Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VANAGON- intermittent starting issues- have spent alot $
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to add a thick grounding strap straight from the starter (I usually put it around the lower stud) to the frame (Find a bolt or add one).
You can't over-ground the engine/trans.....
But you sure can under-ground it.
Generally either the trans to body strap or engine to body strap is in bad shape, and every little bit helps. Since the starter draws the most amps, it just makes sense to give it the shortest path possible.

I've fixed many a poor running or poor starting vanagon this way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DC66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x1000 on checking the grounds. I was towed last night for what ended up being a bad negative battery cable. Now my starter sounds a bit more efficient than it did prior to the new cable.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good minds here recommend carrying a spare ignition switch because they go bad so often. In researching this item a year ago I also came across more than a couple incidents where the newly replaced ignition switch was not working 100%. Supplier quality. It was rec'd to get the German one from Van Cafe or similar Vanagon vendor. It's a simple thing to replace. My old one worked fine, but I replaced it as preventative.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jptech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: NO START WOES Reply with quote

Hi Friend,

Your symptom discribes exaxtly what the neutral safety switch (NSS) is supoused to do - at the proper time. Put the gear selector in D or R and turn the key to start. Does that look/sound like our symptom ?

The NSS is intended to interrupt the KL 50 starting circuit to prevent starting in gear. If the NSS is misadjusted or just plain faulty, it may attempt to do the job in neutral or park, which is right where we are with the symptom. Check KL 50 from the ignition switch to the single connection on the starter solenoid using the "voltage drop" method. If KL 50 is clean, it can only br thr NSS.

Also if your shop can't figure this out on the second try ,,,,,you need to find another reparir shop.

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: