Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1938 vw pins, kdf stamps, 1936 youth knife
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bob,

Looking forward to seeing it !!

I might have seen it in your display cabinet at the show but was not aware of its rareness and didn't take more time to look and drool Wink

Thanks . . . BoB

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
OK Bob,

Looking forward to seeing it !!

I might have seen it in your display cabinet at the show but was not aware of its rareness and didn't take more time to look and drool Wink

Thanks . . . BoB

The program was set up to require 5 completed books to purchase a car. What the pictures show, is book number 5 complete with it's required insurance stamps. Book #5 is the deal breaker; without it................and its insurance stamps, you did not complete the requirements. Insurance stamps were only issued when the total number of stamps and cards were complete. If I were just buying saver stamps, I would suggest you look for the cancelled "red" ones and try to find some insurance stamps to go along with them. If I were buying books.............I'd look for the #5 book.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this is the card #5 and the red stamps calculate to the remainding 190RM (990RM KdF Wagen and 200RM Insurance).

Then there is 60RM in those 4RM brown stamps.

There is a space on the back of the card for the Sonderausführungen & Transportskosten 4RM stamps.

Since there was no transportation actually offered meaning you had to pick up you KdF Wagen yourself at the factory.

The only other thing was Sonderausführungen (something extra) and the only extra thing available would be a sunroof at 60RM.

Take a look at the #4 card in this photo. The owner ordered a sunroof and the Sonderausführungen of 60RM is added to the bill.

He actually paid 20RM on card #2 and #3 towards the Sonderausführungen.

In the case of your card, there is no Sonderausführungen listed and since transportation was not offered, I believe your card holder ordered a sunroof at the last moment when paying full on this card #5. Therefore the additional 60RM.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect assessment Bob. Cool

I purchased the card from the son of the original owner. It thankfully was not redeemed. I know the family was well off, and it seems VW's were no longer their "style" during the redemption timeframe.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info....
So what is the deal with the red and blue savings cards?
It looks like there is more info on the red books. Is the red book the fifth and final book, and the 4 previous books blue?
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day we still do not know why there were both red and green stamps as well as the blue and red cards. They were all used during the same time period. Some of the Sparkarte books had both the red and green stamps pasted in them. Also the Sonderausführungen of 60RM for the sunroof was sometimes paid for with the red or green 5RM stamps instead of the 4RM brown stamps. I have not seen a blue card with the 4RM brown stamps.

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
To this day we still do not know why there were both red and green stamps as well as the blue and red cards. They were all used during the same time period. Some of the Sparkarte books had both the red and green stamps pasted in them. Also the Sonderausführungen of 60RM for the sunroof was sometimes paid for with the red or green 5RM stamps instead of the 4RM brown stamps. I have not seen a blue card with the 4RM brown stamps.

I have not seen any 1930's date cancelled green stamps or blue cards. Bob is correct about them being used at the same time, but it is my understanding that the red cards and red stamps pre-dated the the green stamps and blue cards. I have seen a few blue cards with red stamps but not green stamps cancelled before 1940 in red cards, but these things are fairly rare and we need to see more examples before we can agree to that possible conclusion. If anyone has any other examples or information, please include it in this discussion. The history of the VW KDF program is very limited with regard to the scholarship on these cards. Maybe we can make some other deductions with more examples. Let's see what you've got. Wink
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bob with what you have observed. Good Info !! If other owners of KdF Savers cards would post photos of their cards for reference, that would be GREAT Exclamation

Also, when the saver bought a weekly stamp (minumum but you could buy as many as you wanted) they were sometines given a receipt but not always.

Here is a rare receipt I have dated May 15, 1939 in which a saver bought 3 KdF stamps for weeks May1, May 8 and May 15 . . . .

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the value of those green KdF Wagen stamps are coming down Question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360471006934

bigdish2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
Perhaps the value of those green KdF Wagen stamps are coming down Question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360471006934

That's the cheapest I have ever seen one sell for.

In the stash

1954 & 63 Vert
1956 Dove blue camper
(2) 1958 23w deluxes
1958 PGSG 11w og paint
1958 logo dd panel
1959 dove blue 11w
(5) 15w deluxes
(2) 1960,63,65 double cabs
1963 swr/bg 11w og paint
1964 limo bus 350 powered
1964 SO36 Dormobile flipseat Westy
1966 (2) so42’s og paint
1969 (2) porsche 912s
1969 dart swinger 340
(3) Porsche 911s sunroof,targa,cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdf-wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My examination concerning the yellow and blue cards: The date on the yellow cards means: the date the card was given to the saver. On the blue cards the date means: the date when contract was signed.But if you look on the date of the stamps or other hints on the blue cards, the change from yellow with red stamps to blue with green stamps happened at the end of 1941 orbeginning of 1942. I know two yellow cards with red and green stamps. I haven´t seen any blue one with red stamps, but this would be possible if the saver has some of the red on stock before he got a blue card. Recently I found a newsletter that contains some interesting infos why they have changed the Sparkarten. The newsletter describes that from the 1st of january 1942 on the organisation changes. Almost all tasks are transfered from the smaller "Kreis" to the larger "Gau". They made that because of the limitation of staff because of the ongoing war. The blue cards have a field for the seal of the Gau and my yellow ones have field for the name and the seal of the Kreis. They had to change the cards and changed the color as well.    Another new interesting aspect: new application forms had to be filled with an additional phrase stating that the 1RM fee is already paid (with the seal and signature of the officer in charge). That's why there is no blue card with the small 1 RM stamp. Frank
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stamps on stock" seems to be an issue. It is my understanding that when the stamps were purchased, you got a receipt, and the stamps were put in the book and date cancelled at that time. You did not get the stamps unless you had the book. Stamps were not taken home and placed in books by the buyer at a later date. You retained the receipt but not the stamps. Therefore, your concern about "stamps on stock" could not have referred to the buyer. It is possible, I suppose, the the selling agent may have had "earlier" stamps left over, but we are dealing with a government agency and not a private business here. I doubt SERIOUSLY that old stamps were recycled into the new books. In fact, I believe the Reich changed the system to help prevent possible counterfeiting at the Gau level. That is why you "never" see the later stamps in early books IMO. I do not purchase books with books that are not correctly cancelled, because most serious collectors consider them faked. Books of this nature show up at local gun shows or antique fairs on a regular basis, but is unlikely to find a correctly "cancelled" book outside of collecting community, at least here in the States.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank and Bob for your information.

Quote:
It is my understanding that when the stamps were purchased, you got a receipt, and the stamps were put in the book and date cancelled at that time. You did not get the stamps unless you had the book.

It is my understanding that when the stamps were purhased, there was not always a receipt given and the stamps were placed in the book at that time.

I have seen too many original books with the stamps not being cancelled so books with uncancelled stamps do not make them counterfeit IMO.

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
Thanks Frank and Bob for your information.

Quote:
It is my understanding that when the stamps were purchased, you got a receipt, and the stamps were put in the book and date cancelled at that time. You did not get the stamps unless you had the book.

It is my understanding that when the stamps were purhased, there was not always a receipt given and the stamps were placed in the book at that time.

I have seen too many original books with the stamps not being cancelled so books with uncancelled stamps do not make them counterfeit IMO.

The books are not fake...........the stamps are not fake............the processes what is faked. Books were stamped, when stamps were purchased. I have seen many books with different stamp dates on the cancelled stamps but all the stamps WERE cancelled. Non cancelled stamps in unstamped books are not as "collectable" for obvious reasons. You cannot prove the validity of the number of stamps issued to that particular book. I too, have seen many books without cancelled stamps...................... I just do not buy them. Cancellation is a validation. There would have been no cancellation, on the stamps in any book, had that not been required for validation. I see books without cancelled stamps the way I see a clipped sunroof on a split. Is it an 11g or an 11c? Wink That's my take.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bob,

I understand and appreciate your point.

For me is does not matter if the stamps are cancelled or not.

Just the fact alone that the stamp was purchased and pasted in the book is good enough for me.

Sometines the cancellation can get carried away and take away from the cool design of the stamp itself. Exclamation

Either way, these books cancelled or not are rare, historical and collectable.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

Okay here are a few photos of my KDF stamp savings booklet. This is #4 of the series for an Engineer from Graz, Austria. I wonder what that street address looked like back in 1945, or what it looks like today?

Here are the stamps with the dates hand-written on each of them.

Here is a close-up of the oldest dated stamp in this fourth booklet...

...and the newest/last dated stamp in this booklet.

Man! That was getting close to the end of WWII!

So, any thoughts about this one. For insurance purposes, what value should I cover it for? This literature is not for sale. I'm just curious about what it's replacement value would be today...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 vw pins, kdf stamps, 1936 youth knife Reply with quote

Bump... anyone have an idea on the current value (Insurance value) of a KDF card like the one in my photos above?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 vw pins, kdf stamps, 1936 youth knife Reply with quote

Hi all,

The only reason I asked about the insurance value of the above is that last Summer I brought two items to a taping of the popular PBS show "Antiques Roadshow" down in Little Rock, AR (July 2015). One of them was the KDF Stamp Savers card seen above. I thought I might try to stump the PBS Roadshow appraisers with something that they probably haven't seen or knew how to appraise.

Sure enough, the appraiser had never seen one or knew about them. She searched her tablet for recent sales or comparables, and could only find a sale of one individual stamp for about $80. She had no idea how to appraise a full book (she thought it might bring a minimum of $600, and I ended up telling her a brief history of the card and how the program worked.

Yep, I stumped the appraiser! Now she is more ready for any of you who make it to a taping of the PBS "Antiques Roadshow" with your treasured KDF Stamp Savers Card.

So, any guesses how much one might be worth (again, for insurance purposes, I'm not selling mine ever!)?

Bill Bowman

p.s. Back in 2012 at another taping of the show down in Corpus Christi, TX, I was asked to have my appraisal of another item filmed for a segment in the show. If you'd like to check out that 3:20 minute clip from the show, go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnm1QzbMgDk

and enjoy my 3:20 minutes of fame on the "Roadshow".

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
bibon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 vw pins, kdf stamps, 1936 youth knife Reply with quote

53 0val - you have posted a picture of the card with 4RM stamps for shipment and options. This stamp is very rare! Can't find its clear image anywere, nor anywhere for sale. Could you post a crips image of it? Thanks!
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 vw pins, kdf stamps, 1936 youth knife Reply with quote

Maybe the best place to post this

Locker or tool tag

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: