Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Decided since we’re still in the thick of it with the gradual tear down and rebuild of every single removable part it was prob a good time to properly tackle the undercarriage to keep it rust free for another 40+ years. After reading a multitude of forum posts, searching body shop forums, and talking with pros I landed on the following for Annie’s undercarriage: 2 coats epoxy primer, 3M seam sealer on top followed by 3M body schutz on top. Waxoyl will be sprayed in all the frame cavities afterwards. While I’m sure there a prob a million ways to skin the proverbial cat including POR-15 etc, this is the way we chose to go. To each his own!

Step 1: Break out the heat gun and start scraping old undercoating off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After a couple days of trying this as well as oven cleaner, stripper, lacquer thinner etc, I decided this is for the birds. While I probably could have spent a solid week scrubbing, rubbing, and sanding every last inch, wisdom took over...

Step 2: In three hours, a combination of sand (frame only) and glass beads made the front third clean as a baby’s bottom

Not shown: tented the bus which allowed me to collect and properly dispose of all the residual material

Step 3: take leftover sand and let the kid build sandcastles while I DA sanded a couple of spots. Hence her ear protection

Step 4: donn my best breaking bad/new grocery store suit and shoot some epoxy primer

That’s as far as we got this weekend. Next week we will drop the engine/trans
and blast the remainder of the undercarriage and epoxy primer to take advantage of the limited low humidity weather down here. Then we will mask off and seam seal followed by the body schutz. Stay tuned.
mwallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Looks great! Did you use a spray gun to spray the underside? It must have been tight down on the ground?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

That's great progress! Plus, you're protected from Coronavirus!
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

mwallace wrote:
Looks great! Did you use a spray gun to spray the underside? It must have been tight down on the ground?

Thanks! Yes I used my new Concours 2 HVLP from Eastwood. Surprisingly capable little gun that made me feel like a pro in spite of not having painted anything for the last 20 years. Also it did great with my little 20 gallon portable compressor. Win win!

The height was ok. About 2 ft off the ground in the front. I shoot with the Dekups system which lets me turn the gun sideways and upside down while continuing to spray evenly. Done shamelessly plugging products now...just happy I didn’t screw it up after so much prep work.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Wow.
A suggestion from experience...clean out the tubes that house the throttle cable,etc before you procèed

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Wow!, THAT'S SERIOUSLY AMBITIOUS!, impressive work!

Bet you'll think twice about doing that job ever again Razz

And as Pioneer suggests clean out those cable tubes, and the heat tubes too, first time you are up to speed and turn on the heat you'll get sandblasted by the defroster if you don't.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wow!, THAT'S SERIOUSLY AMBITIOUS!, impressive work!

Bet you'll think twice about doing that job ever again Razz

And as Pioneer suggests clean out those cable tubes, and the heat tubes too, first time you are up to speed and turn on the heat you'll get sandblasted by the defroster if you don't.

Good call guys on the tubes. The smaller tubes I plugged with orange ear plugs so material/sand intrusion is minimal. The bigger ones I’ve already blown out a desert worth of sand. Regardless I’ll shoot them with some compressed air and degrease again. I’m going with a 2.5 Subaru swap (gasp) so not too worried about the heater tubes. Funny enough when I disconnected the front tubes I found a pencil, three rats nests, and a pen from a hotel in California (before area codes were used). So I’m guessing some PO had some minor heating issues which throwing objects into the heater tubes couldn’t resolve. Shocked

I am DREADING doing the back 2/3 of the bus next weekend but at least the results speak for themselves.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Amazing work so far Jeff!! I need to come down and get in the way/make annoying comments like years ago when we were doing bus work together in my driveway/garage!!! I don't think I'll be traveling anywhere anytime soon however. Crying or Very sad
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Hi Charlie
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

You didn’t sandblast that with a 20 lb portable compressor?!? If you did, I want one just like that.
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

That’s some awesome work! We scrubbed and recoated our undercarriage a while back, but not like you’re doing. Good for you! 👍
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Wow... just wow.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

deathman68 wrote:
Good call guys on the tubes. The smaller tubes I plugged with orange ear plugs so material/sand intrusion is minimal.

Stealing this idea, thanks! Cool
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

there could be lead in that paint. Remember that when your kids play in it.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
You didn’t sandblast that with a 20 lb portable compressor?!? If you did, I want one just like that.

No. I’d still be out there if that were the case. I know a guy with an industrial media blasting rig used to strip boat hulls. That said, I do use my 20 gallon to media blast smaller parts and it takes me forever but produces good results.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

deathman68 wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

No. I’d still be out there if that were the case. I know a guy with an industrial media blasting rig used to strip boat hulls. That said, I do use my 20 gallon to media blast smaller parts and it takes me forever but produces good results.

That's a good person to know. I have a 30 gallon compressor that keeps up fairly well for smaller jobs. When I do the undercarriage of my bus, I will probably use it for hard to reach areas.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

The sand/grit being everywhere and in everything is part of the reason I went the manual / super shitty route.

In addition to there being no way in hell I have the time to completely disassemble the entire bottom half of my bus...
bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

Deathman68,

One of the issues I had when I did my undercarriage after sandblasting was getting sand out of the framing members. I removed certain plugs (where I wanted the sand to exit) and found an opening where I could stick an air compressor nozzle in (also used nozzle extensions) and tried to blow out as much sand as I could - until there was no more sand coming out of the opening I was blowing towards. I would then take another seal out, in the opposite side of the same member, and blow out sand until no more would come out. I went back and forth on each side until no more sand was coming out. It took a good while to blow it all out. I think the worst was the front member under the nose.

The problem with the sand being in there is that it will absorb moisture - which will start the rust process within the framing members. It's very tedious work to remove it all, but it really needs to be done. Once you're done, you have the option of using something like an internal frame coating to arrest any existing rust in the members.

The work looks very good. Keep it up - it's worth it in the end.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

bigdaveb wrote:
Deathman68,

One of the issues I had when I did my undercarriage after sandblasting was getting sand out of the framing members. I removed certain plugs (where I wanted the sand to exit) and found an opening where I could stick an air compressor nozzle in (also used nozzle extensions) and tried to blow out as much sand as I could - until there was no more sand coming out of the opening I was blowing towards. I would then take another seal out, in the opposite side of the same member, and blow out sand until no more would come out. I went back and forth on each side until no more sand was coming out. It took a good while to blow it all out. I think the worst was the front member under the nose.

The problem with the sand being in there is that it will absorb moisture - which will start the rust process within the framing members. It's very tedious work to remove it all, but it really needs to be done. Once you're done, you have the option of using something like an internal frame coating to arrest any existing rust in the members.

The work looks very good. Keep it up - it's worth it in the end.

Dave

Hey Dave. Thanks for the advice! I blew out at least a sandbox equivalent of sand from the front frame member as you mentioned and also from the little plug areas at the rear of the front wheel wells. Took forever but finally managed to get it blowing out nothing but air. Next step I will use my long nozzle extension and waxoyl those hard to see/reach places.

It’s so great to see all the different methods samba members have employed to achieve good results.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress Continues...undercarriage time (pic heavy)! Reply with quote

I had some success with the needle scaler today. I tried it out on the pan that goes under the pedals. I had the undercoating off in about 20 minutes but left the grey factory paint in decent condition. Easy when it’s on the bench and I know in places it’s way thicker.

I will post some pics.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: