Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Repair shop Seattle WA
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: VW Repair shop Seattle WA Reply with quote

I can't seem to figure out my poorly running engine so I am going to take my 2.0FI to a shop. Any in Seattle come highly recommended?
1vwdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northwest Connecting Rod. Reputable , quality work and knowledgeable staff.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 most well-known shops are:
• Woflsburg Motorwerks in Ballard
• Bowwow (Autovice) in Lynwood (http://www.autoviceservice.com/)

I can't speak how well they do. I do my own work.

You can also get more suggestions from:
http://www.cascadekombis.org/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWdubfolk/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how much actual work jerrry does at northwest connecting rod, I believe it's mostly a machine shop and engine builder. I got some heads worked on by him and was very happy with the price and are so far doing great.

Bowwow or autovice is the most known and a friend swears by them (Doug)for his vanagons and beetle.

There is also Buterra out in Juanita. They were super helpful and honest when I was chasing some gremlins. Basically he drove my bus around the block told me what he thought was wrong and sent me on free of charge. Though I am pretty sure try mostly do watercooleds and type 1s
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seattle repair shop(s)? Reply with quote

dabble wrote:
I can't seem to figure out my poorly running engine so I am going to take my 2.0FI to a shop. Any in Seattle come highly recommended?

buddy...gimme a call and i will try to swing by sometime first...i like diagnosing errors... Very Happy

206 841 7324

Stuart

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklins VW has my vote -- I picked up my bus (almost sight unseen) near bellingham and by the time I was past the airport in seattle I was losing a quart of oil every 10 miles from a pair of leaking valve covers.

It was sunday around 11am, and everything else was closed, . Bowwow, a few no-name places I'd found on my phone, etc. I needed valve cover gaskets for sure, and maybe a valve cover. Obviously for a t4 these are not easy to find in a strange city on sunday on a whim. I drove past Franklins, having heard some good things from the t3 seattle people.

MAN was I blown away!

Franklin was alone in the shop that day, but when we rolled in he gave me a new valve cover and fresh gasket for free, despite insisting to pay him for it. he toured my dad and I around the shop and showed us his projects and loaned me a jack and some room in the drive bay to swap out the gaskets and valve cover.

TLDR: Franklin is a 100% awesome guy, great shop. take your business to a guy who eats sleeps and breathes vw's and obviously has an upstanding ethic.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats TLDR?

JSMskater wrote:
Franklins VW has my vote -- I picked up my bus (almost sight unseen) near bellingham and by the time I was past the airport in seattle I was losing a quart of oil every 10 miles from a pair of leaking valve covers.

It was sunday around 11am, and everything else was closed, . Bowwow, a few no-name places I'd found on my phone, etc. I needed valve cover gaskets for sure, and maybe a valve cover. Obviously for a t4 these are not easy to find in a strange city on sunday on a whim. I drove past Franklins, having heard some good things from the t3 seattle people.

MAN was I blown away!

Franklin was alone in the shop that day, but when we rolled in he gave me a new valve cover and fresh gasket for free, despite insisting to pay him for it. he toured my dad and I around the shop and showed us his projects and loaned me a jack and some room in the drive bay to swap out the gaskets and valve cover.

TLDR: Franklin is a 100% awesome guy, great shop. take your business to a guy who eats sleeps and breathes vw's and obviously has an upstanding ethic.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I took my bus to Wolfsburg was also the last.

I know a lot of the shop owners in the area. I'd recommend Fine Tuning although its been a while and I forget how much aircooled they do.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wagonshop in Kirkland. Calvin and Greg are good aircooled veterans.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:

MAN was I blown away!

True this. I went in for oil cooler doughnuts, simular respoce from him. Good guy.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he isnt as samba addicted as i am...so ill spill the news first. Razz

we took off his new plug wires from autozone, and replace two which were shocking me repeatedly when i touched the dizzy, using the best two old ones he had, because two of the old wouldnt work (one had no resistance (open short) and the other was to short for that side of the engine)
next we checked the advance and found it to not be working properly. so i tore out the dizzy, threw it in a vice, tore it down to nothing real quick, lube the SHIZZ outta the shaft (and the advance plate), which was stiffer then a rock, and then put it back together and inserted it back into the hole (in the engine)

did anyone else re read that? Shocked L>O>L>>>>Laughing

set the timing at 28* with no hoses at full advance, took it for a test drive and he said it felt MUCH better...so i told him to re lube it ever few times he drives it and we will check it again and see how it works out. if it doesnt free up enough, then i suggested a used distributor from ken.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lied...he is addicted also....
from the Ljet help area...

dabble wrote:
Big thanks to Stuart!!

He came over tonight and figured out the majority of the problem. My mechanical and vacuum advance on my dizzy was not working at all. Also had two spark plug wires (new from auto zone...) that were not sending consistent spark.

Stuart pulled the dizzy, took it apart, lubed everything up, and it runs much better now!

It still has a backfire when I let off the accelerator so I need to figure that out, but it is in a much better place now than before. I think I will check the decal valve and go from there.

Thanks again, Stuart! And thanks Samba!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
dabble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I lied...he is addicted also....
from the Ljet help area...

dabble wrote:
Big thanks to Stuart!!

He came over tonight and figured out the majority of the problem. My mechanical and vacuum advance on my dizzy was not working at all. Also had two spark plug wires (new from auto zone...) that were not sending consistent spark.

Stuart pulled the dizzy, took it apart, lubed everything up, and it runs much better now!

It still has a backfire when I let off the accelerator so I need to figure that out, but it is in a much better place now than before. I think I will check the decal valve and go from there.

Thanks again, Stuart! And thanks Samba!

I'm quite addicted... Stuart rocks!
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first time I took my bus to Wolfsburg was also the last.

OK. I'll fess up. Me too. But I've read a LOT of great reviews about them, so I kept quiet about this. Maybe it was just a fluke but....

Truth is, the one time I went there (I had only owned by bus for a month) they could not figure out my problem, and the things they did to try and figure it out blew me away with how lame and just plain DUMB they were (the techniques, not necessarily the people). So $250 and 4 full weeks later, I limped my bus home and fixed it myself. That was 3 years ago. I haven't been back since - and why would I?

Details:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770
chrisd1891
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my engine built at NW Connecting rod. Someone messed up the oil galley plugs, so I got it back and it leaked oil everywhere. I'm still trying to get it sorted. It's been a long ordeal, but Jerry seems willing enough to come fix it. Allegedly it should be sorted out this weekend. Confused

Take that for what you will. I heard good things about NW Connecting Rod, but my experience has been poor. No doubt they're knowledgeable, but this little mistake really screwed things up. Lots of money and time wasted. It is what it is, I guess. Sad Next engine that goes, I'm rebuilding it myself.

Admin at Aircooled Rescue. Register to help out your fellow VW folks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW connecting works on engines... but from my understanding this doesn't include an engine that’s installed in a bus... You bring them an engine out.... they are THE go-to engine people in WA. (just don't let him talk you into bead blasting your case...)

I use roadhaus to find shops in my area… (anecdotally Wolfsburg Motorwerks has gotten numerous bad reviews there…)

http://roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=47

I’ve had a reasonably positive experience with Mike at Wagenschmitt in the U-district

(206) 545-3500

http://wagenschmitt.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also keep hearing about these guys, at least in regard to suspension:

http://www.group2inc.com/auto-projects.html

Supposedly they do a lot of VW bus stuff. Not really sure what, exactly.
1vwdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Jerry to be a standup guy. I do think it is a hard industry to stay afloat. My hat is off to the local guys who stick with VWs. The broad reach VW once had has shrunk over time. I might raise some hackles with that comment. I only mean to say that the VW days of seeing them everywhere has changed and to keep a business going solely focused on VWs has to be tough.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
NW connecting works on engines... but from my understanding this doesn't include an engine that’s installed in a bus... You bring them an engine out.... they are THE go-to engine people in WA. (just don't let him talk you into bead blasting your case...)

I use roadhaus to find shops in my area… (anecdotally Wolfsburg Motorwerks has gotten numerous bad reviews there…)

http://roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=47

I’ve had a reasonably positive experience with Mike at Wagenschmitt in the U-district

(206) 545-3500

http://wagenschmitt.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mike is one hell of a guy. if you want to meet him personally, come to a kascade Kombis meeting first tuesday of every month at spiros pizza on 175th in shoreline off hwy 99....lots of people to know are in this crowd, and the beers free the first meeting you come too! Wink

Mike really knows his stuff...give him a call if nothing else works for sure!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1vwdog wrote:
I found Jerry to be a standup guy. I do think it is a hard industry to stay afloat. My hat is off to the local guys who stick with VWs. The broad reach VW once had has shrunk over time. I might raise some hackles with that comment. I only mean to say that the VW days of seeing them everywhere has changed and to keep a business going solely focused on VWs has to be tough.

I work in the industry that builds the machinery shops like NWCN use, and its a very tough industry for being focused on VW alone.

A good friend of mine has had good experiences with Wagenschmitt.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: