Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1,200+ miles. DC to Roanoke VA, Damascus VA, Great Smoky Mountains NP, Pisgah National Forest, Asheville NC, and back. Driving from Asheville back to DC in one day took 9 hours. Chugging along just fine.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

^^^^^ Yaaay! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Harrisonburg, VA to Acadia, ME and back. We mostly avoided the highways and totaled a little over 2,000 miles without a hiccup!

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

1,200+ miles. DC to Roanoke VA, Damascus VA, Great Smoky Mountains NP, Pisgah National Forest, Asheville NC, and back. Driving from Asheville back to DC in one day took 9 hours. Chugging along just fine.

Nice, hope you enjoyed Ashevegas, it's changed a lot in the last 25 years in some ways for the better in some ways not, but it's still an awesome place to be.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Asheville was more of a place to stay and get dinner than a destination. After a day at Kanuga Bike Park I wanted a soak instead of just a trail shower. We stayed at the Beaufort House B&B and walked to get drinks a few blocks away, slept, and bounced after breakfast.
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Philly burbs to Boston, Freeport, Bar Harbor, Acadia and...
We drove 985 miles but did not make 1000. Had a great trip going but after 1 week the Westy started making power steering pump noises. The reservoir was below the minimum and near the bottom. Added PS fluid and checked under vehicle looking at the steering box and hoses, nothing major seemed to be indicated, some drips. This was 2 days into 4 days of camping at Acadia and 5 days into the trip. She ran ok after adding fluid and planned to pick up some stop leak on way to New Hampshire figuring that would slow it down enough to deal with back in Philly. Well 2 days later not to be. Reservoir started to drop to min line in about 1.5 to 2 hours on the road when we left Acadia and only seemed to be accelerating. Stop leak did not do crap. I could now see the problem, the seal on the right side of the steering box was going bad big time. Every time I turned left it pissed out a pile of fluid. Running straight and it only dripped but with a turn it was bad. We were in Auburn ME at a gas station off interstate and decided that heading on to North Conway was looking for trouble so instead we nursed the 2 hours to Boston (where my son lives). Got there ok on one fill in Auburn but it was below min line when we arrived. No way was this going through NYC and North Jersey to get home. I had many thoughts on how to get this home. I have the Bostig engine with serpentine belt so removal of PS pump not an option. Potentially could have looped the hoses but that also looked like trouble. Daughter in Law suggested renting a car carrier and truck from U-Haul. Checked online and rented that night for the next day (good to be in big city like Boston). Worked out great. $600 plus gas and was home the next day.
Just finished replacing the steering box and associated parts, all is well. I believe this was the original steering unit, 34 years old and 250,000 miles.
But we did not make 1000 miles this time!

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

John Sullivan wrote:
We drove 985 miles but did not make 1000. Had a great trip going but after 1 week the Westy started making power steering pump noises. The reservoir was below the minimum and near the bottom. Added PS fluid and checked under vehicle looking at the steering box and hoses, nothing major seemed to be indicated, some drips. This was 2 days into 4 days of camping at Acadia and 5 days into the trip. She ran ok after adding fluid and planned to pick up some stop leak on way to New Hampshire figuring that would slow it down enough to deal with back in Philly. Well 2 days later not to be. Reservoir started to drop to min line in about 1.5 to 2 hours on the road when we left Acadia and only seemed to be accelerating. Stop leak did not do crap. I could now see the problem, the seal on the right side of the steering box was going bad big time. Every time I turned left it pissed out a pile of fluid. Running straight and it only dripped but with a turn it was bad. We were in Auburn ME at a gas station off interstate and decided that heading on to North Conway was looking for trouble so instead we nursed the 2 hours to Boston (where my son lives). Got there ok on one fill in Auburn but it was below min line when we arrived. No way was this going through NYC and North Jersey to get home. I had many thoughts on how to get this home. I have the Bostig engine with serpentine belt so removal of PS pump not an option. Potentially could have looped the hoses but that also looked like trouble. Daughter in Law suggested renting a car carrier and truck from U-Haul. Checked online and rented that night for the next day (good to be in big city like Boston). Worked out great. $600 plus gas and was home the next day.
Just finished replacing the steering box and associated parts, all is well. I believe this was the original steering unit, 34 years old and 250,000 miles.
But we did not make 1000 miles this time!

Bummer! I have a photo of Dixie that looks just like yours!! Rolling Eyes
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

John Sullivan wrote:
We drove 985 miles but did not make 1000.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We almost crossed paths in Maine!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

John , you could have run that PS home low on fluid just feeding it a bit each gas stop. I’ve run a few Volvos back to home base thst way
Love77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1,200 miles right now into a 6,500 road trip visiting national parks.

Here is an overview: https://youtu.be/xn4Xwd8trkk

So far, have only had to tighten a brake caliper but I’m sure I could use all the good luck you can send me.

Also, shot out to Kevin @ Vanagon Repair in Philaldelphia for all his help making this trip happen. If anyone needs work done in the area he is the best.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

For the fourth time I a year and a half Dallas Texas to western mass 1600 miles with a diversion to Atlanta. It just keeps going like the energizier bunny. John
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
For the fourth time I a year and a half Dallas Texas to western mass 1600 miles with a diversion to Atlanta. It just keeps going like the energizier bunny. John

I think that's a direct result of your restoration job!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Glad I finally get to join this thread!

My 1980 Riviera Camper just did 1547mi without anything falling off!

Portland out to the coast, down the 101 through the Redwoods. Boondocking just outside Redwood National Park, then on to San Francisco. Camped two nights outside Oakland at Anthony Chabot Campground, then up I-5 to redding to meet with a client of mine to deliver a camera I'd repaired for him before continuing over the pass and back to the coast where we spent the night at the loudest campground ever(Apparently the ATV crowd loves that spot, ATVs and dirt bikes EVERYWHERE!) in North Bend. Finally back home!!

Only things I had to deal with were the oil leak I'm still trying to find(Kept it topped off) and having to adjust the points once about 1/2 way in as it was starting to run a bit funny. Discovered the gap was too small to measure and fixed that with a quick adjustment, and back to running fantastic.

nohabusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

2286 miles so far from Central Adirondacks (New York state) to Bozeman Montana - 5 nights, into a two 1/2 week trip. Heavy driving is over, now for the fun at Yellowstone and then Grand Tetons. The hardest part was going through South Dakota at 100 degrees, with no A/C, and also dealing with 80 mph speed limit on 90 West across Dakota and Wyoming, where I kept it at 70 max.
1990 Doka Syncro (WBX 2.1)
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Enjoy that trip, but it’s the wrong time to leave ADK

Laughing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

no doubt,
the CNY camping crew are headed to Limekiln in Inlet this weekend..

and the sandy shore of westcott beach on Lake Ontario next weekend
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

900 miles from Seattle now.
Vans running good but Im fussing with an ignition switch right now.
Just having trouble with intermittent key-in power (for radio+GPS.)
Possibly to Yosemite tomorrow! 👍🏽👍🏽
Provided we can hook a campsite cancellations or something.
Not sure if its going to work……for Yosemite you have to plan ahead (not like us).
Nohabusguy watch for the Bordello Red Syncro with a Rocketbox!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Mike J.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I recently finished a trip from Buffalo, NY, to Cape Cod (505 miles). From there, down to Wrightsville Beach, NC (852 miles), and then back to Buffalo (749 miles). Grand total--2106 miles! I shoulda taken a pic of the van's interior at the end--kids totally trashed it!
Mike J.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Mike J. wrote:
I recently finished a trip from Buffalo, NY, to Cape Cod (505 miles). From there, down to Wrightsville Beach, NC (852 miles), and then back to Buffalo (749 miles). Grand total--2106 miles! I shoulda taken a pic of the van's interior at the end--kids totally trashed it!

Forgot to mention--the only problem I had was running out of gas on a busy road in Wilmington, NC Embarassed ....thought I had a little more in the tank....
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

9 days in Baja in August 2021, 3 vans, 1500 miles.
Great trip, wives, kids, surf, lots of water fun.
No van issues except 2 got a flat on different days.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 47

Jump to: