Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody recognize this exhaust?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Anybody recognize this exhaust? Reply with quote

Hi All, I picked this up a little while ago, 30hp fitment, it does not have any manufacturers names, only a few numbers. Has anybody seen one similar before? Thanks for any help! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as though it was made to transplant a VW engine into certain year Porsche 356.

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It looks as though it was made to transplant a VW engine into certain year Porsche 356."

Decent guess. Many years ago I was given a used 356 muffler; don;'t know if it is for an A, B or C. Biggest difference to yours is that the two upper pipes for the rear cylinders enters the muffler main chamber round-shaped "tube" from the REAR (rear of car); that is; the pipes leave the head, travel over the tube, curve down to the ground and then frontward, entering the rear face of the muffler tube pointing straight forward near the bottom of the tube. I don't know if other, possibly earlier year 356 mufflers had their upper pipes coming in to the front face of the muffler tube like yours do. The 356 muffler I have has different shaped pipe inlet flanges for the two upper pipes, since the exhaust ports are vertical rectangles instead of the VW's round shape.

The muffler tube is 32" long, and the two large oval-shaped exhaust pipes are approx. 12" long and 10" apart.

I measured a stale-air 40hp muffler I have (I don;'t have a "30hp" one- did you mean 36hp?). The muffler chamber is 27.5" long from outer seam to seam, and the exhaust pipes are 13" apart.

Beetle engine compartments are not wide enough for the 356-width muffler, but Ghia ones are. Bus maybe also; I never owned one so I can't tell. Your upper pipes appear to be welded onto the muffler tube cleanly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: