Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EZ Awning Plus Bent Poles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a matter of curiosity, how many clamps are you using on the rain gutter?

I use a couple spring clamps, the smaller sized ones, like in the link below, as a 'supplement' to the ones that come in the kit... might solve your problem with keeping the poles in the rain gutter, and may prevent them from slipping apart.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Clamps/16f0100s1.jpg
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured my cross support poles and came up with 163 1/4". I've got some spare poles from
an old screen room that I can cut down and make shorter. I'll give it a try and see if it makes a
difference.

Depending upon how much you use your awning, will probably determine if your poles will eventually
start to bend. Mine are bending, I have used the awning quite a bit in the year I have owned it.

On another note I also have the smaller awning and it doesn't have any of the bending symptoms'
that the larger does.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the thread title threw our understanding.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL1 wrote:
as a matter of curiosity, how many clamps are you using on the rain gutter?

I use a couple spring clamps, the smaller sized ones, like in the link below, as a 'supplement' to the ones that come in the kit... might solve your problem with keeping the poles in the rain gutter, and may prevent them from slipping apart.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Clamps/16f0100s1.jpg

I tried this method out this weekend. I used another set of clamps on the awning but still had some
separation of the inner poles. The extra clamps do keep the poles straight in the gutter though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

I tried taping the poles together this long Weekend. It worked beautifully. Much better coverage and held up to a pretty big thunderstorm here in NS. There was no separation of the poles at all. Great idea. I now will be storing a roll of duct Tape in my awning bag. I just used a piece ripped in half lengthwise to hold them together. I am not sure if I am installing mine the same way as your pics. My long pole completely sits in my rain gutter. My next setup I will snap a pic to show ya.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we used our EZ awning for the first time this weekend. We have the smaller one. Ours uses at total of 4 poles on the inside edge and the outside edge as best we could tell. No directions shipped with ours either. We have a backpack tent so we are used to the flex support poles. I determined that the edge poles are about a 1/4 inch too long. During assembley the velcro on one packet pulled the stitches. It was sewn too close to the edge of the flap.

I marked all the poles while it was setup for reference and modification. I am going to cut about a 1/4 inch off all 4 edge poles the ones with the plastic cap that seat in the velcro pocket. I will drive the plugs out, cut down and reinstall hopefully. I am going to resew the velcro as well where it pulled away. Overall, I am not impressed. It was nice to have the outdoor space and the head room is good for me, but the overall quality and fit is just not there.

I also purchased the jack point leg extensions, but never did figure out how to attach them to the jack points or how to attach the legs to the jack point adapters. They have a cutout that fits the tang on the inside of the jack point, a nylon cylindrical bushing and two different size thumb wheels that appear to be designed for tightening the adapters, but on my 82 seem to be in space. If someone has a picture of the jack point adapter and the awning leg extensions attached I would appreciate it.

I agree, a set of directions or a you tube video would be helpful. I am also going to make feet for the upright poles. The open tube design of the legs wanted to sink into the sand. I would give the awning 2 stars out of 5. To the original poster, they edge poles do seem to be bound up to the point of flexing out of straight. markw
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Ok, we used our EZ awning for the first time this weekend. We have the smaller one. Ours uses at total of 4 poles on the inside edge and the outside edge as best we could tell. No directions shipped with ours either. We have a backpack tent so we are used to the flex support poles. I determined that the edge poles are about a 1/4 inch too long. During assembley the velcro on one packet pulled the stitches. It was sewn too close to the edge of the flap.

I marked all the poles while it was setup for reference and modification. I am going to cut about a 1/4 inch off all 4 edge poles the ones with the plastic cap that seat in the velcro pocket. I will drive the plugs out, cut down and reinstall hopefully. I am going to resew the velcro as well where it pulled away. Overall, I am not impressed. It was nice to have the outdoor space and the head room is good for me, but the overall quality and fit is just not there.

I also purchased the jack point leg extensions, but never did figure out how to attach them to the jack points or how to attach the legs to the jack point adapters. They have a cutout that fits the tang on the inside of the jack point, a nylon cylindrical bushing and two different size thumb wheels that appear to be designed for tightening the adapters, but on my 82 seem to be in space. If someone has a picture of the jack point adapter and the awning leg extensions attached I would appreciate it.

I agree, a set of directions or a you tube video would be helpful. I am also going to make feet for the upright poles. The open tube design of the legs wanted to sink into the sand. I would give the awning 2 stars out of 5. To the original poster, they edge poles do seem to be bound up to the point of flexing out of straight. markw

A bit fast but you'll get how easy it is to put up with repeated trys.

Link

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Last edited by Timwhy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I can't get your you-tube link to load properly. Thanks though. markw
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with your rating, though I give it 2.5 stars, only because it gets easier to use over time. I also found the poles 'seemed' to be too long, but the awning seems to stretch after a couple times. I also found that in a strong breeze, the outside ploes will bend when you try to tighten the anchor lines too much - I have the longer model. I am going to try carbon fibre poles for the outside of the awning this season as they can take the extra strain and flex instead of bend. Still cheaper than a fiamma Wink
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Tim, I can't get your you-tube link to load properly. Thanks though. markw

Fixed it for ya!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your video looks like about how we figured it out. We were trying to keep it off the ground and had it over a picnic table during assembly. Thanks for posting. I'd still like to see a close up picture of the jack point adapters being used for the awning leg extensions installed. Since I could not see how to use the leg/jackpoint extenders I just set the legs on the ground as designed.

I was thinking attaching to the van would have kept the dog from wrapping his lead line around the legs, but with the legs against the van's jackpoints, I found them more in the way for us, so I may abandon that whole idea. We usually don't tie the dog up anyhow. Lesson learned.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depots site for the jack points.
http://www.busdepot.com/jp7905

Here's the pic alittle bigger

If I am not mistaken you will still need the extra set of poles to reach the Jack Points for the brackets or
did they come with the kit?

I am a big fan of BD's side walls for their EZ Awning, perfect for my climate, bugs to sun to rain
and maybe snow?

As far as setup goes with the awning, I just make sure my outside carpet is down and I put it together
on that.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, there must be a difference in the jack points of my 82. Or the larger thumbscrew was installed backwards. I can check that. I did try to flip the smaller of the two thumbdrives screws for the leg attachment, but the plastic head is bigger than the bracket on the leg pictured. So, it would not snug up. I should have taken a picture. I can probably machine down the head of the smaller one in our lathe to get it to fit within the bracket.

The jack point kit did include 2) two peice legs for the extra distance. Back to the drawing board and thanks for posting the pictures. They are worth a thousand words. markw
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: bus Depot awning on a 1984 westy Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus This is a BD awning the short one, never had a problem with it. The more you put it up the faster it goes. You get what you pay for, for the $ they are great. On my Syncro went with a shady boy like it better but a lot more cost. Some day when I'm rich and famous I'll get a Fiamma for even more cost ! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, the large thumbscrews were installed backwards from BD. So, that is why it made no sense and I stared at them for quite a while. Mystery solved. Now to deal with the smaller thumbscrews that hold the awning legs to the jack point adapters. I am thinking the easiest fix would be to come up with small spacers to fit between the thumbscrews and the awning leg extension feet. Thanks again. markw
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Update, the large thumbscrews were installed backwards from BD. So, that is why it made no sense and I stared at them for quite a while. Mystery solved. Now to deal with the smaller thumbscrews that hold the awning legs to the jack point adapters. I am thinking the easiest fix would be to come up with small spacers to fit between the thumbscrews and the awning leg extension feet. Thanks again. markw

Can you post a pic of them?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, A picture of which? The jackpoint adapters or the small thumscrews that don't fit down in the extended leg feet?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackpoint adaptors would be good.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to tonight.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I go somewhat OT, but the Bus Depot awning still not as perfect as all the iterations they claim to be through and the fit is just so so....

Timwhy wrote:
Bus Depots site for the jack points.
http://www.busdepot.com/jp7905

Here's the pic alittle bigger

If I am not mistaken you will still need the extra set of poles to reach the Jack Points for the brackets or
did they come with the kit?

I am a big fan of BD's side walls for their EZ Awning, perfect for my climate, bugs to sun to rain
and maybe snow?

As far as setup goes with the awning, I just make sure my outside carpet is down and I put it together
on that.

I was so disgusted with the the under the tire thing for vans with cladding that I made my own!

My Bus depot kit came with 2 poles and they work as both uprights and as attachments for the jack points. I am unhappy with how easy the little cheesy sheet metal ends bend in the jack point mounts. That is an area that needs improvement too. Also, the gold iridite (sp?) plating is not the right class and rubs off too easy and then the metal rusts.

If you want to make it free standing you have to order an extra set of poles. I have not used my extra set of poles yet to make it free standing.

I like the steel Coleman poles you can buy at Walmart a lot too. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Steel-Tent-Pole-8/17215250

I can not say I am a huge fan of my Bus Depot awning. It is likely better for worse conditions then what I subject it to. I prefer my lighter, cheaper and smaller to pack K-Mart $24 (on sale) awning which has its own thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526589

I like the $24 awning better for head room, but it is really a lighter duty awning, but I tie it down well and do not have issues. PLUS, I ***REALLY*** like the fact it all packs into a nice little case much smaller than the BD one (I wish the BD one had a carry tote, too....)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: