Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor Build for 1602cc 36 HP
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1602cc build Reply with quote

bvilletom wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am making some headway now, the full flow case drilling came straight and centered .

Bvilletom

Looks familiar! Very Happy Glad to see it coming together!

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
p912s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the build info! Can't wait to see it run this fall.

Scot
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Interested to know how this motor performs with that grind and if it could be a daily driver set-up or not?

Trevor
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: The BUILD CONTINUES Reply with quote

Well, I finally have the long block done. I was held up waiting for the heads to come back from the machinist so I could trial fit heads, cylinders and spacers to determine the stud lengths and see if the deck clearance was figured correctly. I wanted a tight deck clearance of .040” and got it. I had the heads opened up for the 40 HP big bore cylinders and milled .100” to get a 10 to 1 compression area. The head chambers were 45 cc before and .100” off makes them 36 cc now which with the 1602 cc size puts the C R. at 10.63; remember this a Bonneville high altitude motor. I can always un-shroud the valves more or add a shim. I will write a head impression post later it was a little frustrating, to say the least!

The cylinder clearance work sucks. I did it without a mill and it took forever. A combination of tools like 4” angle grinder with 1/4” rough disc worked the best with other tools you don’t want to even know about. I just kept working away and fitting them to the case and studs until I had good clearance. Then I blended the fins followed by a light coat of black paint to make things look better.

Now with 8 mm studs, you have to shorten every one to get them to come out right. The four short ones have to be exactly the right length to fit into the 8 mm internal hex nuts or you can’t assembly them. The nuts are from the 911 heater box and they fit perfectly. I measured 3 sets of 8 mm stud diameters and they vary a lot. I put threads on the four largest diameter studs and made them the short ones and that end is screwed into the case inserts.

Another problem is the cylinder O.D. fin area width, the 36 hp sheet metal won’t fit, and it’s not wide enough. I guess I could grind the fins down but that didn’t seem logical, so I’m using the later VW tin from the 1600 cc single port; it is wide enough & I have to modify it for the Wolfsburg West heads anyway as well as all the manifolds including Speedwell.

I personally don’t think the difference between 1582 cc and 1602 cc is worth all this extra effort for the fabrication of a one off motor.

In my next post on heads, I’ll discuss some real gems that showed up on the flow bench.

Bvilletom

1970 Porsche 914/6 – 2 liter LSR record holder
1992 Metro Sedan – 1 liter LSR records
1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint – under construction
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I believe you could build a race motor using nothing but a rock and a railroad spike!
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The BUILD CONTINUES Reply with quote

bvilletom wrote:

The cylinder clearance work sucks. I did it without a mill and it took forever. A combination of tools like 4” angle grinder with 1/4” rough disc worked the best with other tools you don’t want to even know about. I just kept working away and fitting them to the case and studs until I had good clearance. Then I blended the fins followed by a light coat of black paint to make things look better.

Bvilletom

I feel your pain,Tom. I did my set for last years bus engine with a mill and it still sucked. I did all the finish work on a belt/stationary disc sander and small flapdisc for the tight spots. The compression you are running should run in a non- Bonneville setting as well. My bus engine was set at 9.5, it ran really cold blooded, I could barley get 325 degrees on the head temp gauge. Ran a little warmer in my climate here but not much. While both engines are similar, I used a shorter stroke with 36hp rods. Curious to see what your engine runs like with the longer rods as I've got one just like it in the shop I have not built yet.

Quote:
Tom, I believe you could build a race motor using nothing but a rock and a railroad spike!

Dang it Jerry! Who told you about my tool box!? The spike does have a "VW" use....I'll let you wonder about that one!

Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sayin' the spike goes in the square jack hole you you can use a non-VW jack to lift the car/bus? Just my guess...............

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
I'm sayin' the spike goes in the square jack hole you you can use a non-VW jack to lift the car/bus? Just my guess...............

Burly

Nah, I think he uses it with a rock to get the axle nut off or tighten it to the next cotter...
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottle opener?

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll give. When you sell retail you meet a lot of different interesting people. There used to be a local crew that I used to know that could be described for lack of a better word as "Hillbillies". The favorite tool of choice with this crowd is of course a hammer. They all seemed to be a blacksmith (of sorts) that worked on aircooled VWs. So here it is. You take a railroad spike (dense iron, not steel) and give it a slight bend. Make a nice dull, flat end. It's the perfect tool for knocking off a stubborn pulley when you core out an engine. If you put it in just the right spot, you don't hurt the pulley at all and comes off in one hit (!). And yeah, if you have a rock intead of a hammer it does work on beer bottles too. There are also some other interesting things you can do with two or more hammers when dissembling a car but that is another story.......
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that explains the Mad Scientist and your icon(?). I am glad we asked!

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Progress as of Jul 28, 2012 Reply with quote

The Rock and Spike (according to some folks I could build an engine with just those tools) weren’t working too well according to my flow bench results.

I have a new Wolfsburg West/Okrasa kit before me. What I plan on doing is optimize a production set WW reads to get maximum flow without big valves and welding, etc.

First I’m going to flow the ports alone (no valves in) to see if the ports can be improved and how equal they are. Later this becomes important when you fit different manifolds, to see why some increase flow and some don’t. Many times it’s the port’s shape that optimizes flow.

Next I’m going to flow test the intake and exhaust at lifts from .050” to .500” (if possible). I will have a complete head flow test sheet just as it is new out of the box. Then I’ll have another flow test sheet after modifying the same thing to compare. In other words, test flow results before and after modifying.

The next thing that needs work is the valve seats which are sunk into the chamber floor as much as 1.4 mm with very sharp edges all around the seat. I will grind and blend the chamber to be as flush with the seat tops as possible and un-shroud the nearest chamber wall slightly. I did not touch the valve or seat; this was an exhaust valve. Then I rounded off the flat aluminum ledge on each side of the exhaust valve guide blending it into the port shape and removing a slight amount off the casting flash. When I tested the port, the flow increase was impressive at .10”of H2O. The exhaust ports flowed 54 to 57 CFM before any modification and with a very small amount of work they are now .65.5 to 67.5 CFM.

The Wolfsburg West exhaust ports flow very well in the mid range, .200” to .350” which is better than the original Okrasa head. Next with a slight bit more work of shaping the port and widening around the guide boss as well as shaping the valve (backcut, etc.) it will flow better than a stock 1600 dual port with only the stock 28 mm WW exhaust valve.

Bvilletom

The first photo is the valve seat before modification

The second photo is of the ledge at the exhaust valve seat guide

The third photo is the chamber area blended to the valve seat

In the fourth photo, the right head is done the left one is not

ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lives.

73 Type 181 Thing
Oval, 36hp und nichts anderes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralphd wrote:
It lives.

Looks great Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: INTAKE PORT UPDATE 7-7-12 Reply with quote

The intake ports were a real learning lesson; the ports are very short in length with many sharp edges causing a turbulent, jumpy airflow. I generally don’t like to flow the head ports with the intake manifolds on because sometimes it is a crutch to get really good flow numbers. Everybody wants to say that their heads flow more than anyone else’s heads, what they really mean is my heads with manifold on will flow better than your heads. They don’t mention that the test was with the manifold versus without a manifold, so you don’t know if you’re comparing equal test components.

The Wolfsburg West intake ports are pretty good, I blended slightly and that was it. Then I started to play with different intake manifolds,
WOW!

This head was the most intake manifold dependent unit I have ever seen. You can gain or lose great amounts of CFM just by the manifold choice. Here are the flow figures for the head, intake port flows 54.9 CFM alone.

1. Put on an old Okrasa or a new Wolfsburg West manifolds; both had flows that varied from: .…………………………………………… 55.5 CFM to 57.9 CFM
2. Put on the handmade Brukrasa single port manifold, flow is…. 59 CFM
3. Put on a new SPEEDWELL manifold , flow goes to …………………….67 CFM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In summary, a manifold that is tapered and fairly long, gives the head's port a rush of a laminar flowing column of air which smoothes out most of the turbulent problems in the short head port. More drastic porting and shaping of ports could possibly make way more CFM. But look at this gain alone with stock valve and seat and practically no intake porting, a 12.1 CFM was accomplished just by bolting on a manifold!

By spending a couple more weeks time continuing the tests would result in more improvement in CFM, like value and seat shaping. However, the is not time for this additional work before the motor needs to be completed.
This is the first set of Wolfsburg West heads I have ever tested on my bench.

Bvilletom

splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE. I'm pulling last years Bonneville engine and putting on SPEEDWELL mainfolds, 40P11 Solexs and SPEEDWELLS 1.25 rockers next week. Can't wait to see if it'll pull more then the current 64hp with the new mods. You give me insperation Tom. If SPEEDWELL doesn't come through with the rockers can I borrow yours!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not every day you see a 36hp block with 48mm carbs.

73 Type 181 Thing
Oval, 36hp und nichts anderes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1602 cc Bonneville race results Reply with quote

The Newport 36 hp 1602cc story goes on. The first run at the Bonneville Salt Flats in the Anderson 36 HP Karmen Ghia, DSS (Dual Super stock) class, we broke the dyno tuned Denzel Ghia speed record of 105 mph with a 108.186 mph run and backed it up with a 107.728 mph at the USFRA meet. This was the high compression 1602 cc street motor with a Mr. Motorhead #2 street cam, vintage Solex carbs and Wolfsburg West heads with STOCK SIZED VALVES, just blueprinted to the hilt.

Then we put it in Tom Newport's VW buggy and he drove it to the fastest 36 HP VW Dune buggy speed of 97.77 mph. He made 6 passes all between 95 mph and 97+ mph.

We finished the meet with the motor in good shape and the valves only loosened up less than .002". The motor seems to be a really good torque motor. With a more racy cam and the 48 IDF webers, it will be a much higher RPM motor.

We haven't even taken the breakin oil out yet!

BvilleTom

ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Tom. I really enjoyed talking to you. Twin sons of different mothers! Did I ever tell you about my punkin chunker?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are twin sons from different mothers and fathers! I guess you would call it kindred spirits.

Bvilletom

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: