Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
I'm still dreading the door glass install. I got 2 sets of door glass seals from PoP in Thailand many, many years ago and I know these seals are meant to be used with the later doors, vent frame and door glass.

Does anyone know if the upper door glass seals ISP West now carries work well with the early cars?

Mine fit great on the 65 Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I used Pop's seals on the front and rear glass, seals that I'd had waiting for 15 years. Real supple and nice to work with. I have a extra set that will go in the classifides if anyone wants them.
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

The Hella H4s look badass on a Type 34, in my opinion. The flat glass and fluting makes the front end look a little 'meaner' and works with the SB13 headlight rings. My first Type 34 had them installed.

But, I ended up selling them and my SB13 parts to fund a set of Euro Type 34 headlights.

I also really like the look of the Marchal Equilux headlights, but I really don't know how effective this vintage lighting is when in active use.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
The Hella H4s look badass on a Type 34, in my opinion. The flat glass and fluting makes the front end look a little 'meaner' and works with the SB13 headlight rings.

Agreed. I like it as well. But I am also fortunate to have the Euro set up. I bought a set back in 2008 when I bought back into the T34 scene and paid what was considered back then - stupid money. I think it was $350 for a usable OG set. Laughing Now they are highly sought after and stupid expensive for headlights. Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Flat headlights look great on almost any VW. The exception (for me, at least) are the Ghias, especially low lights, whose front fender curves fit great with the bulging lenses of sealed beams or non-Hella composites.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I personally like the “dreamy” bubble headlights on all early vw’s

In the wise words of Yoda

Flat headlight lenses lead to H-4’s
H-4’s lead to Halos
Halos lead to The Dark Side

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
gregson1 wrote:
The Hella H4s look badass on a Type 34, in my opinion. The flat glass and fluting makes the front end look a little 'meaner' and works with the SB13 headlight rings.

Agreed. I like it as well. But I am also fortunate to have the Euro set up. I bought a set back in 2008 when I bought back into the T34 scene and paid what was considered back then - stupid money. I think it was $350 for a usable OG set. Laughing Now they are highly sought after and stupid expensive for headlights. Rolling Eyes

If you think the SB 13s for a T-34 are hard to find, try looking for sealed beam headlight parts for a T-34. Those are almost unobtainium. I know I had a hard time finding some parts for my T-34 back when I was rebuilding it.

A friend of mine has flat H4 headlights on his 66 T14 Ghia. To me they look out of place on a car with curves. Just my opinion.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
gregson1 wrote:

If you think the SB 13s for a T-34 are hard to find, try looking for sealed beam headlight parts for a T-34. Those are almost unobtainium. I know I had a hard time finding some parts for my T-34 back when I was rebuilding it.

A friend of mine has flat H4 headlights on his 66 T14 Ghia. To me they look out of place on a car with curves. Just my opinion.

SB-13's are the sealed beam stuff brother. The pic up above is the Euro bulb in the back type. Below is what I will be using I think, the SB-13 H4 lights.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Should my 345 have the felt seal around the front of the sunroof like the other steel sunroof models?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

This is a little out of topic, but as I found an old photo of the family's '62 Rambler Classic wagon during a fishing outing, I noticed the tail lamps look like a T34, and the somewhat odd roofline would make a perfect Type 34 estate:

Sedan version here shows the odd roofline used for the wagon.

... then I found this photoshop image from Samba member prostreetnotch posted 10 years ago:

They are brothers from another mother!

The BMW 1600 has similar taillights, and although there was a Touring version 3-door hatchback, I don't think there was ever a true estate/wagon.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

The 2002 would do in a pinch.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Look what is styling on the back of the Stutz Bearcat prototype!

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

That's amazing! I've seen many photos of that car but never made the connection!
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Do not forget Ford Cortina, in mid-60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1962_Ford_Consul_Cortina_(931946177).jpg
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Should my 345 have the felt seal around the front of the sunroof like the other steel sunroof models?

Yes it should have a seal.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
volksaddict wrote:

Yes it should have a seal.

Same as a Porsche 911 - check Pelican Parts. Unless you can't live with a black seal...the OG were gray. Front seal glues to the roof, rear seal to the sliding section.

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Thank you! I already have the grey felt glue in front seal, reused the old rear. Just wanted to be sure the front seal was used on the 345.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Floor carpets are nailed from the factory but now the problem, I don't have any and no idea how to find bunch of them.

What is the official name even, couldn't find anything sensible with 'nail'?

Advice welcome.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Floor carpets are nailed from the factory but now the problem, I don't have any and no idea how to find bunch of them.

Advice welcome.

You mean floor tacks? Or carpet tacks?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Kharon8 wrote:

Advice welcome.

You mean floor tacks? Or carpet tacks?

Maybe the tack at the bottom of the A pilar used to hold the thick vinyl connection section to the top of the door sill section, before it rolls down into the cabin by the heater foot vent.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Here's an ebay link with some pictures of the 'carpet nails' that are similar in shape to what was used in the VW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392179002687

VW used black (oxided) nails to hide them a little. They used different lengths in various places. I collected a bunch of these for my car from various Ghias over the years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 60

Jump to: