Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which body dolly is best? (pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred69vert wrote:
66vwkaferresto wrote:
Even if it goes on dirt there is a solution... below is a link to Harbor Frieght and the 10" pneumatic caster they offer. Just shorten the upright 4x4's to adjust for the added height of the wheel and you are set.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-swivel-caster-38944.html

Good luck!

Just a note.....if your get these casters, put Slime in the tires. If you don't they WILL leak down (mine did) and you can't roll the dolly with flat tires.

...and, when they lose air- be very cautious of debeading when spinning around. We had this happen with a bus set on four HF pneumatic casters. We had to replace them with 6" diam. solid castors- should have done it all along. They still roll off road.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Starkey58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all does anyone have plans on the larger design? Or could let me know sizes
toms64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Starkey58, I see the link to the large one on page one is no longer usefull but you can try using the term "body dollies" in the search forum that should get you a lot of hits. Im planning to build one eventually probably the large one......good luck!!
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dolly

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was worried I wouldn't have enough height for the shell to go over the chassis, as my garage isn't super high. Probably would have been fine.
As far as plans, I copied what people here had done before and just made it to fit my car. My 2cents, if you need to replace the channels, build a rotisserie. I need to replace/fix the rear body mounts and clean up the front mounts first, this is what I used the dolly for.

No way I was going to be lying on my back drilling out 300 spot welds!

makes a hard job much easier.

Cool
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the new link for 66vwkaferresto's body dolly. I used this for the basis of mine a few years ago.

https://66vwkaferresto.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/body-cart-construction/
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66vwkaferresto wrote:
I opted for the longer version so that I would have access to my heater channels... I think either will serve your purpose.

Do you have the dimensions or lengths on the pieces here? I'd like to make one just like it, Thanks
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:

Do you have the dimensions or lengths on the pieces here? I'd like to make one just like it, Thanks

See this link for his dimensions and parts list:

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

See this link for his dimensions and parts list:

Thanks bud
ping349n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

I just noticed that the first one in this post is mine! It's the dolly I built for the 66 I built. I still have that dolly (in pieces) but don't need it anymore now that I have a bus to build.
Customalways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

Just built a dolly today using 4"x4"lumber and also used partial board to make the corner braces (the metal ones shown in the picture on this thread are available at home depot but they are about $2 each and you would need 16 of them so the partial board is MUCH cheaper and I think you get more support. Plus you need more than the corner supports so you would be looking at about $40-$45 in the strong tie metal pieces at home depot

I bought the 10" casters from Harbor Freight and like them a lot.
- Five of the 8' 4x4 $ $7.50 each = round up to $40
- 4 casters at $15 each = $60 (you could go much smaller if you are on concrete and in a garage and save about $35 but i needed large wheels)
- 1 sheet of 1/2" partial board @ $10
- 1 box of 3" (or 2.5") coarse thread drywall screws @ $ 7
- 16 5/16" x 1.5" lags @ .50 each = $7
- Total cost @ $160
- Super Super durable and if needed you can always recycle the 4x4 somehow in the yard

Horizontal 4x4 I cut to 66"
Vertical upright I cut to 2'
Lateral (front to back) I left at 8'
cut sixteen 45° braces out of particle board and measured them @ 12"
** I think the working height is perfect since I have channels, Firewall, and cross members to do but vertical uprights could be shortened down to 16" or 12" for someone who wants less height.

I will post pictures tomorrow when it is light out again.
Customalways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

Pictures of recently built dolly

fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

Customalways wrote:
Pictures of recently built dolly

Looks great!
Customalways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

added a bit of an upgrade to my dolly incase anyone reviews this in the future. It is on my build thread (56 Oval First Time for Everything)
13mmSpanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

These all look great but how did you get the body off and onto them in the first place? Is the body light enough for a few blokes to lift it off the chassis and drop it onto the dolly?
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

13mmSpanner wrote:
These all look great but how did you get the body off and onto them in the first place? Is the body light enough for a few blokes to lift it off the chassis and drop it onto the dolly?

Yes, you can remove fenders, decklid, and hood to lighten the body up some too. If you're heater channels seem to be rusty brace the body before removing from the chassis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
13mmSpanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

Once all the doors and fenders, deck lid and bonnet are off, how heavy is the bare chassis? Can 2 people lift it?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

13mmSpanner wrote:
Once all the doors and fenders, deck lid and bonnet are off, how heavy is the bare chassis? Can 2 people lift it?

Still not super light, but Yes....two reasonably strong people can move the bare BODY around. Not with chassis still attached...

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

13mmSpanner wrote:
I am 5' 7" tall and of average strength (probabably on the low side of average.) I have a Ghia convertible mounted on an under-mount rotisserie. I can grab the front or rear bumper mounts, lift the car using mostly my calves, and move it side to side in the garage. Four men of average strength can easily lift the stripped body of any type I by the wheel openings or the bumper mounts.

If you are looking for a one man solution you can use an engine hoist, build a wooded gantry lift, or use eye bolst through 4x4 lumber secured between joists in the shop/garage.

This is the gantry I built to lift the body of my Ghia by myself. I also installed eye bolts in the garace ceiling when I mounted the body to the rotisserie.

...and a measured drawing if needed (2x6 Lumber)

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
13mmSpanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

Thanks, useful stuff
jellydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

Yes, you can remove fenders, decklid, and hood to lighten the body up some too. If you're heater channels seem to be rusty brace the body before removing from the chassis.[/quote]

This is my first entry so I hope I don't screw it up. I'm getting ready to remove the body on my 62 sedan. The heater channel on the drivers side is pretty well roached and I've been thinking about whether I should fashion some kind of supports. I like the idea of a brace. What about welding in a brace between the two door posts? Any other suggestions appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: