Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify Engine bolt
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have toyed with the idea of drilling right through the other side of the block and then using a longer bolt and a nut. You would have to build up the area with JB Weld to create a flat surface for the nut to tighten against, but that would be easy enough to do. Don't know why VW built the engine this way to start with and why they never corrected their error. This easily correctable flaw persisted for the 15 year run of the T4 engine???
jdledingham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it. it is actually 13mmand directly above the strainer. I found this semi strpped bolt behind some permatex. It wasnt completly stripped until I got ahold of it.

I am not familiar with type 2 engines. I also noticed the previous owners have a bolt that runs down through the strainer and protrudes past the cover plate by about 1cm, definatly does not look like a stock vw setup.

Any insight? should I just start looking for a new case or longblock?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have more of a problem than you think. If it is a longish 8mm bolt (13mm head size) that runs across the block directly above the oil pickup screen, you may well have cracked the block by over tightening the nut the holes the pickup screen cover on. This may require having your engine torn down and having the block either welded up or replaced.

There are several threads on this on the Baywindow Forum.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like one of the main bolts.
Try asking the bay window guys since your year runs in their area of expertise.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
jdledingham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Identify Engine bolt Reply with quote

This is my fist post. I have 4 books on the engine I am working on and have searched the web. In parts blowout pictures the bolt I am looking at is omitted.

Anyway:

I have a stripped bolt that is stuck it is on a type 2 2L '77 engine. It is resessed between two of the push rod tubes. Size 14mm.

Can someone tell me what this is for, and have any suggestions?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: