Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
reay wrote:
The mesh is black, I have been painting them with POR 15 and that shean works fine.

Had an opportunity see all original T34 in the weekend and it had black or very dark grey plastic mesh in those holes. I have that somewhere, just need to find it.

Took dozens of pics for all details we didn't have pics for and specifically of the carpets we didn't have, so no idea where the pieces belong. Carpet should arrive early next week but we'll see. We don't have much surplus so careful cutting is needed.

Interesting almost rectangular pieces in the side wall in front of door and almost triangular pieces on top of rear wheel arches.

It was also a surprise that the luggage box behind rear seat has one huge piece of carpet and not much more.

Got a picture of the wiring too, it's just stuffed behind instrument panel, no cover or anything like it. Brutal.

It would be wonderful if you could post detail photos in the gallery, Kharon. And congrats on your steady progress, it's encouraging to watch.

After approaching a 3D printing shop AND a small machine shop without success, I decided to attempt repair of the sunroof slider. First with a nano-adhesive (UV cure) featuring metal dust as reinforcement... NFG. Tried soldering but the 60/40 zinc I have didn't hold either.
So I cleaned everything and drilled a bunch of tiny holes to form a matrix and applied the high PSI version of JB weld. After that set, a small plate of 22 ga. steel was drilled and bonded on as a gusset. Gonna let it cure over the weekend and try it Monday.
Maybe pull a silicone mold off of it first?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vintage Driven... Oil Cooled

'62 Porsche 356 Notchback Hotrod
'63 VW Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'64 VW Bus 21 Deluxe Samba
'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:

It would be wonderful if you could post detail photos in the gallery, Kharon. And congrats on your steady progress, it's encouraging to watch.

Thanks! Sometimes it doesn't feel progress at all, but every time one item less missing.

Rear pop-ups, door locks and many interior pieces are now installed back, it almost looks like a whole car now. I noticed also that I promised too much, had only 20 pictures, but I made a gallery of those:

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia4/

Some specialities which were new/undocumented earlier (at least to me):

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia4/P2152280.JPG
Carpet turned around the hood springs, nice detail.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia4/P2152296.JPG
Solid vinyl besides rear seat and bottom trim on the door.

I'm hoping to see this car/owner in late June again, so I can take more pictures then. Currently he's 230km/150miles away, so no quick visits to take some pics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Major progress: Door locks and door windows assembled.

Took several days as it's not simple thing to do.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2292300.JPG

Installed last gauge back after managed to verify that fuel gauge works and shows something sensible. Warning lights and blinkers seem to still work, successful installation.

Also installed radio (Blaupunkt Frankfurt, not far from '65 either direction), not connected yet and we don't have a speaker either, but it's a serviced radio, should be OK.

Banana plug connectors for speaker and antenna, but 5-pin DIN for input/output(?) .. no idea if all pins are connected. Line in is very useful, just connect your phone to it and vóila: Instant internet radio (assuming unlimited data, of course).

Charging phone is a problem though, haven't seen any USB-chargers accepting 6V in. In the old times it was easy as phone accepted dumb charger as long as voltage was correct (for my phone then 3.7V) and that was easy with a single voltage regulator from 6V.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2292301.JPG

Dash looks so good now.

Small bits & pieces still missing, like engine and carpets, but some progress and almost all of the electrics (sans engine) is now connected and tested.

Tidying the tangle of wires probably will disconnect/break something but I try to worry it when/if it happens and not now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

You are making major progress! BTW, is that SP2 yours as well? Very Happy

Turns out that with a little patience, the right approach and JB Weld can fix nearly anything. It works! It's ridiculous but this small success felt like a major accomplishment.

Also replaced the door latch mechanisms with NOS units, corrected an oil leak on the new engine and put 100 miles on it this week. A few paint touch-ups and then it's back to work on my '64 Samba.

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:

Thanks!

SP2 isn't mine but I know the owner, he owns part of the garage where I'm working with a helper/body guy.

Or actually I'm the helper, he has as long experience on VWs as I do (Bought my first Beetle in 1984, that's 36 years ago. Damn. Who pushed fast-forward?), but he has been working with type 3 earlier and for me it is all new.

Neither of us have time to work on this full time, but it progresses much faster when there are two part-time guys doing something.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Charging phone is a problem though, haven't seen any USB-chargers accepting 6V in. In the old times it was easy as phone accepted dumb charger as long as voltage was correct (for my phone then 3.7V) and that was easy with a single voltage regulator from 6V.

Updating myself:

I got reports that most $9 12V USB chargers work like a charm despite battery voltage being only 6V. Haven't tried yet, but obviously on the list to test.

Packed wiring underneath the dash and while it compressed nicely it still needs some re-arranging so that the wires coming to fuse box are the bottommost ones and all the rest are above them, otherwise the latter are hanging too low.

Also connected speaker to the radio, but something is still wrong, it's very soft even with loudest setting. Could be missing ground, again.

Power light is on so at least it gets some power. No antenna so no stations either.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
bullethead wrote:

Thanks!

SP2 isn't mine but I know the owner, he owns part of the garage where I'm working with a helper/body guy.

Or actually I'm the helper, he has as long experience on VWs as I do (Bought my first Beetle in 1984, that's 36 years ago. Damn. Who pushed fast-forward?), but he has been working with type 3 earlier and for me it is all new.

Neither of us have time to work on this full time, but it progresses much faster when there are two part-time guys doing something.

You're making great progress though, even if it's just "part time".
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
Turns out that with a little patience, the right approach and JB Weld can fix nearly anything. It works! It's ridiculous but this small success felt like a major accomplishment.

Working sunroof, when parts are "mission impossible", *isn't* a small success at all. Smile
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You're making great progress though, even if it's just "part time".

Thanks!

Sometimes months pass and nothing really happens and then moon is in a favourable position and a lot happens very fast.

There's no rational explanation to that, so moon is as good as any.

But winter finally being over, so we get sunny days, definitely helps.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:

Also replaced the door latch mechanisms with NOS units, corrected an oil leak on the new engine and put 100 miles on it this week. A few paint touch-ups and then it's back to work on my '64 Samba.

I'm glad the JB Weld finally worked out for you. While you might not like it, one thing I've learned about T-34s, is sometimes you have to improvise, adapt, and over come. These cars, while based on a type 3, are completely all their own.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
Also replaced the door latch mechanisms with NOS units

Forgot to comment this earlier: The aluminium piece on the outside of lock frame was loose, I'll guess? The piece which has latch axle inside?

Mine had that problem on the driver side door so I took the lock apart and the problem is basically a rivet failing and being loose. The aluminium part is just riveted to the lock frame with one aluminium rivet. No wonder it eventually fails.

Drilled and threaded a M3 hole to rivet, bolted it and now it's as good as new. Have some pics too, but those are poor so I didn't publish them on page. User error on focus as autofocus couldn't focus that near.

Here's partially disassembled lock and the end of the rivet with a already threaded hole can be seen in the middle.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P1122252.JPG

Here's same thing with bolt and washer installed.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P1122253.JPG

Hopefully you can see something as I had that thing on the desk, I know what it looks like so it's easy to imagine the rest even from poor pics.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Semi-quarantine here in North so I'm just ordering remaining parts, but something still happens.

Engine jumped into engine bay and floor carpet materials came but only half of what we ordered.

Anyway, we cut that and send them forward to seamstress to have edges done and ordered more, no panic. Haven't yet seen it so can't comment

Most of the small carboard hoses (~1") were so bad that we aren't re-using them but replace with new ones and I ordered those, with speedometer cable as ours was a foot too short, i.e. broken.

Also small rubber triangles to lower edge of the door, hopefully the same as split window bus has. At least they look the same and no-one is selling those specifially for T34.

Front seats still need washing and some patches of paint but that's a minor task.

Work hours? No idea, haven't counted. But bodywork (i.e. rust hole & poor patch removal) and painting definitely the major parts, about 6 months full time work, >1000 hours.

I think we've (almost) all the parts now ... feels good and definitely helps the budget ... haven't dared to make a summary, but I do have all the receipts in a box.

But I'm sure it's in "too much" -class. Ugh. Well, my bank account survived it so no worries, eh?
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
bullethead wrote:
Also replaced the door latch mechanisms with NOS units

Forgot to comment this earlier: The aluminium piece on the outside of lock frame was loose, I'll guess? The piece which has latch axle inside?

Here's partially disassembled lock and the end of the rivet with a already threaded hole can be seen in the middle.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P1122252.JPG

Here's same thing with bolt and washer installed.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P1122253.JPG

Hopefully you can see something as I had that thing on the desk, I know what it looks like so it's easy to imagine the rest even from poor pics.

Useful info for sure, but both of my latches were simply worn out: the lock pivots themselves were shot, and the lower face on the driver's side had a fair amount of it's face worn off. They weren't re-buildable.

And thanks for the encouragement Bob... yeah, sometime ya gotta make do. Sunroof works great, but with summer coming it's not gonna be used for awhile. Laughing

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Now that the paint touch-ups are done, the punch list of niggling issues is nearly complete. Replacing the antenna with a proper Hirschmann next week, and the clock will be serviced. Meanwhile, it's back home for regular daily use.
Parked next to our 280SL illustrates just how big der Grosser Ghia is! Nearly identical dimensions. Never woulda thought... EDIT: a better photo-

BTW, have been looking for any cover company that makes something for these cars. Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe a first-generation two-door Corvair would fit?

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT

Last edited by bullethead on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Tip: for those home manufacturing the tool to remove the rear engine hatch lock - the same collar with the two detents is found on beetle glove box locks. You can test the fit before mangling the T34.
I used a 16 mm deep socket, cut the two teeth with a dremel and cutting disc, filed smooth by hand. THe socket needed some internal grinding (again with a stone on the dremel). The tangs are 3.5 mm wide, 2.5 mm deep
Now I need some tips on how to disassemble the lock.

Update - photos to show it can be done! One showing the threaded ring in the tool.

Last edited by ozinbc on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:

That is a good lookin' car.

Love those pagoda 280SLs too
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
Now that the paint touch-ups are done, the punch list of niggling issues is nearly complete. Replacing the antenna with a proper Hirschmann next week, and the clock will be serviced. Meanwhile, it's back home for regular daily use.
Parked next to our 280SL illustrates just how big der Grosser Ghia is! Nearly identical dimensions. Never woulda thought...

BTW, have been looking for any cover company that makes something for these cars. Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe a first-generation two-door Corvair would fit?

Beautiful looking car. You might try a Corvair cover, as it is a German Corvair you're trying to cover. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:
Tip: for those home manufacturing the tool to remove the rear engine hatch lock - the same collar with the two detents is found on beetle glove box locks. You can test the fit before mangling the T34.
I used a 16 mm deep socket, cut the two teeth with a dremel and cutting disc, filed smooth by hand. THe socket needed some internal grinding (again with a stone on the dremel). The tangs are 3.5 mm wide, 2.5 mm deep
Now I need some tips on how to disassemble the lock.

Thank you, I added a link to your post with information from the "info" links at the start of this thread.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chipmcluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
Parked next to our 280SL illustrates just how big der Grosser Ghia is! Nearly identical dimensions. Never woulda thought... EDIT: a better photo-

I ordered one made for a type 14 Ghia and it fits pretty well. A little short at the bumper ends but with given dimensions, I thought a Corvair cover would be a little too sloppy.
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

chipmcluk wrote:

I ordered one made for a type 14 Ghia and it fits pretty well. A little short at the bumper ends but with given dimensions, I thought a Corvair cover would be a little too sloppy.

Yeah, after checking the dimensions, surprisingly a Corvair is nearly 20 inches longer and also wider. Per your suggestion, how's the mirror location... close enough?

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 60

Jump to: