Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74...ish Dune Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
For gauges, what have you seen with your Beetle?

When I first built the car I watched the gauges constantly. After getting to know the car I'll be honest that I don't watch them nearly as much as I used to.

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Any time they saved the engine?

The first summer I drove the car, the head temp told me to play with the timing. After that, smooth sailing.

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Any time they foretold the shape it is in to need a rebuild?

Never drove it before the engine I built for it.

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Did they indicate to you to ease off the loud peddle?

How much more can one really ease up off the loud peddle on a 1641? Laughing It's fun enough, but it's no hot rod... not really my driving style anyhow. I like cruising and I like reliability. Never did really take it on any big road trips though. I remember talking to a few people at the ECVW stop in Alexandria about my plans for my buggy with the common reply of "if you really drive it a long distance you're going to want a bigger engine". Rolling Eyes I wouldn't be surprised if that happens one day. Hmm... maybe I should just plan on a few "worry gauges". Think

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

On the ECVW '14 trip, Chris ran a 1600 and stayed right with us. Only maybe once or twice did he fall a little back, but no more than about a 1/8 mile.

If you are pulling a hill, for a long distance, WOT, the engine can slowly heat. You may see the head temp rise, Oil pressure drop. Backing off a little, or even dropping a gear will cool the heads and bring the OilP back up, but will heat the Oil just a tad.

As big as my engine is, my buggy is heavier than the engine is powerful. Rolling to CA, I roll about 3000 pounds. To stay with the pack, I have to run WOT a lot. Watching my gauges allows me to back off a little to save the engine.

If you are going to trip this buggy, (and I think you mentioned moving to CO this year), some worry gauges just may help you.

BTW, a 1641, 4.12 ring and pinion trans, and about a 27 inch tall tire will travel very nicely across the US.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

On ECVW '14, we ran a stock 1600 also in Kermit. We didnt have any issues (except an EMPI fuel pump) and motivated well. We didnt have a problem even with a July desert crossing at 110+ deg F.

We have since upgraded the top end to a 1700 setup and I notice more power , especially on the hills. Still, he isnt a Ferrari, but he keeps up nicely on the interstate.

Go with what your budget and youre comfortable with and drive it like ya stole it!

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Brake lines done. Went a little long with one but it'll be under the car, I guess. It was nice to finally start adding some new fluids to this thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next came the pedals. I did need to bleed the newly finished brake system anyhow. I wanted to clean them up first but I also wasn't happy that I didn't modify them in any way yet. It's subtle, but I couldn't let one piece go unmodified. Rolling Eyes

And then it happened... it's now a roller!

My shop got a little cleaned up, rearranged some, and then things got a bit flipped upside down for more finishing.

Right now the plan is to leave the body alone. I've made the decision to let things stay with some patina... at least until I have the time to really do it nice. We've made a bigger decision to put the house up for sale soon. Time to get this thing as done as I can! FAST!!!

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Been a little distracted lately, but things are still moving forward. Cage has been painted and is currently just sitting on the finished chassis. Waiting on some parts to come in before putting the trans back in. I was going to take some pictures of my own, but there are some of the buggy found here...

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9344-State-Highway-29-N-Alexandria-MN-56308/106648001_zpid/

Yup! The ball is rolling to get out of Minnesota! That means I need to get this thing done!!!

I like to build stuff...
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

neohic wrote:
...I need to get this thing done!!!

Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

There's been a few changes since the last update. Pretty much everything is painted, back together, new parts added, and it's looking like a car again.

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Okay... so... I've got a Rebel harness on order and I'm wondering what others are using for headlight and hazard switches. I don't have anything for switches from the donor Beetle, but I'm not sure if I really like the look of stock switches anyhow. Right now I'm thinking about just using some simple dot rocker switches like these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Support-Car-Round-Toggle-S...switch+dot

I like these for their simplicity. I figure I could use the orange for parking lights, blue for head lights, red for hazards, and green for a 12V outlet. Any reason they wouldn't work? I typically don't have any problems with electrical work, but this little buggy is turning into a lot of "firsts". This time being wiring a non stock vehicle. I completely rewired my '72 Beetle years ago, but that was a completely plug and play replacement. Anyhow... thoughts?

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I like the looks, a lot. And different than most anyone else.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but here is what I see. For $ 3.89 shipped each, I am sure you will get exactly what you pay for. They will not carry any amp load if direct wired, so, each switch will have to trip a relay to carry the load. So, you're going to have cheap switches running a bank of relays. Around town, I would consider taking the chance. But out on the road, I would not want a $4.00 item controling an important system to possibly give me trouble.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

What do you run for switches, Joe?

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I have run a bunch of different stuff. I tend to get switches rated to directly carry the amp lod needed so I do not have to have a extra relay, keeping it bare bones simple. I have run Stock VW, remove the stock knob and put billet knobs on them. I have helped build one that runs Ron Frances switches. I have used Aircraft Dead Man switches that are rated for 30 AMP, (toggle with the switch cover to turn it off). I have run some generic switches from a FLAPS. I have run momentary push buttons for horns.

On my Manx I have stock switches with Ivory knobs, three dead man toggles and the seat heaters have the tiny round switches similar to those you posted and they trip a relay that carries the current for the heater, (but if they fail, the buggy is still safe to run, I just get colder).

neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm okay with running relays if it means that I can keep things looking clean, I guess. Think I already have the image of what I want my dash to look like in my head and I'm having a tough time finding something else that I like. We'll see?... might change.

Any other suggestions?

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Then make that look happen. Cruise some electronic supply sites and see what they may have in a very similar switch with possibly better quality. Buy good quality relays too. Over-spec the relay amp rating and they will last a lot longer.

Don't change the outcome, better the system. Bruce built the buggy with a Function Follows Form mindset.

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of these round aluminum bezel LED lighted switches for my rail. I haven't done the wiring to install them yet, but I know daanbc has used the same type in his buggy with good success. I plan on running relays for everything so these switches will just be used as triggers. The outer bezel body, threads and nuts are aluminum and the printed buttons are plastic so the LED's can shine through.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=12V+BLUE+LED...2749.l2658

This Ebay seller carries a lot of different types of switches as well. http://www.ebay.com/usr/switch-it-on-now?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 Poke around his Ebay store and see if there are any that you might like better than those plain black plastic ones. Just keep an eve on the diameter on the switches. They have a few different sizes (16mm and 19mm being the most common) of the same switches available, so the pics can sometimes be misleading. Also the same switches can usually be had in either momentary or push on-push off types as well.

Here's a little bit more generic of a search that should give you even more options to consider.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trks...p;_sacat=0
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Cole Hersee makes some high quality headlight switches. I use them for high load applications like halogen spreader lights on my boat. They make automotive specific stuff too. Here's one example with built-in circuit protection that would make a good headlight switch, but their website shows many others.

http://m.littelfuse.com/products/switches/push-pul.../5050.aspx
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent suggestions! Very Happy I found a set of nice switches locally, but they still needed to be ordered. They look just like the ones I posted earlier, but the quality is nice. I'm going to have to run relays, but that's not a big deal to me. I already run relay harnesses on my Jeeps and it makes a big difference in headlight brightness.

We had a showing on the house today, so I didn't get a whole lot done. I took a page from "Joe's Big Book of Buggy Building" and got myself a quart of Red-Kote. Really good stuff!... stinky though. I made up the upper mounting tabs on the tank and finished the welding, then put the tank outside to vent as to not get remarks on the house like "smells like paint" or "made my husband high". Rolling Eyes

Looks like strawberry syrup!... smells like chemicals. I had a little time to kill before we had to get out of the house so I turned my attention to the dash. It'll get wrapped in black vinyl when it's done, but this is what I'm thinking right now...

Overall, I like it. It's the same shape as what was there, but here's my issue with it...

... notice it? From my view, I only see from about 35 mph to 80.

I suppose about 30 to 70 is really the important range to keep an eye on, and the fuel gauge is completely visible too which is nice. Obviously those blue dots are place holders for other gauges. It'll be a temperature gauge and an oil pressure. Trying to find a nice set of gauges that sorta match either the speedometer or the tachometer is proving to be difficult. Apparently Sunpro is no more... which is a real bummer. I like the classic look of that tach and I was hoping to keep that going. We'll shall see.

In other news, my harness came! Very cool to see everything labeled and easy to follow.

I'll make up a filler panel between the bottom of the hood and the top of the front bulkhead to serve as a place to mount the fuse block and to just fill the gap. There's about 4" of open space up there.

Getting closer...

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I run the same steering wheel and have the same blocking problem. So, I turned the wheel slightly. Having the wheel not straight does bother my OCD, but since I also have ADD, it does not bother me for long.

Nice work! Keep picking off the tasks and it will get done.

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Those steering wheel spokes aren't very wide, so it doesn't look like you'd be able to improve your gauge visibility by switching to an aftermarket wheel. Most of the spokes on the aftermarket wheels I looked at have wider spokes than your present wheel. The only thing that might make a difference is the different spoke layouts available. You might be able to find one with a better view. However, I think that would be an expensive proposition to keep buying and returning wheels until you find one that would give a better view of your gauges. Stick with what you got and tilt it like Joe suggests if it bugs you. IMHO it looks like a low priority gripe that can probably just be left as is until you get settled into your new place. Besides, I'd be more focused on getting that wiring in place now that you've finally received it. Cool
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Hmm... progress. Very Happy I've really liked how every buggy has this goofy gap between the hood and the front bulkhead. Here's my fix...

... I'm using it threefold. It's a mount for my fuse block, a filler panel, and it'll be grounded to the chassis so it can be used as a ground bus as well. I put a couple coats of paint on it and in the meantime I finished my windshield assembly. New glass was cut locally.

The headlight buckets got put back together too. More black with a touch of chrome... recurring theme?

The fuel tank got a coat of the same black paint and things really started getting real!

Makes for a nice, cozy spot for the things. It'll get a gasket along the top of the filler panel too.

More tomorrow.

I like to build stuff...
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

neohic wrote:
It'll get a gasket along the top of the filler panel too.

I was hoping you were going to say something like that. That thin edge would look like a saw blade to the underside of the FG hood after a short while of driving it. A good thick rubber gasket should keep that from happening.

Your progress is looking great BTW! Are you going to be able to get it running before the big move?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: