Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this do that? Fuel filter and shut off valve
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bignut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: What's this do that? Fuel filter and shut off valve Reply with quote

hi guys,

is this a fuel filter of some sort and what is the level for? fuel shut off valve?

i am working on a 54, put some gas after changing the fuel lines and it started to leak, can't read german so i can't tell what the level says, turning it does nothing and the leak continues. someone tell me what this is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bignut on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a combination fuel filter and a fuel shutoff valve with a reserve. The valve handle has 3 positions
A or AUF which is ON
Z or ZU which is OFF
R which is for RESERVE
Its leaking because its seals have dried out and/or are damaged. You can get parts to rebuild it from the various appropriate vendors.
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what it looks like to me too.clean the filter, no tellen what you will find in there.might want to sorce a new seals&fliter before taking it appart.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your fuel valve is not shutting off correctly you will need to drain the tank before disassembling. Here is a link link to Stoddard parts page with diagram. Other venders most likely sell these also.

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=50&cat=Fuel+Cocks+and+Senders
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Phots first text at the end.

The kit I bought from Stoddard has worked well for 4 years. Mine leaked its the cork gasket inside the petcock unit. To get inside you need to drain the tank, using a length of rubber petrol pipe. Turn the valve to off place the pipe on the petcocks delivery tube and straight into a petrol can on the floor ourside the car. Turn on and it will drain but takes a while!

Then remove the petcock with the spanner and then you need to compress it in the vice. Get 2 suitable 'sockets' see photo and close the vice slowly. The spring inside will compress and you can get the 'snap ring' out of the groove with a small screw driver see photo.

Then the parts can be removed take a note of orientation or photo them.
The innner part has a tang to get it in the correct position. When you see the cork gasket it will probably be like mine 50 odd years old hard and cracked. Get it out, clean everything and put a new one in and all items back. Re-install.

The small diameter rubber piece in the last photo needs to go in the turn off handle. A split pin at the top stops upward movement and the end split pin secures the petcock. The rubber part acts like a buffer. I think!!

You can buy a new petcock but have fun and take the old one apart. Sorry if the post is a bit dis-jointed I had some problems with the photos doing this.

Hope it works.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Roy. Make sure you have a can or cans large enough to drain all your fuel. Nothing like trying to drain 6 gallons into a five gallon can. Even after draining there may be a little left when you remove the shutoff from the tank so have some rags & a small catch can ready.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle

Last edited by MMW on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're there, make sure to pull the little screen that covers the pickup tubes in the tank and clean it....especially if the tank has been empty for a while.
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bignut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, wasn't expecting such great response, thank you everyone.

looking at the fuel lines, i can only imagine what the inside of the petcock will be like.

roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I forgot to say ( although you probably know ) the petcock has two delivery pipes. When you drain the tank put the valve lever on the 'Reserve' position. And as said above by mich it's true a small residue of fuel will be left in the tank to get out by hand before removing the petcock.

Your petrol pipe certainly was in a bad state. I bought a length ofn fuel pipe must have been about a metre long or so, from Stoddard when I bought the repair kit.

Roy
FrannyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

If you don't want to futz with it too much, you can buy a replica replacement of the entire petcock. The rebuild kit doesn't have all the gaskets needed... If the outlet is leaking, the kit doesn't have the gasket for that. Also, the two fiber gaskets that seals the cock to the tank may need to be carefully trimmed so they sits correctly and dont warp the filter lip. When you do finally install the cock, don't over tighten the nut. It will probably weep a little and then cinch it up as need be to stop any leaks. Those fiber gaskets really need to be wet to seal properly. If all goes well, you will have no leaks or smell in the cabin.

Good luck,

Franny
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this do that? Fuel filter and shut off valve Reply with quote

An friend of mine has a 65 356 SC coupe that is at an upholstery shop having some work done when he received a call that his car wouldn’t start. I went and looked at it and realized that no fuel was making it to the carbs. He has a electric Holley fuel pump in the engine bay that even though we could hear it running was not pumping fuel. We replaced it with a new pump and still no fuel. Since I’m a VW aircooled person I disconnected the line going into the fuel pump and attempted to blow the line clear back to the tank(tank cap off). I also tried sucking with no success. It appeals to be clogged or something since I couldn’t get any movement of air back to the tank even though I have done this many times in my aircooled VWs.
Long story short we have ordered a new filter that mounts(appears to be screwed into) to the bottom of the tank. My questions are:
*is there a check valve that prevents backflow to the tank?
*is there another filter under the car I’m not aware of?
*if l loosen the wing nut on the bottom of the filter can I open it up to see if it’s
clogged?
*what am I missing or other possibilities of no fuel to engine bay?

According to the owner, a new fuel tank was installed approximately 2 years ago and the filter looks pretty clean from what I could see. Taking my jackstands, tools and new filter to the upholstery shop in the morning and take another crack at it.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this do that? Fuel filter and shut off valve Reply with quote

After doing some online research I have a suspicion that one of the techs at the upholstery shop may have switched the fuel reserve switch to the off position. This would explain why after moving the car around the shop under power it suddenly quit running and they were unable to restart it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: