Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Port a wall on Smart car tire
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Port a wall on Smart car tire Reply with quote

ok, I've run port a walls but never on a smart car tire

My car isn't that low to begin with, but 165r15 is too big. I'm considering 165/60/15, 145/65/15 and 155/60/15 for the front. Probably the 155. Has anyone tried the Kumho's yet? better or worse rim saver than the conti's?
I purchased some Atlas port a walls. I have seen some people allude to cutting the rim saver to make them lay right. Any pics? What did you do? what did you use. Thanks in advance
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump. Found some other threads, but wondering about the rim saver on the kumho. Don't want to order them and they turn out worse than the conti's
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik, I have seen a couple guys cut those rim savers out. Personally, I believe it is there for a reason. Tires are too expensive to cut them up to fit a plastic insert in them. I would NOT use anything less than the 165/60 for an insert. I tried them in the past on a 145/65 as well as 155/60. Both had issues. The biggest problem when fitting inserts is width. If there is not enough meat to push, the inserts look terrible and will self destruct in no time. Tires do stretch to seat a rim, but stock 4" is not enough with inserts. 165/60 is just right and barely gives enough sidewall diameter to seat a 2" insert.

As for quality, I would assume they are similar. I go through a lot of tires and suspension setups. I use what works. I personally do not like Kumho tires. Used to use them a lot. There are better tires now. The Contis are hard to beat. I strongly doubt Kumho has improved; probably just jumped on the Smart car bandwagon in hopes of instant success= which is fine. Continental kind of has a monopoly in the United States.
blackp5ca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run the porta-walls on a set of Conti smarts up front..you'll need to spend a little time with a dremel to grind the lip saver off...don't worry, there is lots of rubber "meat" there, just take your time.
If I were to do it again..i would run the porta-walls on some 135's. Little more sidewall, the inserts on the low profile of the 145/65's looks a little goofy to me..not enough black sidewall showing (but thats just my opinion)
Cheers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I am going to try the 165/60/15's. I will never go back to 135's, they literally almost killed me in my youth
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: