Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering my Type 3
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Lowering my Type 3 Reply with quote

I cannot seem to find any good info. Is there a kit or way to do it myself properly? What exactly do I need?

thanks

e
tisz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Me to man Reply with quote

I would like to know also, what id like to see is a DIY = Do it your self page , somthing with steps on how to, what parts are needed, tools, and pictures, Just an idea. But id like to also know what is needed, as to parts, etc

thanks
67'squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: You can do it! Reply with quote

Type 3's are the easiest to lower. There are no special tools or parts neeed, however, you can improve your ride with new lowered KYB gas shocks.

Basically, you will need to pull the torsion bars, mark the original location first, push them up to the new ( lowered), location, and then push them back in. It's really simple. The fronts are much esier than the rears, but you can do the entire car in about 3 hours.
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: You can do it! Reply with quote

67'squareback wrote:
Type 3's are the easiest to lower. There are no special tools or parts neeed, however, you can improve your ride with new lowered KYB gas shocks.

Basically, you will need to pull the torsion bars, mark the original location first, push them up to the new ( lowered), location, and then push them back in. It's really simple. The fronts are much esier than the rears, but you can do the entire car in about 3 hours.

Really, wow. So the torsion bars are the only thing that determine ride height?

thanks
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE link to lower the front of your T3.

http://www.keedyweb.net/vwkeedys/tech/t3l-lower.html

The rear is the same as T1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
THE link to lower the front of your T3.

http://www.keedyweb.net/vwkeedys/tech/t3l-lower.html

The rear is the same as T1.

Excellent, thanks. Is it true that the bentley manual also has a chapter on the subject?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonetheless wrote:

Excellent, thanks. Is it true that the bentley manual also has a chapter on the subject?

Does not specifically mention lowering, but shows you all you'd need to touch. And besides, you should have a Bentley, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
nonetheless wrote:

Does not specifically mention lowering, but shows you all you'd need to touch. And besides, you should have a Bentley, anyway.

Oh yeah, I am probably ordering one tomarrow. I have only had a vw for 2 weeks now.

How about videos? A video on lowering a square would make my freakin' day.

thanks
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Anyone have trouble with wheels rub?

How about the rear, is there a good article out there for that?

thanks
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonetheless wrote:

How about videos? A video on lowering a square would make my freakin' day.

thanks

Not that I am aware of, but I am sure that if you made one when you endeavour your type3 lowering, you could make a few bucks.
Food for thought!
nik
tisz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv seen some members with 17's on there ride, im wondering if there would be any rubbing issues with that, also when lowering it, what able the camber, does this car even use a camber system? (sorry im new to old cars)
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took the front wheels off just to get in there and clean everything. I wire brushed and steel-wooled the entire front end. Iwanted to have everything clean and get a good look before I go in and start taking things apart. Lowering the front looks easy and makes sense.

Today I did the same to the rear, cleaned it all up, also the trannie and as much of the engine I could reach. Lowering the rear scares me. Which one is the torsion bar? I keep seeing sites that say how simple it is. With no explanation or pics. Anyone have a detailed explanation and maybe some pics?
Barter_Builder
69 FI/AC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look in your bently you should have it by now right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72sQuarey wrote:
just look in your bently you should have it by now right?

Not yet, ordered from amazon last thursday, should be here soon.
Hope it sets me straight.

thanks
67'squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

Very Happy To lower the rear is simple, however, not easy as the front.
The Torsion bar is located towards the fron end of the car.

Look inside the wheel well of the rear wheel, driver side.
To your left you will see the torsion bar pocking through. Laughing It looks like a solid round tube , held in place with a odd (rectangle?) shaped plate and has four bolts.

To access the torsion, you will need to take care of a couple of things. First, remove the small plate in the rear fender just in front of the torsion. This will allow you to slide the torsion straight out. Laughing There is one small (9mm I think) bolt holding it in place. You will need to remove the rocker trim also.

Next, remove the four bolts that hold the plate in place, ans slide the cover off. The rubber boot slides off next.

Now, remove the shocks, and loosen the rear axle from the lower are that connects to the torsion. Rolling Eyes

Once you have all parts pulled away, MARK THE LOCATION Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation of the stock position, this is important Exclamation to ensure a level lowering, then slide it out.

You will need to pry it. but it should come without any serious force. Evil or Very Mad

Once you feel it come free from the inner teeth, move it upwards to the desired height. I went 3 clicks fron and rear on my 67. Any more would be too much to deal with.

Once you have it where you want, slide it securely back in and replace the covers. Very Happy This sounds easy , but be prepared to fight it. Twisted Evil The torsion plate cover will be a bit difficult because the rubber boot will tend to keep the plate from moving in close enough to get the bolts started. Mad Don't give up. It will go.

Next it's time to replace the axle connections to the lower arm and the like. Again, a pain in the rear, but not impossible. Be patient and sober while working on this project. You may get frustrated enough to break something. Mad Have a floor jack handy to help move the parts into place. (you will understand when you get to this point) Trust me. Laughing

Patience and diligence pays off. Your car will be lowered in the rear, and you will have accomlished it on your own. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you 67, exactly what I was looking for. Now I can use a real persons perspective along with the bentley and not be scared.

Now, I have seen squares lowered and the rear wheels are both slanted in at the top. From looking at the rear end this doesn't seem possible. But is there a way to keep this from happening?

thanks all.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The / \ look is unavoidable on swing-ax (pre-69) cars. The axles are not jointed/flexible at the wheel end. Think of the rear as 2 "T"s laid foot to foot, like this |-- --|. When it's lowered, you're pressing down on the middle, so the tops slant in.
Some folks actually LIKE that look.
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
The / \ look is unavoidable on swing-ax (pre-69) cars. The axles are not jointed/flexible at the wheel end. Think of the rear as 2 "T"s laid foot to foot, like this |-- --|. When it's lowered, you're pressing down on the middle, so the tops slant in.
Some folks actually LIKE that look.

Mine is a 71, that means it has IRS, correct? So will I have to worry about / \ ?
QWKDTSN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your wheels won't go /----\. That's called extreme negative camber, BTW.
My '67 is swingaxle so it's got terrible camber but I like it. It's funny how people comment that there's something wrong with the suspension, and my dad always complains about how I must be screwing everything up with it lowered like that. Oh well Twisted Evil

I like the looks of a slammed swingaxle bug... SLAMMED.. with way too much camber...
nonetheless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QWKDTSN wrote:
No, your wheels won't go /----\. That's called extreme negative camber, BTW.
My '67 is swingaxle so it's got terrible camber but I like it. It's funny how people comment that there's something wrong with the suspension, and my dad always complains about how I must be screwing everything up with it lowered like that. Oh well Twisted Evil

I like the looks of a slammed swingaxle bug... SLAMMED.. with way too much camber...

Excellent, thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: