Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

I sense a TennesseeVanagons facebook group/club in the making.... If you build it... they will come.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

I'm Heading down to Rock Island, TN. Oct. 21st for a Dealers Open House at Jackson Kayaks. Taking the week before to do the Blue Ridge Parkway tourist thing. I've been checking out different camp sites on the way down. I'm going to spend a few days in Tenn. So what's going on down there??
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

Asheville is awesome. I have not had the courage to climb the mountains with my Westy coming from Johnson City. I think it would make it.

If you do plan on passing through Johnson city, there is a nice free camping spot at blue hole in Elizabethton I highly recommend. It's in a valley, where you can hear the river, and if you make a fire the wind will carry the smoke away. It's a nice waterfall too. PM me for more info. I added it to vanalert but I don't know if it got posted.
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

I broke down in Nashville a few weeks ago so technically am in TN. Thank goodness I have friends here. But I am trying hard to find a used transaxle or someone good who can rebuild... And someone who can remove and replace at reasonable cost. Any chance anyone can help direct me the right way?

90 Vanagon carat rwd 4speed. Really appreciate any help. Trying to get home.
WestyJP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

@Bassyaks

I'm sure you'll enjoy the BRP. It's a world class drive and it goes near plenty of interesting spots. There's a ton going on all over E. TN, WNC, VA and the other places you'll pass through or by. It's tempting to start listing sites to see etc. but without knowing your interests there's not much point. I'd suggest giving yourself time to explore on and off the parkway as you make the trip and you'll surely find treasure.

I'll share one BRP tip though. If you don't know already, you can't camp on the BRP except at campsites. That will have you making reservations or driving off parkway to get to campgrounds at some sections, but usually not too far. One of the more convenient, beautiful, close and free BRP campsites that I know of on the whole BRP is the parking lot at the end of the road to the Black Balsam trails/area. BB is 45 minutes to 1 hours drive on the BRP from Asheville, to the SouthWest so it can be a good spot to go to after time in AVL. Waterfalls, hiking, blueberries, early Fall colors (up high) etc. should be easy to find in the area around Graveyard fields and Black Balsam this time of year and you can enjoy it all from a free camping spot with an amazing view. I prefer the patch of gravel near the gate with the view out the sliding door. Below is a picture from the road up to the Black Balsam parking lot, 1/4 mile or so from where you can camp.

Oh yeah, the waterfalls at Rock Island State Park are awesome if you have time to go see them.

Have a great trip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

nevyn wrote:
I broke down in Nashville a few weeks ago so technically am in TN. Thank goodness I have friends here.

Nevyn, good to hear from you. I am the guy that talked with you for a bit at the rest area. Sorry to hear it was the transmission, hopefully things will come together for you. I've contacted Joey Little of Little Imports in Cookeville regarding the transmission. Hopefully he'll contact either of us.
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

Since this has come back to the top, HELLO from Sevierville! Anyone else planning on attending Circle Yer Wagons next weekend, 10/7 and 10/8?

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
nevyn wrote:
I broke down in Nashville a few weeks ago so technically am in TN. Thank goodness I have friends here.

Nevyn, good to hear from you. I am the guy that talked with you for a bit at the rest area. Sorry to hear it was the transmission, hopefully things will come together for you. I've contacted Joey Little of Little Imports in Cookeville regarding the transmission. Hopefully he'll contact either of us.

Good to hear from you again! It was great talking with you at the rest stop. I appreciate you making contact for me. Do you have opinion on any of the rebuild folks in the nation? I've found a few options but spending a few days looking a little more, asking a few more people, hunting around best as I can before I make the leap and buy it. Looks like I'll be getting on the road again in the not too distant future, one way or the other! =)
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

There are a few of us in Nashville, though me and the van are in Ecuador right now. Syncrogreg and a few others are still in the Nashville area though. We had a Nashville Vanagon Club group on Facebook but since there were so few of us it was changed to the Overlander's club.

Now when we get back to the States and pass through TN I know what thread to look on to start asking for driveways to sleep in Wink

RedWingRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

Bought an '84 Westfalia in Cali in February just before the Covid-19 lockdown. currently live in Coker Creek just south of Tellico Plains. Have been camping near Bald River a couple of times to try it out. working on the kitchen, seat belts and looking into a Bostig conversion. Happy Camping. Smile
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

Aha, thread from the dead.
I'm still in Knoxville, as are several more, even more scattered throughout East Tennessee.
I did for a FB page recently, Vanagons of ETN. I think it's private, so anyone probably has to request to join.
tuanis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

Old thread but hoping someone might be able to help - Has anyone had any experience registering a van w/ a subaru swap in TN? I just moved to the Nashville area and am considering buying an 84 westy from out of state with an EJ22 swap, but not sure what headaches I'm going to run into with emissions and any other inspections when I go to register the van.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tennessee roll call. Our vans kick a$$ Reply with quote

tuanis wrote:
Old thread but hoping someone might be able to help - Has anyone had any experience registering a van w/ a subaru swap in TN? I just moved to the Nashville area and am considering buying an 84 westy from out of state with an EJ22 swap, but not sure what headaches I'm going to run into with emissions and any other inspections when I go to register the van.

No inspections here in TN! Nashville is home of SyncroRanch property owned by Greg at Boxeer. He has a sweet van and pretty sweet conversions.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memphalia wrote:
Finally figured out how to post photos. Here is one before the SA grill and GW wheels on the bank of the Mighty Mississippi just north of Memphis.

after the SA grill and GW 16 inch wheels

Good looking van. Happy days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: