Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Kharon8 wrote:

Next problem: Small pieces of trim under vent window and quarter window are bad/broken. Have to dig them out from seal to see what they really look like and/or if they are repairable.

If you're meaning the polished aluminum pieces under the 1/4 window, they are the same as the piece that goes across the top above the doors and 1/4 windows. You just have to trim part of it off.

These came out of my T-34 gallery, pg 8. I hope they help. You can also look thru my T-34 gallery for other help as well if you need it (why I posted all of those pics).

I've looked it many times through, but there's so much stuff there I can't remember everything, thanks!

And yes, those are the pieces I meant. Good to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

You can get new ones from KGPR, and trim them if you need to.

Yes, there's a lot of info and stuff, along with pictures in both my build thread and the gallery. Some of it is where I had problems, and other parts where I had success. The air vent flaps were a success though. Maybe unconventional, but did work. The bike cable used as a replacement cable worked too. Don't forget to search thru the T-34 Registry archives, as there's info there you can use for making the hinge blocks for the 1/4 windows. Like I've said a few times, I was moving along a lot quicker than others on my project that I ended coming across items that no one had ran into before, mostly because they weren't that far along. I was told to slow down, as I was moving too fast. Supposedly a T-34 Resto is supposed to take 20 years, even IF Pedro or I didn't listen to them. A lot of it is motivation, and "free time" to devote to a project. Some searching of other peoples blogs helped, searching web sites, and just doing some digging in general can go a long way to helping finish your goal.
Sorry I started to go off on a tangent there. d'oh!
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You can get new ones from KGPR, and trim them if you need to.

Yes, there's a lot of info and stuff, along with pictures in both my build thread and the gallery. Some of it is where I had problems, and other parts where I had success. The air vent flaps were a success though. Maybe unconventional, but did work. The bike cable used as a replacement cable worked too. Don't forget to search thru the T-34 Registry archives, as there's info there you can use for making the hinge blocks for the 1/4 windows. Like I've said a few times, I was moving along a lot quicker than others on my project that I ended coming across items that no one had ran into before, mostly because they weren't that far along. I was told to slow down, as I was moving too fast. Supposedly a T-34 Resto is supposed to take 20 years, even IF Pedro or I didn't listen to them. A lot of it is motivation, and "free time" to devote to a project. Some searching of other peoples blogs helped, searching web sites, and just doing some digging in general can go a long way to helping finish your goal.
. I second that, it was way eadier to restore my ‘65 type 34 than to restore any of my other cars, including my busses.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Not at all, most of that is relevant when you are doing a project like this.

We started last autumn and if we can find/make all the rest of the parts, the restoration might be done by May. Not sooner than that as there're still a lot of things to do.

We'll see, no real hurry with this and from May onwards other projects (like driving the cars already done and new paint to roof of my small Karmann etc. ) so this will be bumped to next autumn.

Still fast compared to some others, but we kind of cheated by having one person doing the body work full time and it still took 4 months. Easily 4 years even for a determined hobbyist.

Autumn as "No repairs in summer unless forced" is a rule we have. Summer here in North is short, easily freezing cold at nights until late June.

Some progress too, finally got it dropped from stands to wheels and we have a rolling chassis. Wohoo.

Also installed doors and hood and some lights etc, it almost looks like a car now.

Trunk lid is still missing the seal. I though we had one but when I checked the old pics it hasn't ever been there. Oops.

Same profile as the same seal for small KG, just longer, so by having two of those it can be built, no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I know where you're coming from, as I was working alone (for the most part), and after work. I basically lost 2 full summers working on my own car, because I was doing it all. It still took me a solid 2 1/2 years to get it basically done. I did spend the fall afterward fine tuning on it, assembling a set of bumpers from several sources, and cleaning stuff up on it.

Last summer I worked on getting my Chevy Astro up and running from it's 9 year sleep. Plus working on the TA that's been here 3 years slowly getting restored. This year I'm going to drive the Notch more. I've got a couple of things I want to do before hand, but I will drive it this year.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: New T34 Owner Reply with quote

Long-time deluxe splitty owner (which is currently undergoing a bare shell resto) and proud new owner of a '63 T34. This car was apparently owned and restored by Greg Hahs a decade ago... I bought it on this site from the third owner. The restoration has held up pretty well, but there are a few things that need to be addressed so I'm hoping a few of you can steer me in the right direction.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The doors seem to be missing at least one rubber seal on the leading edge, part is NOT available. Both doors are poorly fitted... and the lower buffers need to be replaced. Very similar to the door closure details on our '68 280SL, but is the material supposed to be phenolic resin, nylon, or a hard rubber? I've made a pattern, making them won't be difficult.

Additionally, regarding door fitment: shims or? Any assistance in achieving good gaps is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Vintage Driven... Oil Cooled

'62 Porsche 356 Notchback Hotrod
'63 VW Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'64 VW Bus 21 Deluxe Samba
'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT

Last edited by bullethead on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: New T34 Owner Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
.... but is the material supposed to be phenolic resin, nylon, or a hard rubber? I've made a pattern, making them won't be difficult.

Additionally, regarding door fitment: shims or? Any assistance in achieving good gaps is greatly appreciated.

As far as I can tell it's hard rubber. The ones in my car are really hard and black, but all the other buffers are also rubber so a vote for rubber from me.

Door shells were fitted into chassis opening by hand so if you've doors swapped from another car (as the old ones rusted away), it needs some work to get even gaps. Otherwise shims should be enough as there's not much ways to adjust the hinges otherwise.

I see you have a cousin of my car except you have a sunroof .. OK, I'm officially envious now.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Update. Some more assembly done, but mostly pictures for things mentioned earlier.

Got reflectors back from coating and assembled headights and foglights.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171401.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171413.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171415.JPG

Reflectors look OK but we'll see if they are actually useful. Not a major problem as here in North lights in summer are mostly for legal obligations, they don't really help at seeing as there's plenty of light even at night.

Foglight bulb cover was causing a bit of head scratching as it's above the bulb and not below as one would expect.

Car sits quite high as we don't have engine yet, we'll see what the actual ride height will be once we get engine and spare wheel in and tank full.
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171406.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171407.JPG

Also original German-style side marker installed here. We decided to swap it and install full orange side blinker instead, like Finnish T34 did.

Overall pics show many other items in place.
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171408.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171409.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171410.JPG

Just adding some hatches back makes it look much more like a car and less like a project.

Rear bumper & door handles need re-chroming and that's blocked for now as local companies can't re-chrome the handles (because of the material) and we'd like to use one company for all chroming work.

(Pointers welcome, also in US as bumper is a three piece item, sending it doesn't cost arm & leg.)

Battery found and battery accessories assembled back. Cover for battery is still somewhere ... I remember I saw it in painted parts pile but now nowhere to be seen.
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171411.JPG

(Here it is, in the middle:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/PC060565.JPG )

Fitted steering column and related electrics to place and now I just need to connect all the wires in there. Then I can connect the battery and see what happens.
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171412.JPG

Ordered trunk seal & side blinkers (seals& lens) from ISP West and windshield trim & some seals from karmannghia.de.

Hub caps and beautification rings I've bought earlier, just not installed yet. Also decided against whitewall tyres, won't look good in a pale car and lot of chrome in the middle.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New T34 Owner Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
bullethead wrote:
.... but is the material supposed to be phenolic resin, nylon, or a hard rubber? I've made a pattern, making them won't be difficult.

As far as I can tell it's hard rubber. The ones in my car are really hard and black, but all the other buffers are also rubber so a vote for rubber from me.

Door shells were fitted into chassis opening by hand so if you've doors swapped from another car (as the old ones rusted away), it needs some work to get even gaps. Otherwise shims should be enough as there's not much ways to adjust the hinges otherwise.

I see you have a cousin of my car except you have a sunroof .. OK, I'm officially envious now.

Yup the triangles are rubber, and the same as t-14 Ghia convertible parts.

Shimming, and adjusting both ends of the door hinges are basically it. Check for excessive play in the hinge bushings though, as they are the wear part of the hinges.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Many thanks Bob... had no idea they were the same as for T14. Good deal!

Door hinges wouldn't happen to interchange, would they? Passenger lower is the culprit, looks like I'll have to drill and re-bush.

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:

Door hinges wouldn't happen to interchange, would they? Passenger lower is the culprit, looks like I'll have to drill and re-bush.

No problem. I even usedt-14 door seals for the front of the doors too.

Nope, hinges are all by themselves. You can re-bush them, but keep in mind the hinge itself is aluminum. If one is worn, I'd probably do them all.
Quite a few years back, someone re-bushed their t-34 hinges using a "help" kit for a Chrysler. I don't remember who, or what kit he used, but he did post up pics with "help" part numbers. Might be worth doing a forum search. I want to say the user was "Foxx" or something like that, he used to be a moderator. Maybe someone can remember?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
bullethead wrote:

No problem. I even usedt-14 door seals for the front of the doors too.

Which T14 seal and did you have to trim them to shape? We're talking about the seal that fits into the slot just inside the outer door skin, correct? Thanks for a clarification.

EDIT: with thanks Very Happy to Lee Hedges who sent me this solution:

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I'll be putting this hack to use on my car for the upper hinge area seal, but I hope someone does another reproduction for these two seals in the future. I have an old original left side seal that is still in one piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I'll be stealing this immediately as I'm missing those seals too.

Thank you. Smile
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
I'll be putting this hack to use on my car for the upper hinge area seal, but I hope someone does another reproduction for these two seals in the future. I have an old original left side seal that is still in one piece.

Excellent that you have at least one! Is the piece on the car or off? If you can provide a clear image of the cross section, there are extrusion suppliers that do small runs. Restoration Specialties, for example. I'd be happy to take it on, plenty of T34 owners are likely in need of these.

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

BTW: karmannghia.de has the upper seal in stock:

https://www.vintagecarparts.de/artikel.php?set_sho...nr=831735C

Not cheap at 38 euros per piece, but to here North the freight isn't much and VAT is paid in Germany so no local VAT added.

If I recall correctly this price includes 17% VAT, so US customers should get it that much cheaper.
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: ANY response Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, Kharon. Glad there's a source... however:

I placed a substantial order with them six days ago, sent an email query regarding that order two days ago and haven't had ANY response to date. Confused

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: ANY response Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:

I placed a substantial order with them six days ago, sent an email query regarding that order two days ago and haven't had ANY response to date. Confused

It's a one man shop and I thing Rüdiger has a day job also, so he's quite overloaded sometimes and it shows as a delay. No problem unless you're in a hurry.

Damn. I should have mentioned that. For me that wasn't a problem as restoration takes what it takes, no schedule and 'no parts' -situation hasn't been a real blocker so far, there has been something else to do all the time.

But I've always got what I've shopped, eventually. Delivery times vary a lot, an order placed just before Christmas took almost 2 months (and an email saying he has been very busy when I asked about it), but the latest came under a week and delivery takes time, too.
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ANY response Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
bullethead wrote:

It's a one man shop and I thing Rüdiger has a day job also, so he's quite overloaded sometimes and it shows as a delay. No problem unless you're in a hurry.

Damn. I should have mentioned that. For me that wasn't a problem as restoration takes what it takes, no schedule and 'no parts' -situation hasn't been a real blocker so far, there has been something else to do all the time.

But I've always got what I've shopped, eventually. Delivery times vary a lot, an order placed just before Christmas took almost 2 months (and an email saying he has been very busy when I asked about it), but the latest came under a week and delivery takes time, too.

I think it took about 4 months to get my parts to California. That was 10 years ago or so.

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ANY response Reply with quote

reay wrote:
Kharon8 wrote:
bullethead wrote:

I think it took about 4 months to get my parts to California. That was 10 years ago or so.

Great. Was communication as slow as the delivery?

As someone with a dozen old German cars (some with very limited parts sources) I'm used to delays within reason... but we drive our stuff regularly as daily transportation. Kinda sucks there's no way to get him to respond, let alone fulfill an order mach schnell. Wait it will be... Crying or Very sad

'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 60

Jump to: