Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ALH TDI in a 76 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a short video of the bus in action, vacuum pump cycling on as designed and start up. This week I worked on getting the vacuum system like I wanted it and slowly working on the electrical system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18yjTyOtdUY&feature=plcp
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds evil .. straight pipe off the turbo? Twisted Evil
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a great setup. how well does the radiator/fan setup work?
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My exhaust consist of a 4 inch long down pipe at the moment. Eventually I would like it to be very quiet, just haven't gotten to it yet. The only other component Id like to have before exhaust is my rear mount set up.

So far I don't have any problems out of the cooling system I have been driving the bus up and down a private road. One of the things I still need to do is the electrical portion of the fan control module. Right now I have been monitoring temps through Vagcom and every thing is looking real good. The bus is driving really nice Very Happy
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update, I have probably run two hundred miles on the bus so far. The original fan control module and wiring was way more complex than I needed it to be with the duel fan and to speed set up. The fan I have is a one speed fan and I ended up getting an 1980 rabbit fan control switch and using a heavy duty relay to turn on the fan, much much simpler. The switch is set to come on at 93c and go off at 87c and at the head outlet the fan is coming on at 95.5c which seems pretty good to me. The outdoor temperatures are very mild around here mostly around low to mid sixties. If I pull a pretty good hill and pull over at the top that usually is enough to get the fan to come on for about 30 seconds. Needless to say I am very happy with the cooling system, I know the true test will come in hot weather. Wink
The transmission gearing is very good and there is the beginnings of an exhaust system, just need to get the hangers figured out, that will be after the rear mount is completed. Right now vibrations are not the best hopefully the mount setup in the back will take care of some of that.
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I have traveled over 2000 miles sense re-powering with the TDI. We went on a couple of 400+ mile trips and it is nice having the extra range averaging 30 mpg on 100% bio.
Some of the things I have worked on sense last update are the rear mount setup. This made a huge difference in the vibrations for the bettor. There is still some resonating during acceleration that I would love to get rid of guessing it might be coming from my cheap air filter and exhaust setup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rear seat and bed cushions that were very ratty got redone the upholsterer did a great job on those.

And of course wiring and lose ends

The cooling system is working great a big part of that is because of the efficient radiator and forcing almost all the air to pass through the radiator
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there really should be a really like button

Cool Cool

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of car did you get this engine from. what is an alh tdi Confused

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......So, your radiator fan must be running constantly at highway speeds?. Mine did. I did not think that was a good idea... Confused
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete the engine came out of a 2001 VW Jetta Diesel, that series engine went in 99 through 2003 Beetles, Gulfs, and Jetta TDIs. Very good power plant regarded as one of the best VW or anyone else has made. Right now I don't know the percentage of time the fan is running but it is not all the time. With the moderate temperatures right now I don't think its running much at all because if I push it hard and cut the motor off the fan does not cut on until 10 to 15 seconds later. I know this is subject to change in warmer weather. A friend of mine suggested I put an led in the fan circuit so I could monitor the amount the cooling fan is running and buy the next update that will be in place. Vw designed the fans to run continuously with the A/C on some people never turn that off. Hopefully even in the hot weather I am optimisic that the fan will only run at slower speeds and higher loads. Fingers crossed we shall see Smile
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That turbo sounds awesome. Turn up the fuel pump to keep the tail gators away Twisted Evil
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great engine. I have a 2003 TDI and I'm averaging 53MPG. This would be the engine I would put in a bus if I ever decided to swap out the Type IV.
Great job.
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I here you! It has been worth it, but I am also dealing with some of the decisions I went with like firewall to engine clearance. Everything is working but I am constantly looking for the best solution even if that means going in a different direction. That said this project has come together nicely and I am running a stage 1 tune Razz
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thread and thanks for all the updates. I've got a 1.6TD installed in my '71 but I'm still working out some of the cooling issues...I might have to pick up a radiator like the one you have...

Hope to cross paths sometime!
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested to see the duty cycle % of that fan.

Usually those who put the rad there end up running the fan a lot, but a lot of them didnt bother with mutli pass rads or sealing it up.

Let us know when you find out.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amosdoodle wrote:
Hi its off E-bay very similar if not the same as this don't have the exact site in front of me but this is close. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1992-VW-Golf-Mk2-1-8L...mp;vxp=mtr

Do you know the width of your radiator, or if not, any chance you could measure yours for me?

There are two different core widths* that were standard on these rads: 430 mm and 524 mm (16 7/8" and 20 5/8", respectively). It looks like you have the ~17" one installed, and if that's working for you, I'd like to go with it instead of the larger one that doesn't quite fit as well. But I'd like to make sure before I order it...

* Core width is just the radiator/finned part of the radiator and doesn't include the side pieces.
amosdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys hold up on using the cooling setup for now. After doing some serious testing I am not sold on my setup as designed quit yet. More to come... Shocked
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amosdoodle wrote:
Ok guys hold up on using the cooling setup for now. After doing some serious testing I am not sold on my setup as designed quit yet. More to come... Shocked

Ah well... Le sigh.

I'll be doing some testing over the holidays too, although it'll be difficult to get much real load testing done given that I expect it'll be pretty chilly. We'll see though...
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this thread - WOW, great build!
I owned a Jetta with that engine and yes, they're a great little wagen-pusher. I've considered this before, mainly due to the fact that you can run on diesel, bio, or even grease with a few easy additions.

I'll be following your progress... I'm just up the road in Danville, VA

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating conversion. What is it like driving? Do you have a tach, and what rpms are you running at speed, say 60, 70 mph?
Considering where the radiator is mounted, I'm wondering if it gets enough airflow through it, since the engine compartment is open on the bottom. This would push air up into the compartment, slowing or even stopping air flow. Maybe if you mounted the rad in the right side where the battery is normally, cut a hole through the battery tray and close up the radiator in the compartment. Might have to mount the rad at an angle to get it in. This way, the air comes in the air intake from the outside upper vent, goes straight down and out the back. Another option is to cut some holes in the engine lid?
Great work there, watching!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: