Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia curtains
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent feedback and info, and thanks for the pictures dhaavers. As I'm handing this off to a friend who is unfamiliar with Westies, and not having any Vanagons on this island we live on, I'm relying on the Vanagon wiki and the Samba to provide all the information and measurements. Please keep the information and suggestions coming, this is very helpful.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the wiki's measurements, as it stated 1987 Westfalia. They were a true fit. The curtains I made with the
help of a buddys' girlfriend, she has the neccessary sewing skils! I don't think I'll ever need to make another
set. Keeping them closed tight together is done by the velcro sewed on each curtain with its mate on the
ajoining curtain.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through this thread inspires me to make some real curtains for my Bluestar. I cutout the insulated material and attached with rare earth magnets, but they make the inside too dark in the morning. We're talking total blackout curtains. I have to lift a flap to see if its daylight outside. This weekend I left the windshield off so we could see the ocean and get a little light in.

The aluminum foil quality of these don't do anything for the ambiance either.

Looking at the curtains here, I like the look a lot better, and they're stored by just getting tied back. Mine come off and go in the garage when I don't need them.

All right, you guys talked me into it. I'm glad we had this chat. Time to go to Hobby Lobby and look at cloth.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wonder... coming from the BMW world, I was able to source the M colored black material to build seat covers and door cards, etc. is there anyone out there making the grey pattern cloth for curtains? I don't care to spend too much, that's the problem I'm sure Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddies wife made some for my van. They look amazing. She put the some white "black out" material on the side of the curtain that faces the glass. Not only do they look nice from outside the van, but now we can sleep in because with the curtains closed it is pretty dark in there.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I ignorantly bought this set of camper curtains thinking that I'd use them as templates for reproduction as a grey set for my Bluestar. Unfortunately when the box arrived, I just verified that everything in the ebay ad was there and then promptly placed the whole pile on a shelf for the next half decade. Now I'd like to sell them to a camper person, but have no idea whether these are factory or some kind of aftermarket thing. For whatever reason, there are two of the large front window curtains, and they're a slightly lighter shade of brown and made of a thinner fabric than the others.

The general dimensions are a little different than those listed here and also, there's only one curtain with the drapery strip at the top, so I'm really confused about what I have...l'il help?

Here are the pieces in the set:

1 each) 28" x 21" w/drapery strip and velcro strip on side (1)
2 each) 32" x 21" w/tube fold and velcro strip on side (1)
5 each) 28" x 21" w/tube fold and velcro strip on side (1)
2 each) 28" x 23" w/tube fold, snaps and velcro strip on side (2)

2 each) 132" x 28" w/elastic sewn into the top along with snaps (4) and snaps along each side (1)

These are the two very large front curtains.

Here you can sorta see the color/fabric difference between the front curtain and the rest.

Apparently these curtains are designed to be hung via these long elastic cords, but I'm not sure if that's factory Westfalia or not.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang it, Zeitgiest13, I just ordered a tan set. I would have purchased those from you for sure! good luck getting them to someone that needs em.

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gowestys curtians look promising, blackout curtians would be nice but i like stock look.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm adding curtains to my tintop..and will be starting from scratch.
I was thinking the tracks would be nice...but then the snaps and curtain sets from our vendors would be easier
Does anyone have a preference for snaps vs tracks vs wires/rods
.....I like the look of the curtains in place,instead of stored when not used
....and is there a source for the narrow late westy style track?
thanks
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded the Westfalia curtain PDF to my server; if anyone needs it, click here (still need to add Debbie's dimensions for the early vans).

I also dug up my notes from when I made mine. I changed the finished dimensions from Westfalia's; should anyone desire them, here they are:

Kitchen window
Width: 24" (if I did it over, I'd make them 25")
Height: 20-1/4"

Closet window - front
Width: 18" (as opposed to the original 30" -- that was way too much curtain for such a small space, IMO)

Closet window - rear
Width: 27-1/2"

Sliding door window
(Didn't make one... yet)

Rear passenger window - front
Width: 27-1/2"

Rear passenger window - rear
Width: 18" (as opposed to the original 30" -- that was way too much curtain for such a small space, IMO)

Hatch window
Width: 30"
Height: 23-1/4"

Windshield/front doors
(Didn't make one)

All side hems are 1" (as opposed to Westfalia's 1/2") for A) a more uniform look, B) to use magnets instead of snaps, and C) to use magnets to "stick" the "loose" curtain sides to the wall of the van. There are also magnets inside the bottom hems (except for the hatch, obviously)

I used marine-grade vinyl for the straps: I wanted contrasting, but complementary straps, while also being durable... and I was tired of sewing (cut, pop in the snap, screw into van, done). Razz
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:
So I wonder... coming from the BMW world, I was able to source the M colored black material to build seat covers and door cards, etc. is there anyone out there making the grey pattern cloth for curtains? I don't care to spend too much, that's the problem I'm sure Mad

There is a German site that has "some" of them.

The URL escapes me t this moment, but I am sure some one else can advise.

Be ready to Break My Wallet for that material....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
alijonny wrote:
is there anyone out there making the grey pattern cloth for curtains? I don't care to spend too much, that's the problem I'm sure Mad

There is a German site that has "some" of them.

The URL escapes me t this moment, but I am sure some one else can advise.

Be ready to Break My Wallet for that material....

Get your original, brand new curtains right here: http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts..../333000293 . And, yes, dust off your gold card. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Years ago I ignorantly bought this set of camper curtains thinking that I'd use them as templates for reproduction as a grey set for my Bluestar. Unfortunately when the box arrived, I just verified that everything in the ebay ad was there and then promptly placed the whole pile on a shelf for the next half decade. Now I'd like to sell them to a camper person, but have no idea whether these are factory or some kind of aftermarket thing. For whatever reason, there are two of the large front window curtains, and they're a slightly lighter shade of brown and made of a thinner fabric than the others.

The general dimensions are a little different than those listed here and also, there's only one curtain with the drapery strip at the top, so I'm really confused about what I have...l'il help?

Here are the pieces in the set:

1 each) 28" x 21" w/drapery strip and velcro strip on side (1)
2 each) 32" x 21" w/tube fold and velcro strip on side (1)
5 each) 28" x 21" w/tube fold and velcro strip on side (1)
2 each) 28" x 23" w/tube fold, snaps and velcro strip on side (2)

2 each) 132" x 28" w/elastic sewn into the top along with snaps (4) and snaps along each side (1)

These are the two very large front curtains.

Here you can sorta see the color/fabric difference between the front curtain and the rest.

Apparently these curtains are designed to be hung via these long elastic cords, but I'm not sure if that's factory Westfalia or not.

that looks like a ZPRODUCTS curtain kit Very Happy they fit the non camper nicely. mine is old and stained, sun faded and light blue in color. i might take them??$$
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone knows this already, but Sewfine offers curtains as well:
http://digital.publicationprinters.com/publication/?i=44301

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
andafiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my stock curtains and the wiki page as a guide, my friend is whipping up a new set of curtains for my '86 right now.

Despite all the warnings here, each explicit caveat, I followed my heart and chose the most impractical fabric. I love it, but it's not curtain material in any way. The outside will be lined with muslin, and my windows are all tinted dark anyway.

There are no curtains in there at all right now, but with the dark tint I really haven't even thought about it. But once they're hung, even when they're not stretched out and covering the windows, it's going to be an improvement over the more worse-for-wear areas of the upper interior.

'86 Westy 4-speed w/ EJ22 (a Racerrojo production!)
"It's got an eagle feather hangin' from the rear-view mirror..."
Ginger11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in purchasing the curtains.

Steven
send me and email
steven@ paint the usa. com
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the front slider door curtain have TWO ties on it? There is only one curtain to tie back. Only thing I can figure is that it's to tie back the front curtain, rather than remove it. There are two snaps to otherwise hold it in place, plus this tie, never tried it...just found it curious.

And, for those that didn't know. My OEM currents had little plastic rings on both sides of the curtain above the sliding door. This size is one too small, will find more the right size next time I go to the Dollar Store. They're so close, didn't even occur to me it was a different size. It fits, but the pressure will eventually break it! LOL They fit onto the little black knobs on either side of the sliding door, so the curtain remains in place. I like that better than the cords the curtains are on everywhere else.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Why does the front slider door curtain have TWO ties on it?

Don't know; my '90 only had one there, for the slider curtain. I don't know how you'd pull back the front curtain since it's all one piece. But now that I think about it, I did find an extra tie-back floating around in the van somewhere (glove box, rear seat... can't remember) when I initially cleaned it out after getting it home. Think

tam_shops wrote:
And, for those that didn't know. My OEM currents had little plastic rings on both sides of the curtain above the sliding door. ...They fit onto the little black knobs on either side of the sliding door, so the curtain
remains in place.

Yes, mine has one; other went missing when the elastic broke during a PO's ownership... an all too common malady with those curtains.

When I redid the curtains in my van, I got rid of the wire on the passenger side altogether (was a crappy replacement, didn't like it) and put magnets inside the hems. I'd have gotten rid of the driver's side wire too, but it holds the bin lids up.
2016 Golf GTI S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick note, I ended up getting some nice quality replacement curtains from Sewfine this summer. I ended up with their nice tweed with the vinyl ties. I don't use ties on the rear, so added those to the other curtain, doubling up in a couple spots - chiefly the slider curtain. Very nice as it bunches up the curtain much better, and keeps it out of the way.

I also had them add a pocket on the rearmost passenger side window curtain. I use this for glasses when I go to sleep at night, small flashlight/headlamp, book, etc. I'm finding this to be a very convenient addition. I have a photo somewhere, and I'll post it up when I find it.
onemat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GL Passenger Van which is going to be a weekender. I have the metal track to install. Is the location of the track a little different on a GL?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: