Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Posting pics from an iPhone / iPad
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Posting pics from an iPhone / iPad Reply with quote

Tutorial from jon65
To summarize what I do:
When you arrive at the home page of the site, select the "add photo" button on the gallery drop-down menu, sign in, upload the photo as described in this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Then when you want to use the pics in a post (using safari), you would need to open up two tabs. One tab you will use to look up the img code for the pics, and the other tab will be used to write the post.

In the tab you are going to use to write the post, click the "post reply" button (log in again if you need to), then when you arrive at the message box switch over to the 2nd tab.

In the 2nd tab, go to the gallery (you don't have to log in with this tab) and pull up the picture that you want to include in a post. Then "select all" of the "forum img link" and copy it.

Then switch back over to the 1st tab (that you are writing the post with) and paste the img code in the message box in between the [img][/img] and that's it. Use this process to put more pics in your post (if needed) and add comments and post.

===================================
Original post and updates below:

For people using older phones or older Apple operating systems:
Update November 1, 2013:
iOS7 will allow multiple upload using Safari. No special steps needed.

Update October 19, 2012:
Per this post from page 2 of this thread:
If you can upgrade to iOS 6, it works

Original post:
I recently modified the gallery to allow photo uploads up to 3 megabytes (MB), which should cover any camera phone pictures up through 8 megapixels (MP).
** Note that photos uploaded that are larger than 1600x1600 pixels are resized to a max of 1600 width/height.

I wanted to start a specific thread for iPhones as several people have told me they cannot upload and I want to be able to send them a link to this thread.

The message below was posted in another thread a while back, does anyone else have any other advice?
Please post.

You just need a different browse than Safari. Download and use iCab mobile from the app store; it supports picture uploads from the iPhone.

mattcuddy wrote:
This seems to come up a lot, so for those wanting to upload pictures from their iPhone to thesamba.com galleries, it can be done. And with the quality of phone pictures these days there's no reason not to. Best part is, you don't need to jailbreak your phone. You just need a different browse than Safari. Download and use iCab mobile from the app store; it supports picture uploads from the iPhone. In fact I just posted this picture from my iPhone, so it's even been tested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just note that you'll probably have to resize your picture in some other app prior to uploading.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not "anyone else", but the pain in the ass part was having to re-size prior to posting. At 3MB this shouldn't be an issue any more. Bravo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

So basically the solution is to install and use iCab.

Just wondering if there is any other solution that has come about recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

So basically the solution is to install and use iCab.

Correct. At least until Apple updates Safari to include this functionality or someone writes a thesamba.com specific app.

I'm sure there are other mobile phone web browsers that would also work, iCab mobile is just the one I use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it and got a samba site error message 'Bad Upload'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email me the photo - it may be over 3MB.
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: choose file button grayed out Reply with quote

I downloaded & installed iCab, but when I attempted to upload a pic, the "choose file" button is grayed out. what am I doing wrong?
'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: choose file button grayed out Reply with quote

MrVWGuy wrote:
I downloaded & installed iCab, but when I attempted to upload a pic, the "choose file" button is grayed out. what am I doing wrong?

This might sound stupid, but even though you downloaded iCab, are you using it? lets start there. I ask because the words that show up for the photo upload button will differ between Safari and iCab (for some reason unknown to me).

If you are in Safari, the button will say "Choose File" and will be grayed out.

If you are in iCab, the button will say "Select File" and not be grayed out (ie will be "clickable").

Next, let me know what version of iCab you downloaded/run and what version of iOS you are running on your phone.
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: choose file button grayed out Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:
MrVWGuy wrote:

This might sound stupid, but even though you downloaded iCab, are you using it? The words that show up for the photo upload button will differ between Safari and iCab (for some reason unknown to me).

If you are in Safari, the button will say "Choose File" and will be grayed out.

If you are in iCab, the button will say "Select File" and not be grayed out (ie will be "clickable").

I'm embarrassed to say, I was in fact not using iCab after all. Embarassed In my excitement to try & upload a pic from my iPhone before I left work for the day, I inadvertently downloaded the web browser "Mercury" instead! Sorry. I just successfully uploaded with iCab!
'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: choose file button grayed out Reply with quote

MrVWGuy wrote:
I just successfully uploaded with iCab!

Cool. Glad to see you got it figured out!
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the iCab tip. Will it only work in the gallery? I can't seem to upload a photo to the classifieds. It acts like its processing the pic but it doesn't show up in the ad.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it lets you select and upload a pic, it is working.

But... since it's uploading a huge camera phone pic via your phone's web browser, there may be an issue with actually uploading it - internet speed, etc.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only one having this issue? I've tried it on my iPhone and my iPad... Still no dice. I even downloaded a crappy pic to make sure it wasn't the size of the photo that was creating the issue.

I was able to upload to the gallery without a problem. It's the classifieds that gives me trouble.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricekooker wrote:

I was able to upload to the gallery without a problem. It's the classifieds that gives me trouble.

I have that same issue, but never noticed it until now (probably cause I don't post many classifieds). Weird. I'll look into it and see if I can figure it out. I'd be inclined to think that if iCab lets you pick a file, which it does, that all would be fine; and that the issue is with a difference in the way thesamba.com uploads pics gallery vs. classified.

EverettB: FYI the Classifieds FAQ still has the old size limit noted.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/faq.php?mode=classifieds#9
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what the difference would be.

Not the best check but just so I could check something:
I used my Droid as I had never posted an ad or ad photos using my Droid phone either. I added a photo, taken with my camera, to one of my existing ads with no problems.

I updated the FAQ text - thanks.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around with a bunch of iCab settings and various upload scenarios. No dice.

EverettB wrote:
I am not sure what the difference would be.

Looking at the source coding for the upload lines of the gallery and classified screens it looks like the only difference is that the gallery screen has a ( class="post" ) snippet in there that isn't in the classified coding. Maybe it makes a difference? Or at least for iCab it does? Coding example below.

<input class="post" type="button" name="pic_file[]" size="49" multiple="" value="Select File" _icabmobilefileid_="1"> Photo #2

*note the _icabmobilefileid_="1" is auto populated by icab
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should not matter, all that is is a CSS class that is setting background color only.

For me the gallery is:
<input class="post" type="file" name="pic_file[]" size="49" multiple />
This the non-phone HTML as seen in Firefox.
I can't do a View source on my phone.

Matt,
Do you have the same issue if you try to add a photo to an existing ad?

There is another difference in the upload for the classifieds but only in that it spits out some feedback messages while it's working, like "Processing image XXXXX.jpg" and so on. I could turn that off as a test, PM me if you want to try that.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
That should not matter, all that is is a CSS class that is setting background color only.

For me the gallery is:
<input class="post" type="file" name="pic_file[]" size="49" multiple />
This the non-phone HTML as seen in Firefox.
I can't do a View source on my phone.

Ok, rats, thought it worth a try. My HTML knowledge is marginal at best. Most phone browsers don't have " view source" built in and just require an add in of sorts.

EverettB wrote:

Matt,
Do you have the same issue if you try to add a photo to an existing ad?

There is another difference in the upload for the classifieds but only in that it spits out some feedback messages while it's working, like "Processing image XXXXX.jpg" and so on. I could turn that off as a test, PM me if you want to try that.

Yep , same issue trying to add a picture to an existing ad. For what it's worth, in both scenarios there is no picture uploaded at all. And not a situation where a blank "place holder" picture is loaded but with no image in it.

PM sent. And I'll email the developer to see if he has any thoughts, he actually responds to personal requests/inquiries.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Matt and I will try to work this out directly for a while to see what can be done.

Ongoing: I am working with Matt and possibly the iCab developer to figure it out...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed!

The Classifieds will work now with iPhone/iPad pictures, using the iCab browser.

Thanks to Matt for all the testing as I tweaked things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: