Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Okay, I'm finally getting caught up!
We (Story House Bluegrass) were booked to play the Shady Grove Bluegrass Festival in Nanton, Alberta last August. They offered us very good money for two sets plus a duet concert by me and Mrs. Jake and banjo and mandolin workshops from Tim and Pete.
Tim and Pete were in Pete's truck and trailer and our good friend and former professional soundman Patrick came with us in his beautiful 1990 Silver Westy and helped make us sound really good! Cool

We lined up two house concerts as well to help defray expenses on such a long trip, one in Kelowna and one in Procter, BC and a town concert in the park in Creston.

The house concerts were terrific, intimate affairs with 40-50 in attendance and minimal PA reinforcement. It was new territory for us; very satisfying to share our music with folks almost sitting in our laps! The Creston Park show was different, ~150-200 people singing along on the grass with a huge fountain behind them and little kids running around all over!

Shady Grove was great: really good sound and an informed and attentive audience.

We saw this fabulous Morris Minor Convertible at the gas station in Kelowna on our way out of town. Guy said it was his wife's car and he was just gassing it up!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We had a great show at the Poppy Inn in Procter (Doug knows where that is!) and we were on the Harrup Ferry early the next morning.

I don't have any pix from Creston but the legendary luthier Michael Heiden was nice enough to come and see our show and jam with us afterwards.

The moon was full our first night at Shady Grove and lit up Patrick's Westy:

Our duet show was early Saturday morning and was really well recieved:

On the way back home we went up the eastern shore of Kootenay Lake from Creston and took the Crawford Bay Ferry across to Balfour:

Stopped for gas and coffee in Princeton before the climb to the pass:

1,872 miles, some of it steep, some of it fast, with no hiccups whatsoever. Patrick's van also ran very well, if a little bit slower than Dixie. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

What a great report! Thanks for sharing that.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Excellent , thanks for sharing. I can almost hear the twangs over here

Very Happy
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Sounds great. Anywhere we can check out your music online? Wish I could take a 1000+ mile trip to hear it in person, but that's not happening right now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Nice report.

Thanks for the getaway, Jake.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody!
We've been remiss in keeping up our online presence since all our gigs were cancelled this year and CD Baby is no longer selling CDs/downloads including ours...
We're almost out of CDs and flash drives, having sold almost everything on our tour but I have emailed the album to a few people.

Here's the first cut off the CD 'Ground Floor' on Soundcloud, 'Weeping Blue Tears'. The song was written by Maiken de Villiers.
https://soundcloud.com/story-house/1-weeping-blue-...qwdrngoUZs
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I'd drive 1,000 miles to hear y'all play.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Much appreciated Jim, but in regular times you wouldn't have to! We've played in Maltby and at the Hovander BG Fest in Ferndale - and we're almost always at Darrington! Cool
www.thebassspa.com
vwwasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Five trips this Summer totaling 3,967 miles and only issue was my rear hatch emblem fell off.

Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1. '86 Westy
2. Seattle to Seattle, via heavy dirt and rock roads in North Idaho, 1147 Miles.
3. No repairs! But my passenger mirror finally cashed in and died.
vwdank94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

This may be my first post but last Friday, my wife and I flew into Los Angeles CA and we bought our first Vanagon GL Westy 1988 $137,500 miles original and rebuilt engine 18,000 miles before that.

We drove all the way back to MEMPHIS TN and even went to the Grand Canyon 1,963 miles.

The only issues some of the Seal in the drivers side vent window fell apart and had a terrible whistle affect but nothing a little tape took care of it.

pulled in the driveway and the engine was still humming perfectly

I'll post pictures later as I will have to figure out how to do all that (just noticed the How to post pics link) HA
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Welcome!!! Cool Cool Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Just did 1,350 miles TWICE across the Rockies in Sept, in two different Vanagons - an '81 and an '85 - the '81 (automatic) has all the power of a tricycle, coupled with the fuel-sipping economy of a King Tiger.

The '85 ran almost as well - developed a serious vacuum leak in interior B.C. and lost idle, had to keep her over 2000 rpm for the last couple hundred miles (heaps of fun in stop-and-go construction zones) or she'd die. But made it! At this rate I'm going to have to stop bad-mouthing the original powertrains.

Waved like mad to at least a dozen other Vans/Westies along the Trans-Canada - that's my favourite part about driving a Vanagon, the sense of community. Not exactly something you get driving a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry.

The '81 has 100k original miles, was meticulously maintained with all the dealership service records from day 1, came with the factory jack, owner's manual and tool kit, and is really, really minty and 99.9% rust free. Had to pay through the nose for her tho. The '85 camper (for parts) is actually 800 pounds of bondo sculpted into the shape of a van.

Made for fun trips though and was shocked that I didn't end up on a flat-deck even once! Mountains were gorgeous this time of year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1700+ mile trip Mass to Dallas or back 3 times in the last 13 months in my unreliable vanagon. My wife’s reliable Kia on the other hand lost it’s transmission at 5000 and 4 months old. She had to he a new car for reliablity. Sorry I just had to poke. (She won’t let me sell the van). John
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

+3k
Chicago to Key West and "All points in between"
Only problem was air in slave cylinder from a rear disc brake conversion
And a smokey dash when a connector loosened on the seat belt/brake light
Both addressed on the road
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Just over 3.5k (San Francisco to Kansas City round trip - I80 there and back)
Learned to diagnose a clogged fuel filter while climbing up to Sherman Summit on the way home (you've got a lot of time to think with power cutting out at 25mph up that mountain)
Learned to change a fuel filter in an O'Reilly parking lot (the first one we found after cresting and coasting)

Once the fuel filter was changed it made it home no problems.
Pretty sure it dealt with Reno heat in late June better than I did.

Great trip Very Happy

1980 Westfalia air cooled CA

Cheers,
Matthew

Last edited by mcarlson_sb on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
1700+ mile trip Mass to Dallas or back 3 times in the last 13 months in my unreliable vanagon. My wife’s reliable Kia on the other hand lost it’s transmission at 5000 and 4 months old. She had to he a new car for reliablity. Sorry I just had to poke. (She won’t let me sell the van). John

My "modern" VWs (2009 and 2012) each had more flatbed rides before 60K miles than my Vanagons have had in the last 60K miles.

Abscate wrote:

korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Just returned from a round trip from Fort Collins to the tropics of southern Wisconsin to look after my elderly mom for a week. I would have preferred to take my 2016 Golf (2x the fuel mileage, speedier) but COVID concerns pre-empted hotel plans. So...truck-stop camping in eastern Nebraska at -15C and ice fog. Not really my idea of a great vacation, but the van did fine.

Total distance 3090 km (1920 mi), fuel consumption averaged about 13l/100km or around 18 mpg. No problems except when some water froze in between the fuel pump and the frame and proceeded to resonate most irritatingly for about half the trip. At least I think that's what happened. It finally got above freezing on the way back and melted.

This was the first really long trip I've taken in the van. I think the seats are the most comfortable I've had in any car, including the new-ish Golf. And I pity anyone crossing the midwest in a van not equipped with working cruise control. The days I spent last year diagnosing and repairing that system now seem absolutely worth it!

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
ElTonkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

It’s been almost a year since lockdown. Took advantage last March and took Mellie across the bay to BusLab for new fuel lines, fuel rails, Marco injectors and a tune up. Running the best it ever has. Amazing to get to Berkeley and back through SF on a Friday afternoon in less than an hour and half!

Between campsites closed and fires, never got out except for some day trips until now. Made a trip down to Palm Springs/Joshua Tree and had a fine time hiking around for a few days on sparsely populated trails. Van ran great, gas mileage sucked heading home into a strong headwind.

Ate a lot of delicious tacos at tiny strip mall taquerias. Very Happy
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:
I don't want to hear your whole story Very Happy ...Just did you make it without repairs, if not, what repairs? how far did you drive, your route, what year is your van and what motor.

1. 85' westy GL 1.9l
2. Denver - San Diego aprx: 2,000mi round trip
3. No repairs, what what???

^ this is fake data, but i will be taking my 85' westy on this trip in a few weeks and i hope those are the results Cool . I've done the drive 15x in my other car. looking to see the odds of making it Very Happy

We owned our '85 for most of the '90s, and I remember two trips that qualify.

1. '85 Vanagon (both trips)
2. Baltimore - Miami / Orlando (both trips) 2,000+ miles each
3. No repairs (1st) - New clutch (2nd)*

* - We were leaving for the second trip during "Snow-mageddon" back-to-back snowfalls of 20 inches. We dug ourselves out on our home street with the help of neighbors all pitching in. Four hours later, we gave it a try. We went up to the top of the hill quite successfully when we were met by a complete ass coming the other way who had just arrived and did none of the digging.

It was one car wide, and he refused to back up to the main road -- 50 feet max. He insisted he would just leave the car there before he would back up.

Wanting to get under way, I relented and backed all the way back to my house so he could get by. This time I was legitimately stuck even with my outraged neighbors pitching in until finally we were on our way.

I could smell the clutch burning and five minutes later we were kaput on a major street.

That bad luck was followed by amazingly good luck. The National Guard picked my wife, daughter, dog, and me in a HummVee 5-ton and took us home so we could call a tow truck (pre-cell phone days). Everyone was out and three hours was the minimum expected wait time. The National Guard returned me to Vanagon.

Just as I got there, a tow truck came by. He was headed to his next call which so happened to be on the way from where I was stuck to the shop we went to for 30 years with our VWs. So, he whisked Vanagon and me to the shop.

Arriving at the shop, one of the guys was there clearing out the parking lot. After hearing my story, he happened to have a new clutch and all of the associated parts there, and he and the owner (who got there soon after) did the work. I'm not sure how many hours later, but we were on our way.

(The first trip wasn't totally uneventful. Before leaving with our family, I wanted to take Vanagon through the car wash for a quick cleaning. The car wash amputated the driver's side mirror. Luckily, the local dealership had one in stock at their parts department. That delay was far less but annoying in its own way.)

As far as the trips go, no problem.

I have a trip planned to Maine sometime in May with Sinka. That should be 1,000 miles total. Fingers crossed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 47

Jump to: