Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
Thank the air-cooled gods this gentleman has unobtainium for sale.

... for almost unobtainium price too.

But can't complain too much, still cheaper than making those by yourself. And it's a hole I chose to jump voluntarily. Ouch.

Got a phone call that all the small parts are now re-chromed, we'll see what we get in few days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Got a phone call that all the small parts are now re-chromed, we'll see what we get in few days.

Correction, only B-pillars and door handles. But damn, they look like new.

At least the quality is very high, we'll see how long these last. No pics as I took them to garage and forgot to take pics. Maybe next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

We've progressed so far that quarter window is going back and we got new seals for it, but really no idea how the seal goes in.
Basic form is U-seal, but it has a groove on the other side and long lip on the other side.

BobNotch had used a type14 seal which is different, so his pics aren't helping to this problem.

Sorry for no pics about this, I should have taken camera with me. I also sent an email to seller, they should know but no idea when they've time to answer.

Also some other questions:

Are the locking mechanisms in doors same as typ3? As driver side lock is somehow broken from the inside and latch doesn't really work properly. Getting another one from spare part T3 shouldn't be to hard.

Hood lock button also has a seal, but ISP West is asking $20 for one, the remains of the old one more or less look like an o-ring so one should do the job. Any objections?

Last edited by Kharon8 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon--not sure what's going on, but I can't respond to you via PM through the Samba.

Martin Hoontrakul is making the Type 34 Hook Deflectors through Shapeways. He's done a number of other products, as well. Check them all out here:

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=Type+34

Thanks for the link to your restoration page. There's some VERY NICE work being done, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
Kharon--not sure what's going on, but I can't respond to you via PM through the Samba.

Martin Hoontrakul is making the Type 34 Hook Deflectors through Shapeways. He's done a number of other products, as well. Check them all out here:

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=Type+34

Thanks for the link to your restoration page. There's some VERY NICE work being done, in my opinion.

No worries, this is as good as PM and Martin has useful parts so better make the URL public anyway.

But thanks for the compliments! Smile And the URL, that looks exactly what I was looking for.

We've tried not to make too many short cuts ... or at least hide them so well no-one will see them.

Floor carpets are currently biggest missing part, but we do know two sources for those (UK and US), so just ordering is needed.

Engine is still in pieces, but all sheet metal pieces are painted and it just waits assembly. Heat exhangers are quite bad, we'll try to source better ones locally: Here in North working heater is really needed even in summer.

Electrics still need work and other small items.

Not much (or almost nothing really) happened during the summer season, but it ended last weekend when I packed VWs (typ14 & 412) & motorbike into garage and closed the door.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Had some time yesterday so I fixed bunch of weird electric problems.

Front right parking light wasn't working as the small copper spring which does provide the ground contact to bulb was a bit of out of shape and did't reach to bulb, barely visible gap.

Took some time and bunch of resistance/voltage measurements to find as it was looking OK. It wasn't.

Other register plate light wasn't burning and missing ground contact was found fast, but cleaning contact point didn't help at all. What the heck?

The seal was so hard (*clink* -hard) that it didn't give at all and so the contact pin didn't reach to bumper when you tightened the screws. Hah!

Cut most of the seal between light frame and bumper away, so now it works and rock hard seal doesn't seal much anyway, better try to find new seals.

Then the real mystery: Speedo & clock background lights.

~6V comes to lamp, no lights. OK, quick measurements show that no ground. What the heck, take 2.

This caused a lot of pondering as there's zero grounding points visible for those and eventually we deduced that the backside of instrument panel doesn't have paint from the factory, so the gauge attachment band has had double function as grounding point.

We of course painted that part also so no ground. Fixed that with separare grounding wire and now we've lights in gauges, nice. Those are very, very dim and really can't be seen in normal room lighting at all. Probably work when it's dark, but at least the bulbs are lighted.
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

After seeing the horrible amount of rust on other cars, I made sure my body shop sealed/primed/painted everything, inside and out. I've had the same problem as you with grounding points for the dash lights and wiper motor ground. I had problems installing the fog lights because there was too much paint on the outer lip of the bucket. Grounds for the front turn signal housings were another problem area.

We are 'over-restoring' our cars! Very Happy

356 license plate light seals work OK for our cars. There are two seals:

Base Gasket:
http://www.nlaparts.com/store/license-light-base-gasket-p-1624.html

Lens Gasket:
http://www.nlaparts.com/store/license-light-lens-gasket-p-1909.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
After seeing the horrible amount of rust on other cars, I made sure my body shop sealed/primed/painted everything, inside and out. I've had the same problem as you with grounding points for the dash lights and wiper motor ground. I had problems installing the fog lights because there was too much paint on the outer lip of the bucket. Grounds for the front turn signal housings were another problem area.

We are 'over-restoring' our cars! Very Happy

356 license plate light seals work OK for our cars. There are two seals:

Base Gasket:
http://www.nlaparts.com/store/license-light-base-gasket-p-1624.html

Lens Gasket:
http://www.nlaparts.com/store/license-light-lens-gasket-p-1909.html

Yup, I ran into all of that myself. I know I over restored my own T-34 too. It's just normal when you see them trying to rust away when you first get them (I did anyway). Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
I had problems installing the fog lights because there was too much paint on the outer lip of the bucket.

I've been struggling with the same thing this week! The fog lights are a tight fit in the best of circumstances, but with a thick layer of paint they're impossible to install. It was killing me to have to scrape off the new paint from the inner rim of the fog light buckets, but it was the only way it was going to happen.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, so it was what I thought it was: Over-restored backside of the panel. Well, nothing major.

And yes, the problem with fog lights is familiar also, very tight fit.

Did some work in Monday and fixed brake lights (grounding problem between bulb and frame, nothing major), connected wiper motor (it works and even stops at rest position, nice) and cigarette lighter (said grounding problem for it too, separate ground wire fixed that).

Almost all electric parts are now connected sans side blinkers (the small plastic/copper part between wire end and bulb has been lost and AFAIK is not sold separately) and interior light (forgot to cut hole to roof canvas at installation and now it doesn't have a place).

Horn wasn't working at all, totally oxidized breaker points, but disassembly, cleaning and assembly helped and now it works. Made a page from previous round (with type14 horns but same horn):
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/horns/

We've only one horn so I'll have to look for another. The one we have is marked 'hoch', so low tone horn is missing.

Base engine is now assembled and some of the accessories are connected so it also progresses.

Better start early in the winter so there's less panic in the spring ... somehow the time from January to May is much shorter than time from August to December when you ought to have everything done by start of May.
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Stupid question
1965 T34 converted to 12V by PO
How do I know if the wiper motor is 6V or 12V?

Thanks,
Chuck
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Chuck67 wrote:
Stupid question

Thanks,
Chuck

Non scientific method, try it with 12V if it starts keeping sounds that millennium falcon does before light speed then most likely it is 6V. Fast try will not break the motor.

If it is nice and slow with 12V then it is indeed 12V.

Parts number also tells if it is 6V/12V
-73 411 variant all metal custom
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-89 vanagon camper conversion matkaaja
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

tanhis wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:
Stupid question

Thanks,
Chuck

Non scientific method, try it with 12V if it starts keeping sounds that millennium falcon does before light speed then most likely it is 6V. Fast try will not break the motor.

Runs nice and slow so must be 12V

Thanks!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Chuck67 wrote:
tanhis wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:
Stupid question

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks!

Probably the wiper shafts have tried to rust to the bushings. The fix is to disconnect the battery, and pull the wiper assembly, then take it apart and clean and grease the wiper arm shafts. Then reassemble.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:
tanhis wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:
Stupid question

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks!

Probably the wiper shafts have tried to rust to the bushings. The fix is to disconnect the battery, and pull the wiper assembly, then take it apart and clean and grease the wiper arm shafts. Then reassemble.

Take the seats out first. How are your yoga skills?

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

reay wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:
tanhis wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:
Stupid question

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks!

Take the seats out first. How are your yoga skills?

Good point, but at least the T-34 seats sit closer to the floor. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Anyone using a hidden type stereo? If so how do you like it?
Which one do you have?

Thanks,
Chuck
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Chuck67 wrote:
Anyone using a hidden type stereo? If so how do you like it?
Which one do you have?

Thanks,
Chuck

Not in T34 but yes. Hidden in glovebox, works OK as the car is too noisy to listen radio/CD while driving anyway.

Radio itself is old Panasonic with CD, don't remember the model.
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:

Not in T34 but yes. Hidden in glovebox, works OK as the car is too noisy to listen radio/CD while driving anyway.

Went with an Alpine 300 watts 4 channel digital amp, 2 kicker 6x9's in small boxes and an Install Bay Bluetooth receiver. System connects to my phone within seconds and as soon as music starts (phone, Pandora, Spotify, etc) amp remote powers on and sounds awesome.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Link

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 60

Jump to: