Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition Switch Promblem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

I thought today would be a nice day to go to Walmart in my 1970 bus. Well bus is still at Walmart. When I turn the key to on position everything lights up. When I go to the start position the gen/oil lights will dim but nothing will turn over. Thinking the electrical half of the ignition switch is no good now. I do have a extra electrical half of the switch on hand. Anyway to test that old switch before I go into that repair? I hate that repair. I hate the little grub screw. It is hot today. I just did this repair on my 70 beetle not but a couple of weeks ago. Appreciate any thoughts.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Go to the starter, unplug the red wire on the spade lug, and clip a length of wire to the now vacant starter terminal. With the trans in neutral, touch the other end of the wire to the battery "+" terminal. Engine spins? Bad ignition switch / wiring. No joy? Starter issue.

Some people do this directly at the starter, but I don't like laying under the bus making sparks next to the gas tank and fuel lines. Just not my thing...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Go to the starter, unplug the red wire on the spade lug, and clip a length of wire to the now vacant starter terminal. With the trans in neutral, touch the other end of the wire to the battery "+" terminal. Engine spins? Bad ignition switch / wiring. No joy? Starter issue.

Some people do this directly at the starter, but I don't like laying under the bus making sparks next to the gas tank and fuel lines. Just not my thing...

Okay I know that red wire and spade lug. Are you saying clip a wire to that and go directly to the big positive post directly at the battery for the test? Thanks man for replying. I have sweated out at least 10 gallons today.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
Okay I know that red wire and spade lug. Are you saying clip a wire to that and go directly to the big positive post directly at the battery for the test?

Yup. To make life easy, crimp a good female 1/4" spade terminal to a length of #14 or larger wire, and plug it onto the solenoid where the red wire went to. Remember, the solenoid draws massive current (like 25 amps or better) while it pulls in, so don't skimp on the wire size. Note: it's this massive current draw that eventually eats up the ignition switch, and is why some people circumvent this problem by adding a suitably sized relay to the circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Check the ground strap.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Holy smokes! I fixed it. That little red wire on the back of the starter somehow had jiggled loose. I am now going to hook up an I V and replace all the sweat that just poured out. THANKS man! Your tip had me going the right way! By the way repaired a VW BUS in a Walmart parking lot is not conducive to productivity. I had to talk to about a dozen people and I heard a dozen stories about how folks once had a VW back in the day. I was a good boy and humored them.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Colonel Mosby wrote:
Okay I know that red wire and spade lug. Are you saying clip a wire to that and go directly to the big positive post directly at the battery for the test?

Yup. To make life easy, crimp a good female 1/4" spade terminal to a length of #14 or larger wire, and plug it onto the solenoid where the red wire went to. Remember, the solenoid draws massive current (like 25 amps or better) while it pulls in, so don't skimp on the wire size. Note: it's this massive current draw that eventually eats up the ignition switch, and is why some people circumvent this problem by adding a suitably sized relay to the circuit.

I would like to know more about this relay to make the circuit better. Going to track this knowledge down. Anything to avoid the dreaded grub screw the size of a bed bug. I drop that itty bitty screw everytime I have done the iginition switch repair.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

It's called a "hot start" relay. It was originally a cobby fix for a bad ignition switch or wiring. These days, because all parts are made in China and aren't worth crap, it's a needed improvement to compensate for those poor quality parts (or for preserving the still good OEM German parts that you may still have). You can buy it as a kit (but make sure the relay is rated for at least 40 amps), or build one up from parts. I use an old '60's style Ford starter relay. You want to mount it in the engine compartment, up out of the weather.

Last edited by telford dorr on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
telford dorr wrote:
Colonel Mosby wrote:

I would like to know more about this relay to make the circuit better. Going to track this knowledge down. Anything to avoid the dreaded grub screw the size of a bed bug. I drop that itty bitty screw everytime I have done the iginition switch repair.
Just be sure and mount the relay in the engine compartment and fish the wires through the grommet. A wet relay can cause your starter to drive your bus into the neighbor’s Honda Fit and then up onto their front lawn coming to rest against their apple tree where it eventually burns the relay open. You meet the nicest people in a Honda...... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
It's called a "hot start" relay. It was originally a cobby fix for a bad ignition switch or wiring. These days, because all parts are made in China and aren't worth crap, it's a needed improvement to compensate for those poor quality parts (or for preserving the still good OEM German parts that you may still have). You can buy it as a kit (but make sure the relay is rated for at least 40 amps), or build one up from parts. I use an old '60's style Ford starter relay. You want to mount it in the engine compartment, up out of the weather.

Is this the starter relay? Any idea of how to hook it together?

https://www.partsgeek.com/8zmrv1p-volkswagen-beetle-starter-relay.html
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

What happened to the apple tree?
Did the neighbors house burn down too?

A wet relay can cause your starter to drive your bus into the neighbor’s Honda Fit and then up onto their front lawn coming to rest against their apple tree where it eventually burns the relay open. You meet the nicest people in a Honda...... Cool[/quote]
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
Is this the starter relay? (link)

That's what a lot of people use, although the relay is not terribly heavy duty. This style relay definitely needs to be mounted in a dry protected location!

Quote:
Any idea of how to hook it together?

Sure:
- red wire with big ring terminal to big starter lug
- yellow wire with small ring terminal to body ground
- black wire with insulated male terminal to disconnected starter control wire
- black wire with female terminal to starter spade terminal

[Image borrowed from link]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by telford dorr on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
What happened to the apple tree?
Did the neighbors house burn down too?

A wet relay can cause your starter to drive your bus into the neighbor’s Honda Fit and then up onto their front lawn coming to rest against their apple tree where it eventually burns the relay open. You meet the nicest people in a Honda...... Cool
[/quote] Didn’t hurt the tree or the house and damage to the Honda wasn’t terrible. It was embarrassing and bit costly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

I have to back off my fierce hatred of hot start relays as Telford has reminded me the replacement parts are Shinola nowadays...
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Back 30 years ago, it was an admission of mechanical / technical incompetence if one installed a hot start relay. Now, it's a matter of preservation...
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

I have to back off my fierce hatred of hot start relays as Telford has reminded me the replacement parts are Shinola nowadays...

When it rains it pours. Going to do this for sure. Just ordered the parts. Looking forward to not being stranded! So glad you shared your VW knowledge with me.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Be sure to coat or pack some dielectric grease on or into the 1/4" blade connections so they don't corrode in the weather. Make sure the fuse and relay are weather protected. Mount the relay somewhere that you can pull the fuse in case the relay should stick.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
Abscate wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

When it rains it pours. Going to do this for sure. Just ordered the parts. Looking forward to not being stranded! So glad you shared your VW knowledge with me.

Alternative solution.

Wire a starter button, spring loaded, using fresh fused wire from battery to starter terminal. Now the cheap switch never sees starter solenoid current.

Downside - you need to understand function and realize you can crank the engine at anytime with this button.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

I used a horn button to trigger my relay in the '78 for a few years. Long ago, the coil came loose, rotated around, and grounded the + wire, burning it. I've changed the ignition switch a couple times, more recently with a VW one, and they have never lasted long.

I just ordered another new one, in fact. Going to look at the wiring harness again and see if there is anything more I can clean up, so hopefully this one will actually work for a while!

As far as the relays, I ordered some water proof ones off Amazon earlier this summer. They came with the mount with a wire pigtail attached. It is easy enough to wire up the "kit" that this would be a good way to go.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Promblem Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Be sure to coat or pack some dielectric grease on or into the 1/4" blade connections so they don't corrode in the weather. Make sure the fuse and relay are weather protected. Mount the relay somewhere that you can pull the fuse in case the relay should stick.

Just picked up a tube of that fancy grease. Going to mount the relay in the engine compartment. I think there is a good spot above the voltage regulator and below the charcoal canister.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: