Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas tank pressure
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redrum00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: gas tank pressure Reply with quote

The other day I parked sideways on a serious hill. Not much later I found that gas was leaking out of the tank. But it was leaking and running behind the panel where the cap is. So Im figuring the seal between the tank and the gas cap opening is shot.

Is the tank pressure, which is nothing, going to really effect my vw. It starts up really cold, (i have to start her 3 to 4 times to get her going for good) so could this be the reason??
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your bus is still fuel injected the the tank just works unless it's clogged. It has a return line so fuel is constantly being circulated and you'll never get a vapour lock. I've never removed a tight sealing gascap and heard a long hiss.

You should look at step #6 of this artcile at my wesbite to see how all the pieces of your fuel system go together.

You either have a cracked filler neck or cracked hose that connects the metal tube that comes from the filler neck to the tank itself. Either or both need replacing and it isn't a fun task because of the limited access to tht area with the engine in place.

The filler neck is available again as a reproduction item but the other hose is NLA. You'll need to find a 2 1/4" piece of hose design to carry fuels and cut it to an appropriate shape and fit it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added that you should rule out the battery if you are having starting troubles. When was the last time you charged it? Lots of short trips slowly wear them down and I find I have to put mine on a charger evey six months or so. After I do, it fires up instantly.

I use the battery tender I use for my motorcycle. It takes a long time because it's designed for a smaller motorcycle battery I already happened to already own one so I didn't see the need to purchase another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ratwell, are you talking about one of those small 1.2- 1.6 amp chhargers that you leave hooked up and plug into an extension cord? I've thought about getting one of those to top off the battery overnight on camping trips where there is an outlet but was wondering if was worth it.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Battery Tender Plus is $50-60 and takes a while (overnight) to charge a car battery but they are safe to use all the time. For example back when I had a garage I left my motorcycle on it all the time and the battery is fine.
Redrum00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pointers
Steamboatsig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ratwell, what are your thoughts on the solar battery chargers hooked up via a cigarette lighter? I have one plugged in now, and haven't noticed any effects either way. Thanks.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about them.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think adveturewagen is the resident expert on solar here! Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: