Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine idle problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Engine idle problems Reply with quote

My 1776 with a 34 pict 3 ran great until I pulled the motor to replace the transaxle in my 67. The motor sat on the floor of my garage for 8 weeks. When I put it back in, the motor has an idle problem, and is slow to raise the RPM when the pedal is depressed. After it warms up, and I get the RPMs to 3k and let off, it will slow to idle and then die. I turned the idle adjusting screw in and it helped some, but will still die after high RPM.
Any idea what 8 weeks could have done to a great running motor ?
65'1300Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did that. Turned out to be a bad idle solenoid that would open and close intermittently. Can't think of much else...
Itawayoflife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have some sediment in the carb from it sitting.
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking carb and/fuel pump. You mentioned sediment in the carburetor. I rebuilt the 34 about 3 thousand miles ago. Sitting out of car for 2 months would cause sediments ? I would imagine all the fuel evaporated in that time, so I could see that. What would you do to remove that ? Remove it and blow it out clean with compressed air ?
Itawayoflife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Cleaning it out with carb cleaner and compressed air should do the trick. Make sure you get all the passage ways including the accelerator passage. Sometime the little check balls in the accelerator passage can get stuck. Could what's causing the slow acceleration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: