Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

After using the GoWesty 'method' of installing nut-serts, I need to invest in a proper tool.

Does anyone have any experience with some proper tools for this area?

This is the one I'm looking at. Amazon
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

Brandon I've got a different brand but same plunger-style. Highly recommend.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

I've got the Astro Tool version, same sorta thing, much much better than the double nut method. You'll find all sorts of uses for them after you get the proper tool

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

I have that same $58 tool.
Quality is good, kind of hard to believe you can get that tool for $58, delivered.
In a case too!
Metric M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 M12; SAE 10-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16

==== OK slow down a moment =====

You will probably use it for m4, m5, m6.
The handles are long enough to set m10, m12, 3/8".
Will you set these large sizes? How often?
As such you will curse the long handles every time you want to set an m5 or m6
....in "close quarters" where the size of the tool and handle-swing prevents you from even accessing where the hole is.

---->you know the idiom.....: "not enough room to swing a cat" Coen Bros. "Down by Law"Wink

So you dig out your shadetree unit, and conclude, in comparison, that if you only have one or two riv-nuts to set, very little time was saved if any
and it works pretty darn good.
Setting four or more rivnuts the larger contraption will save time.
You know, "the boss lookin' over your shoulder, crackin' the whip" (etc).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I often revert to the shadetree method because theres not enough space to swing 14 inch handles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I could do it again I'd investigate this unit. $147 Astro Pneumatic Tool ADN38 XL Rivet Nut Drill Adapter Kit - 3/8" Capacity
It's powered by an 18v drill.

They curiously employ the sales reduction method of omitting the thread size range,
but I dug thru the 'customer answered questions' and found it.
"Includes 10-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16 and M5, M6, M8 & M10"
So this crucial sales detail is not a well protected trade secret.... Wink

I've never tested one myself, but I do have a friend who bought one about a year ago.
He still hadn't tried it last time I talked to him.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue May 05, 2020 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

with the adjustable center section on the astro you can gradually walk the handles closed, and ive found they typically fit into more places when theyre almost open - then you can open/close them in small increments while keeping their overall length short.

i dont know if describing that makes sense, i havent had a lot of coffee yet...

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
with the adjustable center section on the astro you can gradually walk the handles closed

Makes total sense 'cuz I've had to do that too.
....by now I hope you're enjoying your coffee! Wink Good morning!

That's very much like reverting to the shadetree method, but you still need 14 inches of vertical clear space for some handle action.

That other 18v unit is intriguing however...
'cuz if there's space to get the drill motor in there to make the hole, there's space to set the nut.
But again, I haven't tried it, (just imagining.... there's always a better tool out there). Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

ah, i know what im doing wrong in that description! Laughing

you can start with the tool all the way, or almost all the way open. (that way your vertical clearance from the face of the rivnut is relatively small)
then compress the handles an inch or two, then snug up the center again and open the handles, then repeat. requiring minimal vertical clearance. but you do need a fair bit of side-side room for this.

in other words you can move the handles anywhere, and squeeze them as much as youve got room to, before sinching up the center and going through that same travel again.

i had to do this recently mounting my catch can rivnuts to the side of my relatively crowded engine bay

Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TODXQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one and am very happy; a once in a lifetime investment Brown Vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TODXQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one and am very happy; a once in a lifetime investment Brown Vanagon

x2 I have the exact same one. It comes with lots of nuts, works perfectly for my riv nut needs.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

I have one similar to the above just a different brand

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637175300/threaded-nut-riveter-short-arm

Has done the job well so far got into position ok under the van when required
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

I have the Astro and it’s been great except in small spaces.

Couple of lessons learned. Do not install the nuts backwards - on purpose - for any reason. Tightening the bolt in theses situations uncompresses the now brittle nutsert. Seemed like a good idea at the time?

I also tack weld any nutsert I can so as to reduce the chance of it spinning in the future. Been there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

Another vote for this tool, I used it to install rivnuts for all my ABS door panels, works great.

Only complaint is that because of the open handles, it occupies quite some space, so it's difficult to access some holes (ended up buying a cheap Harbor Freight vertical rivnut tool just to install a single rivnut at the bottom of the sliding door where I couldn't fit the other tool).

The Astro Pneumatic is one of those tools that will remain with my toolbox forever, and that will be used every year for sure.

joetiger wrote:
gonewesty4good wrote:

x2 I have the exact same one. It comes with lots of nuts, works perfectly for my riv nut needs.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

I’ve used all 3 methods, manual with a bar of metal, 90 degree style like a traditional pop riveter, and now the Long Arm style.
Manual works for small rivnuts fairly well, but is tiring for multiple installs.
The 90 degree style is great for tight spaces, but doesn’t have the leverage that the long arm style gives me.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quality Rivet Nut tool recommendation? Reply with quote

Wow. Awesome responses and tips! Thank you all! With popular demand, I went with the Astro.

Looking forward to trying it out!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: