Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
volksaddict wrote:
So, I've discovered that the rubber bands that keep the door from opening too far are longer on a t34 than the readily available t1 ghia part

Yup. I used small Ghia part and it works, door just don't open all the way.

Opens enough (for me at least) and wide doors like these, at parking lot (or in a garage) opening all the way are kind of a problem, easily bangs to neighbouring cars.

So mixed feelings about this.

There are new correct-length reproductions on the way from Baanrodvolk Thailand. Should be widely available soon. Get 'em while you can.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
There are new correct-length reproductions on the way from Baanrodvolk Thailand. Should be widely available soon. Get 'em while you can.

Good to know, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

But the actual question I had: I'm installing windshield washer hose and none of the pics we have, shows how it was routed from reservoir to the switch?

AFAIK there isn't a hole for the hose at trunk rear wall and I couldn't find any other hole a hose would fit through. Either I can't find it or we've patched over it by mistake and need to make a new one.

Related question: Should the horn button have a similar grounding wire as Beetle? Horn relays get solid 6V so the horn switch is on the ground side, but AFAIK the steering column itself isn't/shouldn't be grounded, it needs a wire for that.

I think we have a ground leak on steering column ... finding that may be difficult. Last time I connected horn wire to steering column pin, I got constant horn on. Ouch.

Small things but these seem to be as difficult and time consuming as major things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
But the actual question I had: I'm installing windshield washer hose and none of the pics we have, shows how it was routed from reservoir to the switch?

AFAIK there isn't a hole for the hose at trunk rear wall and I couldn't find any other hole a hose would fit through. Either I can't find it or we've patched over it by mistake and need to make a new one.
Small things but these seem to be as difficult and time consuming as major things.

I think it goes into the upper (upper right in this pic) hole with the grommet just above the hood release cable sheath.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I think it goes into the upper (upper right in this pic) hole with the grommet just above the hood release cable sheath.

Yep

2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Yep

Thank you!

I'll buy few meters of suitable hose and try to fit in place, the pics help a lot.

Update: Hose is there, but of course I forgot a grommet, so not connected yet.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

My headliner from Sewfine came out nice! And my sunroof operates just like it should Very Happy Happy day!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Last of the red cloth thats available.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2429562

That turned out nice - especially with a sunroof!

volksaddict wrote:

My headliner from Sewfine came out nice! And my sunroof operates just like it should Very Happy Happy day!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Im going to place some parts up for sale soon. Front and rear trunk lids, a set of doors and a pair of front seats. All off a 64.

I need a nice gas tank for a 64 Im will to take in partial trade. Ill post the ad here once I make it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:

Looks great Jeff !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Im going to place some parts up for sale soon. Front and rear trunk lids, a set of doors and a pair of front seats. All off a 64.

I need a nice gas tank for a 64 Im will to take in partial trade. Ill post the ad here once I make it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2430501

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:

What's the line in the sunroof section for? Is this a reference line that the trimmer put in?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Sewfine provided me a sunroof panel for a bug or notch/square/fast that has the flap sewn on for the support bar on the metal roof panel backing. They have now been informed that there is no support bar on the little 345 sunroof and a plain piece of material would be better.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

First time this car has had it's glass back in place in 40 years Very Happy Been out of the car at least the last 3 owners, I remember it being stored in the last owner's bathroom Shocked amazing it hasn't been broken. That rear window is a big piece of glass! A little floppy on it's own.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Update: Hose is there, but of course I forgot a grommet, so not connected yet.

Everything else is there, but a really stupid blocker now: Which one of those two nipples I connect the hose coming from reservoir?

I couldn't see any markings on the valve itself (it being in place) and of course it won't work if the hoses are wrong way.

Yet another thing I should have checked when the switch was out of the car.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:

First time this car has had it's glass back in place in 40 years Very Happy Been out of the car at least the last 3 owners, I remember it being stored in the last owner's bathroom Shocked amazing it hasn't been broken. That rear window is a big piece of glass! A little floppy on it's own.

Congrats. That's the biggest yahoo moment in any resto. Very Happy I was extremely happy when I finally got my glass into the car. The real PIA came when doing the door glass though, as I had an early car, and late seals which didn't want to play nice.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I'm still dreading the door glass install. I got 2 sets of door glass seals from PoP in Thailand many, many years ago and I know these seals are meant to be used with the later doors, vent frame and door glass.

Does anyone know if the upper door glass seals ISP West now carries work well with the early cars?

Last edited by gregson1 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
I'm still dreading the door glass install. Did they ever fix the issue with the seals that ISP West now carries?

Greg, do you have any recent pictures of your T34? I would love to see it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
I'm still dreading the door glass install. I got 2 sets of door glass seals from PoP in Thailand many, many years ago and I know these seals are meant to be used with the later doors, vent frame and door glass.

Does anyone know if the upper door glass seals ISP West now carries work well with the early cars?

Don't know about the fit, but from what I understand, they are Simon Kelly's seals. If they still are, you might want to look into getting a set of low light Ghia seals for across the top of the door. That's what I had to use on my 64 T-34, and I think Jack used them on his 65. The late style seal was made for the 67-69 cars. I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Took some time and redid the SB-13's for the Ghia. Im going to see how some Euro BOSCH H4's look.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 60

Jump to: