Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I remember Key West. It did me in. Good on ya.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

4000 miles from MD to Key West and then to Missouri for the eclipse. (Well I did have an impromptu stop at Total Auto Care in Staunton VA the first morning for a rear main seal replacement. Thank you to Curtis and Keith!)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794

Last edited by dobryan on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Ditto.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

“D1” is copyright infringement, I own A1 through E1. Wink Shocked Laughing

Great stuff, glad you and Bobby (and *that* D1!) rocked it and can’t believe how dark it got!

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

FWIW, cross post from “Eclipse” thread.

TL;DR…1900 miles, no issues…

dhaavers wrote:
4 days down, 4 days back. Here’s my report…

Day 1: 4 hour drive south, driveway camp with friends in S MN for beer, burgers & Friday night jazz radio. Then…

Day 2: Met up with bobbyblack & “D1” near Iowa City. First night together was Lowell IA, free camping on the Skunk River:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Day 3: 5-hour drive later, free dispersed camping in Mark Twain NF near Winona MO (complimentary acoustic jam included):

Day 4: Eclipse Day! Drove one more hour to catch up to friends in Mammoth Spring MO. Beautiful day! Cool

Sorry to admit, my actual eclipse pics sucked but believe it or not, here are the van(s) under totality (Jupiter on the right):

So yeah, lots of people had to hit the road to get home ASAP but I took my time. 3 more nights on the road for me
heading back north, including McCormack Lake CG (Mark Twain NF again…again, free)… then Shimek State Forest in
southern IA (yes, free)… then my daughter’s driveway in Mpls (free) & finally home yesterday.

Total about 1900 miles, plenty of gas, 20oz. oil, zero issues.

See you in 2044! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Yes, I usually take my Baja Box and felt naked without it.
Packed light so it wasn't essential but I should have had it anyway.
We built some for a couple friends too, the white van has one of those.

Temps were lows in 50s, highs in 70s.
Warmer on the Sea of Cortez side than on the Pacific side, as usual.
Water chilly both.

Mark
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I’ve never seen Marks Gold van without its box on the back.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Nice. What were the temperatures like? Air and water?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Went to Baja to see the whales again in the San Ignacio Lagoon.
Drove my 87 Syncro about 1500 miles, most of it below the border.
No issues of any kind.
Saw several Vanagons along the way, mostly Syncros.

Mark
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Shonandb, thanks for sharing your road trip ...

Although I am from the SE USA, I can certainly relate to most of the places you visited. We want to go back to that area one more time (to make it 10).

I like the Bays, that's why I purchased one. Which Vanagon transmission are you using?

Thanks Andy. I have an 010 from an 86 Vanagon with an external transaxle oil cooler installed. I had to modify a few things to make it work.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Shonandb, thanks for sharing your road trip ...

Although I am from the SE USA, I can certainly relate to most of the places you visited. We want to go back to that area one more time (to make it 10).

I like the Bays, that's why I purchased one. Which Vanagon transmission are you using?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Not a Vanagon but I have a transaxle from a Vanagon if that counts.

1) Absolutely not.
B) Love it!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Not a Vanagon but I have a transaxle from a Vanagon if that counts.

Road Trip North in July 2022

Took a week and headed up North camping on a 5000 km (3000 mile) tour of Northern BC and part of the Yukon via the Alaskan Highway with my wife and teenage daughter and one of her friends. My daughter's friend's parents joined us on the trip in their SUV so we got some cool video as well but basically 4 of us in the Bus for 8 days.

Bus ran flawlessly and the longest day driven was about 9 hours from Liard River Hotsprings to Dawson Creek but we had to go through a few areas of construction which slowed us down. Our windshield has a few battle scars from rocks thrown up from large trucks but other than that, no issues.

Saw black bears, moose, caribou, deer, mountain goats/sheep, elk, bison, and even porcupines and had cool rainy weather in Prince Rupert (12 C 53 F) to hot desert conditions between Cache Creek and Yale on Hwy #1 where it hit 38 C (100 F).

Solar shower worked well and made the trip really comfortable. The Hotsprings were fantastic and the scenery was spectacular and changed significantly as we passed through West to East, South to North, West to East again, and North to South back to the Lower Mainland.

Only saw a couple Vanagons and 1 Eurovan along the way as well as only 1 Late Bay. Expected to see more VWs but every 2nd vehicle was either a pickup truck or various sized RVs.

* A nice bonus was having freezies straight out of the freezer in our old Dometic fridge when it was hot! Love that fridge as it kept the beer nice and cold too.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

There is nothing like the feeling of sleeping in the westy on a conference with the Kachig! Of a per diem lodging hitting your bank each night …
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Got back last night from Vanderhoof, BC after visiting family at their homestead up there. It's 1,135 miles all in. Stopped Wednesday night at 108 Mile House ( a little hamlet in central BC, not a home), the halfway point up to Vanderhoof. Like a moron, I left at 5:00 pm after a long conference down here in the city, with a plan to go half the distance that night. I forgot to bring a number of important items like a spare tire (it comes off to fit the rig in my garage), diesel/kerosene mix for my CDH, hat, gloves, sunglasses. Despite this stupidity, I got no flat tire, stayed warm, and did not go blind.

The only thing that went wrong was that the CDH sooted up and shut off up in Vanderhoof, but by then, I had a bed in the homestead and no need to sleep in the Westy. The first night at 108 Mile House was cozy with the CDH and a podcast. Here she is in the morning at 108 Mile House:

rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Did 2137 Miles From Tijuana Mexico to Texas back in November 2022 did it with a damaged radiator fan and the slave cylinder gave up on me but I made it safely back home
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Hmm…thousand miles trip? In August went from Portland, Oregon to Placerville, to Concord, to Point Reyes, to Inverness and other points before a return trip back to Placerville and up HWY 97.
One hiccup.
In Dorris California the coil quit. Got towed to Klamath Falls, ordered a new coil and installed it the next day. Glad for towing insurance (Haggerty) and awesome operators. Having an unplanned layover allowed me to meet so many great people. Made for a highlight of the trip!
Year previous... left PDX to loop around the same area plus Tahoe. All with zero problems. I take this bus everywhere, confident that it can make it because I have the tools should something happen along the way. If I want to give up camping options, leave the gear behind, and accept less joy, I take one of the electric cars.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Two thumbs up on Chowder Teds. Try a Maxxair fan in the skylight cutout. It really cools down things and on high speed exhale it sucks up skeeters something fierce.

I never thought about the mosquito thing but that makes complete sense!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Two thumbs up on Chowder Teds. Try a Maxxair fan in the skylight cutout. It really cools down things and on high speed exhaust it sucks up skeeters something fierce.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!

Last edited by Microbusdeluxe on Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
A-Wild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

My first and so only 1K trip was the original purchase. Flew into Huntington Beach and drove her back to Guthrie Oklahoma in May. A bit rushed but fun nonetheless! no issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: