Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Logged another 2600 mile round trip to Key West and back. No issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Hounddogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Took I-5 from Seattle to just north of San Francisco for a wedding in July, 2007. We were in our 1986 Adventurewagen with a rebuilt 2.1. It ran great, but the weather was really hot coming down Siskiyou Summit past Lake Shasta. Cruising along nicely doing 65-70 mph down that long grade the engine just flat quit. We coasted onto an off ramp to the only shade we could find and waited about 15 minutes. Cranked it over and she fired right up!

Temperature in Redding showed 112 F as we cruised past, windows open! 2,000 miles back home a week later via the Sierras without another hitch.
Figured a vapor lock in the fuel line from the heat caused it to quit.
‘83 Westfalia (Sold)
‘81 Westfalia (Burned up on the side of the freeway in 1986)
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Just back from 2 months, 10,000 miles. Western Washington- Eastern Oregon-Nevada-Utah-Arizona-New Mexico-Colorado-South Dakota-Wyoming-Idaho-Oregon-Home. Only issue was a scare from scrapping sound in brake drum, it was a small wooden stick. On the way home I developed a drive by shooting backfire when decelerating/engine braking downhill and no throttle. It's a Zetec so I'm open to thoughts and solutions. The whole trip was proof that hours of time and piles of money spent on maintenance pay off.

I'll do a trip report soon.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Unburned gas exploding in the exhaust creating a backfire: First, it's tons of fun! Second, one possibility is an exhaust leak providing O2 that burns any unburnt gas in the exhaust. This was common with 80s BMW motorcycles and an emissions control system called the Pulse Air System that flowed fresh air into the header to burn unburnt gases and often led to popping, but not gunfire sounding noises. Do you have a catifold or earlier manifold system? My original Zetec exhaust manifold developed cracks that may have contributed to pops and cracks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I'm up to 4,000 miles on a daily driver situation.
Not bad for something I tiwed home with the engine in the back seat!

No break downs but I did just replace all my wheel bearings, they started out bad and only got worse!
The noise forced me to stop and make repairs.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Coast to coast on Dead Tour more times that I can count(20-30?). '89 thru '95. 1 time, bad fuel filter.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I have a trip planned to Maine sometime in May with Sinka. That should be 1,000 miles total. Fingers crossed.

Welp, drove to Maine in May. Drove back last Friday/Saturday. Roughly 550 miles each way. No problems either way ... but I was lucky. Actually, on the trip there, we (my wife and I) were lucky.

I drove Sinka to FAS in Harpswell, Maine, for a few things to be installed, corrected, and looked over. It turned out it needed more. Much more.

I bought it with a new timing belt service freshly done. Unfortunately, whoever the clown was who did the service installed the tensioner backwards or inverted. The tensioner got dented but the major news was the brand new belt was mostly shredded by the time we arrived. We could've broken down anywhere with major problems -- even on the GW bridge like some poor sap we saw on the way.

My wife and I enjoyed Maine for several days, then flew back to Maryland. The injectors needed to be rebuilt. Once they were, there was enough pressure to reveal another problem -- the injector pump seal was leaking. It had to be ordered from Europe and waiting for that gasket took another couple of weeks or so. Here is the offending part:

I stopped off at Portland on my return trip.

Sinka drove like a champ on the return trip.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Well not quite a 1000 miles but damn close at 974 Mi. We left out from the Bay Area and headed to our cheap Tahoe retreat , the In laws cabin in Kings beach. I missed my exit and ended up on 50 instead of 80 but I always enjoy a side trip.

I made a little side trip to OutWesty to pick up some stuff, Dave was too busy driving his DMC and just left my stuff outside (I need to remember to pay him)

Over the weekend we paid our penance and cleaned up the grounds and loaded 10 bags of pine needles in the van and on Monday morning we headed home, traffic was crazy with 3 accidents on the way home. I was able to enjoy the fruits of my labor and enjoyed my In Dash A/C coming through Sacramento, We stopped off and saw our new Grand Daughter.

Once home unloaded the pine needles and loaded up the van with a Delivery for the fine folks at Go Westy. We arrive there at about 11;30 and pulled the bed and slept in the parking lot, just about 7:45 the vans started rolling in. We had a quick Breakfast and dropped our load and headed home.

The van ran like a champ, didn't miss a beat. 3.5 tanks of gas and some quality wheel time. I spend a lot of time to preventive maintenance so I rarely have a problem.

I tried to make it an even 1000 mi, but My wife and I had to get to work.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Well, we're home; NE Iowa to Denver, Ft Colin's, Estes Park, RedRocks, more Denver, and back home: 2140 miles. No drips, no quirks, no flattened fauna.
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Early May --- Mount Vernon, Seattle, Bend, Boise, Salt Lake City, St. George, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Page, Moab, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Steamboat Springs, Jackson, Tetons NP, Yellowstone NP, Bozeman, Coeur d' Alene, North Cascades, Mount Vernon.

3 weeks, 4500 miles, 18.0 MPG, no issues except a small drip of oil from my drivers side valve cover, it went away after two days. Great trip. 91 Carat, 2.2l GW engine with GW EFI (25K miles), auto trans., peloquin TBD, Maxxis Bravo tires 27x8.5.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1,517 miles in three days (Seattle -> Butte -> Kalispell -> Glacier National Park -> Seattle) @ 21.7 mpg. Worst mileage was using premium. Best was what I beat it like a rented mule.

Mileage discrepancy excludes incidental trips to find services or recover from nav mishaps, etc.

No repairs, but some mandatory rest periods when the starter was in-op. In every case but the last, it worked after a rest/cool-off period but the very last, that didn't help. And it was actually cooled off due to the vicious crosswinds at Ellensburg WA. The starter (what I was concerned with) was 104°F, no hotter than if I left it in the sun (94° in shade today). So I'll be looking into that. Some champion in a yellow box truck helped push it up on a slight slope and I was able to roll start and get on my way.

Symptoms: a quick gas and go seemed fine, but anything longer than that meant a cool off period. A quick search at a rest area brought up some old posts about "heat soaked" motors but after that most recent incident, I don't think that's it. Never seen this before this trip.

This makes me think it might be a duff starter which would be disappointing, as it was a Bosch TDi to replace the OG one just a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonny-G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1,900 miles!! Daughter graduated college and asked if we could take a road trip - of course!! Tacoma to Bend. Then to Alvord desert and hot springs ( omg I hate washboard. Think I need a compressor to air down). Fresh front T3 sway bar was amazing. Fresh front brakes were stinking on some down hills, scared me but probably breaking in. Then to Jordan valley, to Joseph, to John Day, back to Bend, then back to Tacoma on the hottest day of heat wave last Monday. Worried about overheating but did awesome. I learned to drive with windows open again like from the days before a/c, which is great. No actual issues at all. Amazing. We only saw 11 other VW busses T1-T4’s (T1 was en route for a big project). Fridge started to really stink - maybe ammonia leak - time to remove. I was worried about shaking something loose on the washboard - have to drive soo slow.

89’ 2.2 wbx nwcr rebuild, peloquin, T3 sway bar, koni’s, 15” gw wheels 215/65/15 Michelin agilis
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

^^^ Hey, hey! It's been awhile. Sounds like quite a bit of driving to really nice places in three days. Sorry to hear about the grumpy starter.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Maybe Kalispell has it in for Vanagon starters...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755771

Paulbeard wrote:
1,517 miles in three days (Seattle -> Butte -> Kalispell -> Glacier National Park -> Seattle) @ 21.7 mpg. Worst mileage was using premium. Best was what I beat it like a rented mule.

No repairs, but some mandatory rest periods when the starter was in-op. In every case but the last, it worked after a rest/cool-off period but the very last, that didn't help. And it was actually cooled off due to the vicious crosswinds at Ellensburg WA. The starter (what I was concerned with) was 104°F, no hotter than if I left it in the sun (94° in shade today). So I'll be looking into that. Some champion in a yellow box truck helped push it up on a slight slope and I was able to roll start and get on my way.

Symptoms: a quick gas and go seemed fine, but anything longer than that meant a cool off period. A quick search at a rest area brought up some old posts about "heat soaked" motors but after that most recent incident, I don't think that's it. Never seen this before this trip.

This makes me think it might be a duff starter which would be disappointing, as it was a Bosch TDi to replace the OG one just a couple of years ago.

Abscate wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Symptoms: a quick gas and go seemed fine, but anything longer than that meant a cool off period.

I struggled with exactly this for a year. New $74 starter off Amazon fixed it immediately. I also added a ground strap from starter directly to the chassis.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

I struggled with exactly this for a year. New $74 starter off Amazon fixed it immediately. I also added a ground strap from starter directly to the chassis.

Well, snap (swap in your own salty language here). Pretty confident it is well-grounded, as the last person to touch it was my shop when they swapped in a new-ish trans. But I will of course verify.

Things I know/have checked:
• battery is good (topped up by solar as well from the alternator)
• starter switch was swapped out w my spare (I know you keep one in your glove box, unless you are smarter than me and went with pushbutton). No difference.
• It's not purely heat, as the last episode seems to prove.
• everything else works, as roll starting worked fine.

It all looks increasingly like a duff TDi starter, a Bosch reman which isn't that old and not that over-used. Waiting for the vendor to help me find out when I got it so I can pursue any warranty options. A truly rebuilt one (per Abscate) would be best, if I can find the last remaining craftsman who does that.

This kinda messed up my adventure, first time I have been able to truly get away and had to turn back almost before it started. I counted on being able resupply myself in the field so didn't bring a lot of supplies. And my phone carrier's slim presence in Montana meant I was out of service more than in…making a call to AAA problematic.

No start this morning so I'll test the continuity across the solenoid later. Also a fuel leak from the tank side of the fuel pump and some grease on one of the belts. And both rear indicators stopped working (I have seen one or the other but never both at once). So a couple of things to see to.

EDIT: well, the solenoid passed the continuity test so I tried the spare ignition switch that I had tried on the road and it fired right up. Did I forget to reset the kill switch while under highway hypnosis?

I swore the next time one of these failed I was going with a push button switch so I guess I have to trawl the archives and see what my options are. I see a lot of mention of relays but y'all talk too fast for me. The spare and the one in place are both the same, I think, made in Taiwan. Curses upon whoever decided to weaken or underspec the part that fails in these.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

8062 miles. Cape Cod to the Oregon Coast and back. Pic at Carhenge NE
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

blyhigh wrote:
8062 miles. Cape Cod to the Oregon Coast and back.

That's impressive! Are you running the stock engine?
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

GW 2.4
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

blyhigh wrote:

8062 miles. Cape Cod to the Oregon Coast and back. Pic at Carhenge NE

Love it!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 47

Jump to: