Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

update: Spal aftermarket power window installation w/photos
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: update: Spal aftermarket power window installation w/photos Reply with quote

I just upgraded my aftermarket power windows to Spal system. I had the Autoloc for 2-3 years and the driver side finally gave up the ghost. I found out through some research Spal was one of the best atermarket power window systems. So I decided to replace mine with the Spal system and not Autoloc. I'm using the same switch from the Autoloc.

Cons of Autoloc:

1. Made in China

2. Passenger side is slower then driver side

3. Bit more noisy

4. Price was higher

5. Less then stellar reviews

Pros of Spal :

1. Made in Italy

2. Superior quality

3. Same speed for both sides

4. You can tell by the pictures Spal uses cable system which makes it much smoother

I can't complain too much about the autoloc, I paid $165 and I got good 3 years out of them. Plus the switches are still working great so I just bought the Spal system without the switches.

I bought mine at A-1 Electronics which also sells aftermarket power locks/ alarm which I installed few months ago.
http://www.a1electric.com
I would definitely recommend Spal and A-1 power locks/keyless alarm system.
I paid $119 without the switches. They sell the switches for about $49
A-1 electronic said they've seen these Spal system work for 10 years and more. Even if it last 5 years I would be very happy. Only time will tell.

By the way it took me about 3-4 hours to install. At first when you open the box with all the parts it looks pretty intimidating but its really not that bad. Gives all the templates to cut out the holes to the panel and all you need is 7/64 drill for the screws. Hardest part is fishing the wires through the door jam rubber.

You'll never go back to manual window once you have this system. One of the best $160 I've spent on my Van.

Here are some pictures of the Spal system
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pictures of Autoloc

Picture of the switch. Illuminates in the dark. Maybe better then OG ?

Last edited by whynotvw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you convert an original manual window can or was it
factory power to start? I want to help convert a friends
manual windows to power and not use up my stash of
good factory power stuff on his van.

Edit:looked at website and looks like this kit would be
Prefect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
Did you convert an original manual window can or was it
factory power to start? I want to help convert a friends
manual windows to power and not use up my stash of
good factory power stuff on his van.

Edit:looked at website and looks like this kit would be
Prefect.

I converted the manual window. You could see on the second picture the gears going around the manual crank and the plastic cap that goes over the manual crank hole on the door panel. You could pop the plastic cap out and crank it manually in case of emergency.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome post...Vera will be getting a set of these.
I second a-1, I got their power door kit . its really nice
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is.. again.. proof positive that I should NOT peruse the forum on Saturday mornings.

I read the post.. visited the site and thought.. "DAMN. How many times have I wished I could roll up/down the passneger side window.. not that I am doing 70 on the FWY?"

Impulse buy!

Thanks WhynotVW... A kit is on its way to my home. My base model GL will soon have power windows.. and the icing on top? The manual crank mechanism is still in use meaning that the windows can be easily rolled down in an emergency, (as noted).

Will follow up when I get around to an install.

cheers,
j

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
You could pop the plastic cap out and crank it manually in case of emergency.

Can you mount a regular window crank on there and use it when parked? That would be the best of both worlds!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: those window switches. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be cool to put one of the shallow flip out ashtray (like in the rear of the van) in that spot with those switches on the inside. That way it would be flush until you need them, at which time you just pull out and click.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
whynotvw wrote:
You could pop the plastic cap out and crank it manually in case of emergency.

Can you mount a regular window crank on there and use it when parked? That would be the best of both worlds!

Sorry you can't mount the manual window crank. But it would take one second to put the key in the ignition and push the button. That would be easier then cranking the window up.

Last edited by whynotvw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Re: those window switches. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be cool to put one of the shallow flip out ashtray (like in the rear of the van) in that spot with those switches on the inside. That way it would be flush until you need them, at which time you just pull out and click.

I'm sure its possible but the switches look better then factory in my opinion plus it illuminates at night which makes it really cool. I'm not sure if the factory ones illuminated. I think the switches mounted flat and not flush makes it much more convenient and it totally looks like it belongs there so I personally wouldn't hide it. But I'm sure it's possible.

Very clean look, I'm sure Spal switches will look even better.

Illuminated at night
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spal swtces are shallow flush mount that look very nice.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock switches are illuminated

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of these today!!! Thanks to this thread. Looking forward to getting rid of my crank windows.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
I just ordered a set of these today!!! Thanks to this thread. Looking forward to getting rid of my crank windows.

Congrats, technically your not getting rid of the crank windows because motor uses the crank window mechanism Very Happy Just being a smart alec. If you need some help on the install let me know. You will love the power windows. I had it for three days now and it is real smooth, way better then Autoloc. I'm very happy with it.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Congrats, technically your not getting rid of the crank windows because motor uses the crank window mechanism Very Happy Just being a smart alec. If you need some help on the install let me know.

Laughing Getting rid of my crank by hand windows? Laughing Thanks for the offer of help. I'll probably have them in the day they arrive on my doorstep though.

Only thing I'm concerned about though, A-1 had a sale on the kit with the flush mount switches included for $149. I'm wondering if I should have gotten the surface switches instead?

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
whynotvw wrote:
Congrats, technically your not getting rid of the crank windows because motor uses the crank window mechanism Very Happy Just being a smart alec. If you need some help on the install let me know.

Laughing Getting rid of my crank by hand windows? Laughing Thanks for the offer of help. I'll probably have them in the day they arrive on my doorstep though.

Only thing I'm concerned about though, A-1 had a sale on the kit with the flush mount switches included for $149. I'm wondering if I should have gotten the surface switches instead?

I'm sure any of the switches will work fine. Couple of helpful notes though.

1. Use a long thickest zip tie and tape the wire to the zip tied in the front and fish the wires through the door jam boot. (thats how the pros fish the wires).

2. Make sure you use really good connectors to the motor to the switches. or just solder it. I just soldered mine together.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to do it all over again, I would've installed the A-1 keyless and the Spal power window at the same time. So I don't have to take out the door panels and run the wires at the same time.

For both the Spal power window with switches and A-1 keyless entry sytem the total price is around $300. Really, the best $300 you will spend to modernize your Vanagon and the keyless power lock system comes with a nice alarm. Very convenient to unlock the doors and to have power windows is a charm.

actuator install Must drill that hole for the linkage

actuator install for slider door

I paid $150 for the labor which was pretty cheap. Got the pro Stereo install guy from Craigslist and had him come to my house. I enjoy watching and learning so if there is a problem I could try to fix it my self.

I did all the hardware installations but for all the wiring I called on the pros. But after watching the pros do the install, the hardest part was fishing the wires through the door jam boots and fishing the wire through the pillar for the sliding door power locks.(that is the hardest) The trick they used was using a biggest zip tie and taping the wires to do all the fishing. If I would've known that trick I think I would've done the whole install myself.

So for $450 I have brand new actuators for power locks, new alarm system, and brand new power windows. Looking back I wish I would've done these two mods earlier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: