Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

84 2wd 1.9 Tintop :
1110 miles per week, for two years Shocked (driving to Corpus Christi from Durango, Co.) Blew one water hose in the desert. Repacked CVs.

86 Syncro Tintop 2.1 :
1110 miles per week, for two years Shocked (driving to Corpus Christi from Durango, Co.) Lost the tranny to the 3/4 slider issue.
Several 3500 mile trips to the Northwest.....Bend, Olympia, Portlandia, etc etc..... Zero problems.

91 Syncro AW Tiico :
2500 miles.....Portland (point of purchase!) to Durango. Zero problems.
4700 miles......Durango, Co. to Sayulita (Mexico mainland) and parts beyond.
Zero problems

91 Syncro AW SVX :
5000 miles.....Durango, Co. to La Manzanilla (Mexico mainland) and parts beyond. Overheated once (cracked head.)
5500 miles.....Durango, Co. to 'all over Baja.) Broken male spade connector on starter solenoid (holy hell to get to!) and hairline crack on tranny.
3500 miles.....Durango, Co. to Bend Oregon....home of German Transaxle, luckily because I lost the tranny there.

88 Westy 2wd 2.1 :
5000 miles.....Durango to the Carolinas, Florida, etc.
Zero problems.
Several 2000 mile round trips from Durango to Texas in the last couple of years.
Zero problems.

That's all I can remember right now, under these circumstances (I'm at work....)

....so, am I blessed? My apologies to Mr. Smug for mentioning so many, insignificant 1100 mile trips Rolling Eyes
Miguel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: apprx 65% completion rate Reply with quote

My figures aren't perfect..because i consider some things a breakdown and some things and easy fix..but its about 65% completion with no problem precentage..but some of these trips are impressive and I didn't count people who said they drove many times with no problems ....because thats just not fair!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: apprx 65% completion rate Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:
..but some of these trips are impressive and I didn't count people who said they drove many times with no problems ....because thats just not fair!

Okay, I just remembered that on that St. Lawrence trip I learned that Vanagon headlight adjusters can break and that replacements are nearly impossible to find. Been making my own since the last one broke.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am far from a mechanic... but I do believe in preventative maintainance. IEspecially since most places I travel are way off the beaten path.

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these vans have a bad mechanical reputation because most owners are CHEAP, and carry spare belts instead of replacing them when they look worn. Things like that. My van has 175K miles on the original engine and trans (looks like newer heads) and it just goes and goes. I've put 10K Miles on it since January when I bought it, and have had one break down, the hall sender in the distributor crapped out on the way home from work one day. But I pulled over, let it cool off for 10 minutes and away I went. Changed it the next day, and no problems since!
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 1989

1983.5 Vanagon 7 passenger tin top (my first Vanagon)

Purchased from origianl owner 2 months prior with 68K original miles on it, heads dripped a few drops of coolant overnight, kept overflow tank topped off

Stratton Maine to Spokane Washington approx. 2850 miles

62 hours solo and non-stop except for gas, food and lots of coffee (also topped off coolant)

CV's started clicking on deceleration in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
Problem: nothing visable
Solution: ignore, keep moving.

Noticed the exhaust was getting very loud in Ohio.
Problem: 1/3 exhaust flanges separated from header pipes (rust)
Solution: asked for repair shop referral from store clerk when I filled up, followed “Old Oak Tree, Smitty’s Barn, and 3 lefts and one right” directions to the “best mechanic in the county” who also had the same name as my Dad. Greeted like family by shop owner, repairs made in 45 minutes with brazing torch and coat hanger metal. Cost was $20 and a promise to bring Lobsters next time I stop by.

Bucking throttle in Idaho
Problem: bad gas?
Solution: two overpriced bottles of Heet from 7-11

Arrived at Spokane Airport in a zombie-like state and the friend who I supposed to meet at the gate found me sleeping in the van in the parking lot. He drove the last leg to Seattle over the next 3 days, sight-seeing in the Cascades, camping under the stars every night and me relearning to walk and form complete sentences.

Good times! Laughing

I repacked the CV’s and reversed them when I reinstalled. No more clicking!

The exhaust system repair lasted for many months and was still intact when I’d save up enough $$ to buy new OEM pipes from University VW. (ouch!) I intended to install them myself while parked under the 15th Ave overpass but a shop in Ballard quoted me $120 to install so I let a stranger touch my Precious. It took them 6 hrs to R&R the rusty pipes with rounded off rusty nuts and bolts and they gave me the van back without installing the pipe support bars… I thanked them for their valiant efforts and gladly paid the bill. For $120, I was happy to finished the easy part of the job myself.

The bucking reappeared off and on… After draining/flushing the fuel tank and replacing the fuel filter numerous times I finally cured it with new plug wires. Doh.

I will NEVER try this stupid human trick again. NEVER!

Spring 2006

1985 Vanagon Westfalia with 185K miles

Owned and maintained by me since 2001

Bainbridge Island WA to Alaska!

Approx.. 8500 miles round trip

I drove to Prince Rupert BC and caught the BC Ferry to Skagway AK. I camped and drove all over Alaska for many weeks, then drove back to Bainbridge Island. I was gone for over 60 days and slept/lived in my Westy every night except 2.

I knew my fuel tank was rusting inside and needed to be replaced before I left but it didn't make the priority list. Rolling Eyes I carried 2 spare filters, bought three more while traveling and changed the fuel filter preemptively every 2 to 3 K miles so that I could choose “where”.

Problems?

I had a slight coolant drip above the spare tire while camped near Denali. Repaired with two new clamps from the spare parts stash under driver’s seat.

I had a slight hesitation/poor mileage problem while driving around the Kenai Peninsula. Resolved with a new o2 sensor from "spares" stash. (also glad I packed a pipe wrench and cheater pipe!)

I let a highly recommended shop in Soldotna AK change my oil and filter. Time and materials $85! First rate shop with high regard for Vanagons, no worries: priceless.

Camping beside the Yukon River near Dawson.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagons Forever!
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria, BC to San Diego and back to Vancouver, BC, autumn 2010

About 2400 miles for the round-trip.

Loose wire in the ignition switch, and failure to start after parking at Gualala on the northern California coast--southbound.
We fixed it with the help of Bentley; no problems from there on in or coming back....though we were glad we were going DOWN the Grapevine coming back, and had taken another route going south....

---
Kathy
85/88 Westy
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: brakedown Reply with quote

Cant t list the many many trips I have gone without one single failure ! Most of the problems experienced were related to poor modification designs. A few were standard VW weaknesses, coolant leaks ect..
I wonder how other cars the same age and ignored maintenance would do ??
edeurmeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Made it pretty far... Reply with quote

We're still on our road trip in our '83 Vanagon.
We left L.A. May 9th of this year and made it all the way to Erie PA via the east coast and Maine yesterday.

So far over 5,000 miles. Changed the oil once and really haven't had to do anything else EXCEPT, we lost power going up hill into town and are stuck in a Wal Mart trying to figure out the problem. Fortunately I've got a friend in California who works on VW's and one of samba's generous vanagon guys has offered the Pittsburgh Vanagon club for assistance so we'll see how it plays out.

Our blog:

gobusgo.wordpress.com

Peace!
Erik
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 1990 Westy
2. 2.2 Wasserboxer
3. Olympia, Washington to Manchester, NH to Baltimore, MD (currently). Back to Portland, ME, Pittsburg, PA then home by mid-August.

Nothing wrong ... yet.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove 9,600 miles in just under 50 days...... 30 days after completing the TDI swap. I had a bolt break on the turbo in Alaska (my fault) and the cylinder head cracked coming back into Montana (the rebuilder ported it waaaay too far and the walls were paper thin. After those bugs were worked out all was well. If I would have had more time road testing I would have caught these problems earlier....every break down we've had we met someone totally cool

89 2wd westy with AHU TDI swap

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fjarellan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 2012

89 Westy

Palm Springs east to Philadelphia, north to Montreal, south west to Toronto and the falls, west across Ontario through MI and across Lake Michigan on the Lake Express to WI continuing due west to the Badlands, Wall Drugs, Yellowstone and then gradually heading south back to Palm Springs and 115 degree summer temp.

No major problems except for losing my engine in Columbia, MO. Well, okay, big problem. Two competing VW mechanics in Columbia, Walt's VW and Tom's VW. Walt used to work for Tom. Found Tom on my iPad and the tow truck driver persuaded me otherwise. I think they call that steering. Anyway Walt figured on at least 3 weeks to repair, said he was backed up and Tom replaced the engine within 4 days and had me back on the road. As we drove off from Tom's VW an 86 Westy from Oklahoma came limping in. They were heading to NYC. Broke the new engine in at 50 mph for what seemed like forever, even houses were passing us up.

Automatic locks went out 4 days prior to arriving back at home which are now repaired. Right rear shock also loosened a few days before coming home. Also developed an oil leak after the last oil change. Still trying to get a handle on that. Other than the engine issue, it was a fun trip.
1968 Bug Convertible
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did a week long 1100 mile tour thru northeast me, nh,vt, ny, pa, ct, ri saw a few concerts, diff bands , thought my van got stolen cause i couldnt find it after one show in saratoga, but no real issues got stuck in traffic had the jet engine fire up a few times but no issues, pulled 70 uphill through the mountains , meet many cool people a few from thesamba in RI & ny nice to hang with you colin, pm me
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trusty 1984 Westy made it from Kansas City to Pensacola to New Orleans then Memphis and back with ZERO issues. This was over a 2,000 mile trip in a weeks time. By the way fully loaded with a 15.5 mpg average.
hozbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-91 Westy. 2.1 WBX
- Seattle to Bend,OR to Oregon/Washington coast via US 101 then back to Seattle. 1297 miles round trip in 9 days.(arrive yesterday)
- Lost complete power 30 miles from Bend, pulled over. Sad Hear fuel pump while cranking but no start. Yanked and swapped spare ecu and ignition switch. Same results. Yanked and swapped Current Supply Relay next to fuel pump relay in engine compartment. Instant start. Back on the road w/my son in under 30 minutes with no issues rest of trip. It pays to carry good spares!! Very Happy

91 Westfalia Camper
90 Westfalia Camper (sold)
89 Vanagon Carat (sold)
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
1. 1990 Westy
2. 2.2 Wasserboxer
3. Olympia, Washington to Manchester, NH to Baltimore, MD (currently). Back to Portland, ME, Pittsburg, PA then home by mid-August.

Nothing wrong ... yet.

This is killing me -two days after my own post, my water pump broke, my windshield washer bottle cracked and my horn gave up the ghost. Next poll like this, I'll just shut up!
Shocked Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valencia, Spain to Trondheim, Norway
1986 Caravelle (Vanagon to you USAnians) 1.9 DG WBX carburetted 4spd manual.
3600km (2236miles)

The start battery was dead after winter storage, and it was a sunday, so no batteries to be had in Spain. Therefore, I got a jump from my father, and then just drove Razz Turns out Spanish gas station attendants don't particularly like idling cars while refueling Razz Made it to the south of France before nightfall, and went to sleep. Next morning, got a jump from a surprised French guy (What? Your battery is WHERE?) and found a new battery at a local FLAPS.
That was our only problem the whole trip!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Road trips Reply with quote

1983 2.0 Air-cooled non-Westy

1986 - To Alaska and return via down thru the Rocky Mtns to Denver and then home. No problems - over 10,000 miles

1993 - Basically same trip with same Van (new Jugs/Pistons). Engine burned about two gallon of oil. Warranty replacement of Jugs. Actually, the originals were just fine. The Van had been sitting for five years and I thought it would be a good move to replace jugs and pistons....bad decision.

1996 - Basically same trip with same Van ....no problems

1997 - Basically same trip with same Van. Burnt valve and had to remove engine in Delta Junction, Alaska. Incident happened on Friday evening and was back on the road Monday morning (thanks to all the locals who helped)

1998 - Key West, Florida .... no problems

1999 - To Alaska again with same Van........no problems

2001- Basically same trip to Alaska .........no problmes

2003 -Same trip no problems
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1990 Syncro Westy with Bostig Zetec.

Just got back from a three thousand mile trip from BC to California on mostly secondary roads. Lots of hill climbs over passes and winding old roads. Also some 4x4 exploration into the back country.

Just add gas and clean the windows! No need to even check the oil.

Love my Zetec. Cool

I did do a pre trip oil change to the engine and both the trans & diff. Also had to replace the CV boots on one rear axle. (three years old! Evil or Very Mad crappy parts!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
wenholzm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85 Westy w/2.1 Rebuild (Yellow tag Canada)

Summer 2010
Guadalajara Mexico to Norwich Connecticut.
1. Replaced both CV joints in Tennessee on the way up.
2. Gray tapped my coolant reservoir (cracked) in Kentucky on the way back. Spent a day at the Paducah Drury Inn purging the system. (I have a new one now)

Summer 2011
Guadalajara Mexico to Seattle
1. Changed dizzy cables in Coos Bay OR, should have done it before leaving....
2. "H" collant pipe replaced in Seattle, my plastic one got deformed and was leaking. I now have a copper one from a guy in Salem OR. Oregon is for Vanagon Lovers.
3. Gas tank patching material was disolving and plugging my filter. Changed filter 5 times between Utah and Guadalajara. I have resealed the tank properly with a Van Cafe Kit.

I have had some other issues on lesser trips, mostly caused by dumb stuff that I have done.

All in all, not a bad record for an 85 vehicle. I love my "Ranchito".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 47

Jump to: