Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

that is a really cool concept/program. Someone more motivated than I should attempt this in the US.
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
that is a really cool concept/program. Someone more motivated than I should attempt this in the US.

Someone has already. You have to have a gray water tank and porta-potty if you are in a Westy though.
https://harvesthosts.com/
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I wouldn't even know to look these things up. Thanks for posting it. Already have a porta potty coming but I may finally need to install the grey water tank.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
This is something which started in France, it's called "France Passion" https://www.france-passion.com

At the time they had approximately 1600 Farms around France offering spots for self contained camper vans and RVs. We had a porta potty with us to full fill the requirement.

You don't pay for staying at the farms. But, of course it is a nice gesture to buy some of their produce. And you are asked to greet your hosts and ask them if you can stay and also say goodbye when you leave.

Among things we bought was apple juice, apple cider and really amazing homemade ice cream.

Other countries in Europe are copying the concept.

I did this in the Somme in 2017. Pulled over in a rental Mercedes and slept in the cold in a farmers field. In the morning, the farmer brought me a cup of coffee. He knew why I was there. My grandfather had slept that night in the same place, 100 years ago.

It was like when Regina George punched me in the face. It was awesome.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Flew up to Maine to pick up my van from FAS. I got the tdi engine conversion, rebuilt gas tank, new radiator, aux fuel tank, rebuilt transaxle from GTA, decoupler, rebuilt front diff with locker (matt steedle), and a few little things here and there.

I set up an appointment with Pierre from Les Atelier PK last year so I decided to drive up to Quebec.

Picked up from FAS.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new engine

Blow out on Rut 73 nefore St George

Boris hard at work

All done

Aside from the blowout it was a great drive home home. The aux tank is fricken AWESOME. I can refill my tank on the fly. The only issue is that in Canada the flow rate or something must be different because I got so much foaming so it was hard to fill up. But in the US no issues. I need to do a test run to see how many miles I can get on a full tank. I kept my tank topped up when it was at 50%.

All in all it was a good drive. The Adirondaks proved no match for the new conversion. I kept it in the right lane the whole way and went the speed limit, but the engine has so much more in it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Thar she blows! That all looks super sweet. Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

What tires are you running and at what pressures?
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

The past two years my wife and two kids made a southern Utah trip in our unknown mileage 84 Adventurewagen...about 1700 miles round-trip each time. Lots of remote dirt roads with no one around makes you wonder how far you should actually go in a foreign place. It turns out you just go for it and enjoy the adventure. We had some engine hesitation on the first trip, but a quick fuel filter swap fixed that issue. On the second trip in a new location, with a resealed tank, it ran effortlessly. Slow and steady just as VW intended. See more, travel less. Smile
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Ko2. 215 65 16. 46 rear 42 front.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Ko2. 215 65 16. 46 rear 42 front.

I see another tire on the rim Is that a safety spare that was inside the Ko2? Got curious how that got there!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
...I see another tire on the rim...

I think you're seeing the sidewall of the separated tire carcass.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
...I see another tire on the rim...

I think you're seeing the sidewall of the separated tire carcass.

That is correct.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1200 miles across Oregon. Odometer starting and stopping was the only issue, if you want to call it that.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=719953
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Long Memorial week trip, total 1500 miles from San Diego to Shasta County and back. Only issue was a lost alternator belt at night about half way. Warning led came on north of Sacramento. Pulled over immediately and put on a new one at the side of the I-5. About 40k miles on the old one. Thought about a new one before the trip since it showed some cracks but decided it could wait. Ooops

Mark
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Madison Wi to Paducah to Birmingham to Chattanooga and back to Madison. 1800 miles in 5 days with 31 mountain bike miles and lots of friends along the way. Only thing that broke was the driver's side window crank, and I had a spare in the toolbox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueTwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

North Vancouver to Prince George then back home through Kelowna. 1272 miles averaging 18 mpg over 18 issue free days and the the oil level still at the full mark where it started. Surprisingly Westy Wave Free. Dinna see one the entire trip.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

88' Westy "Miss Dorothy"

Second week of May this year: Claremont, CA to Grand Canyon, AZ, Cedar Mesa, UT, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Kanab, Zion and back home. 1,500 or so miles. Dispersed camping on BLM land. Beautiful weather. No problems

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Another Over 2,000 Miles from Missouri to Ohio for the Southern Ohio Forest Rally.
No problems at all. AC worked great.

Engine is a 2 liter ABA with 1.8 digifant head.

Gas mileage averaged just over 20mpg.
Some Pictures of the Southern Ohio Forest Rally and The Vanagon.

Camped in the Vanagon every night except the last night. Fun time

86 Vanagon, 1.8 Digifant http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513537
"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

-86 Wolfsburg Westfalia "weekender" (pop-top). Or a VW WWW or VW W^3
-Reversed 1.8T W/Passat 5-speed by Flint European Automotive
-So East MA/RI border on the ocean through VT, across the Hero Islands to a few miles from Canada Border, back South to Stowe, hitting a Blue-Grass themed Music Fest in No.Adams, MA
-A little less than 1,000 miles, but more than 900

No problems except occasional diverter valve mooing (1.8T thing)..well we were in VT, so cows. Might play with intake someday.

After 4 days, even my wife was saying "I'm not worried if it is going to start anymore." ( her first trip in the van since engine conversion) Such pleasurable driving; VT has really steep grades at time - 15-18%, and don't expect a truck lane - this is when the 1.8T is most appreciated.
Last two tanks were as 21.7 and 21.8 mpg. In the end I get the same mileage as I typically get with 2.1 driving at slower speeds.

First 2 camp nights, I booked a "lean-to", as this is a standard offering in VT State Parks. Note, not all can you drive into so nicely.
[/img]

Below- van from the Bennington War Monument

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Brownj Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

-87 Westfalia
-Zetec / auto / 2wd
-York Maine > Lancaster, PA >Skyline Drive > Charlottesville, VA >
Williamsburg, VA > Wilmington, NC > Assateague, MD, > Cape May, NJ > Cranston, RI > Maine
-2310 miles

No issues! Hard to believe we were camping a few days ago in Maryland!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 47

Jump to: