Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

102 Degrees in Chicagoland! A/C on full blast.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkvw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: 102 Degrees in Chicagoland! A/C on full blast. Reply with quote

Third day of 100+ degree heat here in Chicagoland. Today was the first day that I've ever had the van click over to the full 747 jet engine cooling fan mode where the fan goes to its fastest setting and the AC compressor turns off. AC was on full blast (recharged recently and working very well!), I just came off the highway after about a 10 mile drive, turned on to to road that leads up to my subdivision which has a slight grade, shifted to 4th, continued to accelerate, and then the fan switched over. Everything worked properly, which is a relief. The van came out of that mode after the hill, AC came back on - probably was a minute of total time. Temp gauge never went passed the LED.

I'm guessing this would be a common occurrence for those of you out west during the summer?
1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg
1987 Porsche 944 (951) Turbo
1987 Vanagon GL, Rocky Jennings Heads, RMW Exhaust, ASL 5-speed, AMG Wheels
1981 Porsche 924 (931) Turbo
1972 Beetle (standard)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We/ve been having 34 to 36 degree and I've had to use my Cold Start Cable to start my diesel each morning and if it's sat all day! Glad I learned that the "Cold" doesn't refer to atmospheric temp!!!! I actually chuckle each time I have to pulll it on! We get some breeze off Lake Ontario most of the time but the sun has been brutal!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha mine scared the heck out of me the other day.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skip Laubach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it's dropped to 90.4 degrees F, I think I'll take my "ambient air-cooled cabin" '84 WBXR out for a spin.

(just west of Kirkvw74, outside of Elgin, IL)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 102 Degrees in Chicagoland! A/C on full blast. Reply with quote

kirkvw72 wrote:
I'm guessing this would be a common occurrence for those of you out west during the summer?

No, actually... at least for mine. Think Had the A/C recharged last summer (has since lost its charge due to a leak) and it never shut off to run the fan at jet engine speed. I hear the fan turn on all the time (and, to me, it's loud), particularly while idling, but I don't know if that's hi-speed; I need to jump it one of these days so I know what each speed sounds like.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold On To Your Shorts & Crank That AC on again tomorrow--see how it works at 105 degree's--

Unbelieveable---
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we often see temps of 105, yes. but seldom with humidity. now that everything is working properly on my van; radiator, thermostat, closed coolant system and radiator fans/ac load, my van runs cooler with ac on.
I don't get the jet engine fan often.

I haven't heard the highest speed since new radiator. but it's there for a reason!!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NM sure---

Not here--Phooey---keep the heat. Shocked
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you'll know it when you hit stage 3 on the fan... it sounds uncannnily like a Cessna 172 on takeoff roll.
I'm pretty sure it will pull the van forward on a level surface... Laughing

Back on topic, I found this at Home Depot for about $8...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Position a big fan behind it, and even in humidity, it's pure bliss. Cool

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
...I haven't heard the highest speed since new radiator. but it's there for a reason!!

Our 84s came with a 2-speed fan with a noticeable but modest high speed. If your fan is still stock you won't get the same experience.

I went with a later 3-speed fan & shroud when I upgraded the A/C and it does come on after a lot of stop & go 100+° traffic. The comparison to a Cessna on a take-off roll is apt.
kirkvw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the spare tire is quite the block for the air flow off the radiator (replaced the original spare with a new tire). With the spare tire out of the way, the air coming through there is moving!

In terms of the highest speed for the cooling fan, you not only hear the difference, but the AC compressor shuts off as well.
1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg
1987 Porsche 944 (951) Turbo
1987 Vanagon GL, Rocky Jennings Heads, RMW Exhaust, ASL 5-speed, AMG Wheels
1981 Porsche 924 (931) Turbo
1972 Beetle (standard)
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 102 Degrees in Chicagoland! A/C on full blast. Reply with quote

kirkvw72 wrote:
Third day of 100+ degree heat here in Chicagoland. Today was the first day that I've ever had the van click over to the full 747 jet engine cooling fan mode where the fan goes to its fastest setting and the AC compressor turns off. AC was on full blast (recharged recently and working very well!), I just came off the highway after about a 10 mile drive, turned on to to road that leads up to my subdivision which has a slight grade, shifted to 4th, continued to accelerate, and then the fan switched over. Everything worked properly, which is a relief. The van came out of that mode after the hill, AC came back on - probably was a minute of total time. Temp gauge never went passed the LED.

The high speed fan can kick on when it is very hot outside..and the coolant gauge is still reading in the normal range. Your cooling system is fine and is working as designed.

The heat from the front A/C condenser (in front of the radiator) will be hot enough to heat-soak the radiator thermo switch and kick in the high speed fan. That front condenser will get very warm when we have high outside ambient temperatures and/or humidity.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that map, I really appreciate living in ever so temperate Cascadia. I run my AC anytime it's above 65F

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat map. California is the coolest. That's a surprise! Thanks for an overall pic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Neat map. California is the coolest. That's a surprise! Thanks for an overall pic.

That map is from the weather channel and available daily: http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/currentweatherusnational/uscurrenttemperatures_large.html
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cool the radiator with a canvas/flax water bag secured over the front of the bus. The evaporation cools the bag and makes for a good supply of emergency drinking water too.

Old Route 66 travel tip.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 102 Degrees in Chicagoland! A/C on full blast. Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
kirkvw72 wrote:

The high speed fan can kick on when it is very hot outside..and the coolant gauge is still reading in the normal range. Your cooling system is fine and is working as designed.

The heat from the front A/C condenser (in front of the radiator) will be hot enough to heat-soak the radiator thermo switch and kick in the high speed fan. That front condenser will get very warm when we have high outside ambient temperatures and/or humidity.

such as mine Dancing
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Neat map. California is the coolest. That's a surprise!

I take it you've never been to San Francisco in the summer time?
Our home thermostat tripped the heater this morning.

Inland heat + Pacific Ocean = one tremendous heat sink --> and the famous coastal fog of the west coast.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don' remember what time of year I was in San Fran but BART was definitely not working. mm maybe winter as I went skiing at Tahoe before going to LA. Liked San Francisco very much regardless.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
I take it you've never been to San Francisco in the summer time?
Our home thermostat tripped the heater this morning.

Inland heat + Pacific Ocean = one tremendous heat sink --> and the famous coastal fog of the west coast.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: