Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red Light On!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffwagj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Red Light On! Reply with quote

I just recently got a 69 bus for free and am doing my tune up, oil change, valves and all that. One problem I've come across already is the Gen warning light wont go off. I've checked the belt and tension and thats fine. I tried to fallow Muirs advice but couldnt quite understand some of it. Any advice on how to diagnose this problem?
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pull the brushes out and check them. They might be worn down and not making contact anymore. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure that the armature(that thing that the brushes make contact with. there should be grooves in it) isnt worn down to much other wise it just wont charge.
griffwagj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Red Light On! Reply with quote

Man, You know I tried to find the brushes and push down on them like Muir says. But I wasnt even sure were they were. Theres a place in the top of the regulater were I can see inside. Also one on the bottom. But There were a few differant things in there. How do you take them out too?
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a screw that holds a braided wire that runs to the brush. There is a spring clip that keeps constant press on the brush. The underside is a bitch! I have used a piece of twig in between the brush and the spring to get a little more life. Noe reccomended just to get you out of a pinch. Also It's easy to drop the screw in the Gen. So be careful. Good luck

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I have been through this....make sure that you have three wires hooked up to the generator, up on top. They should be connected to the voltage regulator, which on the right side of the engine compartment. One time i had a voltage regulator that had gone bad and they are not expensive really, so pick one up and replace it before you pull the gen out if you haven't already. Again, like muir says, if that doesnt solve your problem, you always wanted an extra one. Just pay careful attention to the wiring, and do one at a time with the ground disconnected from the battery. The screws that hold the regulator on act as grounds so put them all back. I learned this from experience. Also just jiggle the wiring on the generator, that solved my red light problem once. But, depending on your financial situation, I would consider since the bus was free put out a little and pull the motor and get a new generator in the name of dependability. Hit it before it hits you. You could do the clutch too then, depending on how it looks. And trust me, you can do it. I just did my first a few weeks back and it was not so bad. Peace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are pulling the engine to replace the generator, you could drop in an alternator for very little more $$. No more problems with the @#$% brushes. And if the engine is out, do the clutch plate and throwout bearing anyway. They are both really inexpensive and easy to do. The hardest part of the clutch job is pulling the engine!

Best of luck with the '69 - I have one also!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just one more thing...

If you pull the engine you can then remove the access cover on the fuel tank. Then go through and replace *all* the rubber fuel lines. Your free bus will last much longer this way.
griffwagj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Red Light On! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice. I replaced the brushes witch were about half the size of the new ones and light went out. The bottom one was a thrill. Now I can move on to the next task. Thanks again!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked! Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
nothereanymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...really replace those fuel lines. No matter what. You don't need to pull the engine, although it makes things easier. Get the proper size fuel line, replace everything and use clamps. Pay attention to where the hard fuel line passes through the breast tin (front of engine, left side). I think type2.com has a post on how to address that area. Also, safety wire the brass fuel inlet of the stock carb to one of the top screws on the carb. Use clamps everywhere. Fire is a very real threat with old unclamped fuel system. A fuel line breaks, raw fuel gets on hot manifolds, or worse, sucked into the cooling fan...need I say more?

If you don't believe me, go to a wrecking yard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: