Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thread chaser set?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a thread chaser set. I want to clean up the threads before putting heads back on.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

FWIW, I've heard that sometimes taps and chasers enlarge the existing holes too much and a good solution for just cleaning the threads is the old bolt (or one same size) with cut a vertical/top-to-bottom slot or two in it with a dremmel. That way you are nor removing any new material.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Using an angle grinder to cut a sharp groove into an existing bolt is a great way to chase threads. I've done it before, it works well.

That said, I have a Craftsman thread cleanup kit and they don't enlarge the holes any. They can remove coatings though, and then that sometimes makes a looser fit.

I have a Harbor Freight thread tap kit and that definitely cuts things looser.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

A thread-rolling tap, vs. the more common thread-cutting tap is, in my humble opinion, a better way to “chase” threads.

I tend to use high-quality thread-rolling screws to chase threads. because of my access to such.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

I got an easy out set and tap with proper bits at my local fastenal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

The M12x1.25 nut on the anti-sway bar end link took a leave and the threads on the end link got buggered. I don't have an M12x1.25 die and filing w/ a triangle file isn't delivering an effective result.

Is this end link a candidate for repair or replacement? If repair, what is recommended: thread chaser, thread cutter, file?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Get a thread repair file, it will change your life!

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-177-8-Metric-Thread/dp/B0017R1DOM?th=1

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
The M12x1.25 nut on the anti-sway bar end link took a leave and the threads on the end link got buggered. I don't have an M12x1.25 die and filing w/ a triangle file isn't delivering an effective result.

Is this end link a candidate for repair or replacement? If repair, what is recommended: thread chaser, thread cutter, file?

Thanks.

I think Irwin makes this size , available single piece at my local hardware store for about $10. You will only get 5-10 uses out of these in my experience.

Looks saveable IMHO
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll attempt a repair and report back.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Rather than using a file or thread cutting die, I would recommend getting a thread forming die or a thread repairing die, either of which will work to push the displaced metal back where it belongs rather than just removing it. The result would be a stronger thread.
lcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

It looks like it is currently out of stock, but this is a great thread chaser set that should cover most of your near term metric needs:

https://www.mcmaster.com/25325A14/

It is a USA made JAWCO 1853 chaser set. Maybe you can find it elsewhere…. Worth a look
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Since the threads are worn away, after chasing they won't be very deep in the shaft...ya know like drilling an oversized hole to make tapping easier, it also makes shallow threads that don't have the same grip or clamping/pulling force.
I mean after chasing those out, the nut will still be loose, and if you try and torque on it you might just scrub the nuts threads past the shaft threads, stripping the remaining thread off the shaft.
It might feel ok and tight-ish after chasing but stress of driving movement could have it fail when your someplace where all you can see is trees and the night sky for miles.

I'd replace it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I'll try salvaging it with a thread repair die and will be ready to replace it if that isn't adequate (I've pinged Christopher at T3 to see if he has a replacement but I believe he's using different parts for the HD end links nowadays).

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: thread chaser set? Reply with quote

Follow-up: repairing threads on the T3 Technique HD endlink

I bought this cheapo thread repair set on amazon that included both a file and a chaser die (one hardware store in 35 miles and it doesn't stock such tools)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYGK6GN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

- First, it became clear that there was no way the die could have been used to start the repair because the threads were too damaged and the chaser couldn't be turned with reasonable force.
- The thread repair file (it is a life changer!) did great work returning the threads to some semblance of their former selves but they still needed work in order to function.
- I could then use the chaser to finish the work and reinstall the end link.
- It took about an hour to repair the thread.

Before (after attempting a fix for about 20 minutes with a triangular file, the first four threads looked as bad as the rest)

After

Not having a vice in this shop required some creativity to hold the threads while using a breaker bar to turn the chaser

Crankey wrote:

It might feel ok and tight-ish after chasing but stress of driving movement could have it fail when your someplace where all you can see is trees and the night sky for miles.

I'd replace it.

The end links are on backorder at T3 Technique so I'll see how long this repair lasts. I've had questionable fixes last 30 years, and others that I thought were solid fail in short order. Given this is an anti-swaybar part failure will only result in a wobbly van.

Thanks all for the advice. In the past I've either used a thread cutting tool or a file so this type of thread repair was new to me.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: