Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Splitty Photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 426, 427, 428  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Anyone know the state that plate frame is from?
Just curious.

It sort of bugs me that it's mounted low like that

Could be Washington...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

earlier plates are different from those here are 3 '54-? plates I have that are all different from each other

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
nebkv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Kraljevo,Yugoslavia 70's
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
VW's factory calendar for 1962 had current models positioned "in front of" scenic paintings from different parts of the world.

For February, the location is Africa. The caption reads: "Wherever you go in Africa you will find wide open spaces and vast expanses of sky. It has a magic of its own. At night the stars shine brightly in exotic colours, just out of reach. In the desert the Fata Morgana teases travellers with fantastic mirages, and the pictures conjured up by the clouds in the huge blue vault of the sky are hardly less strange. In this typical East African landscape Werner Peiner contrasts the intensely blue early morning sky with the hazy blue mountains and records an unforgettable experience- a herd of giraffes emerging from the shelter of the acacias."

Werner Peiner...an official painter of the Third Reich...and favourite of Hitler. Interesting that he was still working for Volkswagen in 62.
For June, the location is South America. The caption reads: "In this picture the American painter, F. A. Hannon, has captured the enchantment of a Peruvian village. VW Commercials may no longer be a sensation here, but the llama is still an important means of transport in this country where summer begins in December and July is the coolest month of the year. Peru is famous for its brilliantly coloured birds- humming birds, parrots, toucans- and highly flavored dishes, most of which are garnished with red Spanish peppers. If you visit a village inn you should try some chicha morada, a wine made from violet maize, one of the country's specialties."

For August, the scene is Canada. The caption reads: "The Canadian Rockies form the northernmost part of the Rocky Mountain range, which extends down almost the complete length of North America. A. C. Leighton's picture shows one of the most majestic peaks, Mount Eisenhower (9,390 feet). At its foot lie the beautiful Banff and Kootenay National Parks, full of natural marvels; lakes with icebergs, boiling springs shooting up like the fountains at Versailles, virgin forests where bears and pumas still roam in freedom."

Werner Peiner was an official painter for the Third Reich...and a favourite of Hitler. Interesting that he was working with Volkswagen in 62.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

henk wrote:

henk!!!

No one has commented, so I will. That looks awesome!

I get disproportionately annoyed by the idiots coming toward me that overtake parked cars and drive at me on my side of the road. One of those on the front would make them think twice. Twisted Evil

Mind you, it does look like they painted it white. Seems a bit ill-advised for a snow plough.

Link

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Not sure how to post up the actual photo but I found this:
Ricky Nelson's bus (I assume) photo owned by Ghetty Images. (the top one, duh)
http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/nieuwsfotos/gunna...s/74288752
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:

That is one really eclectic collection of cars. England, I guess. A car show? Or was that an actual assortment of daily drivers?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Da TOW'D wrote:

That is one really eclectic collection of cars. England, I guess. A car show? Or was that an actual assortment of daily drivers?

Unusual amount of American metal in there. Type of thing you might have seen around a US airbase in England, but not typical. Might be Australia? They got a lot of ours and American cars.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Da TOW'D wrote:

Unusual amount of American metal in there. Type of thing you might have seen around a US airbase in England, but not typical. Might be Australia? They got a lot of ours and American cars.

Unless the negaitve has been flipped it appears most are RHD so there goes my Canada theory, at one time there was a crapload of British cars on the roads here but LHD.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Da TOW'D wrote:

Unless the negaitve has been flipped it appears most are RHD so there goes my Canada theory, at one time there was a crapload of British cars on the roads here but LHD.

I found the parking lot photo on the net.
my guess UK or Australia
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

^^^ Interesting photo. I see only one bus and two beetles. Maybe a type 3 in the upper left. Looks like temporary markings for the parking area. Must be a one-time event thing or something.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Da TOW'D wrote:

I found the parking lot photo on the net.
my guess UK or Australia

If anyone knows what vintage Holdens look like, that would be a giveaway. Oz car maker. I don't think we imported any to the UK.

Could also be somewhere like South Africa.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
henk wrote:

henk!!!

I get disproportionately annoyed by the idiots coming toward me that overtake parked cars and drive at me on my side of the road. One of those on the front would make them think twice. Twisted Evil

Mind you, it does look like they painted it white. Seems a bit ill-advised for a snow plough.

I wonder if bladed flying snow piles up on the tilt?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
henk wrote:

henk!!!

I wonder if bladed flying snow piles up on the tilt?

most likely, especially if you go over 60mph Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

There must be some serious reinforcement on the front of that bus to support the plow and withstand the force from the snow while plowing...not to mention how all that added weight must affect the steering.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
...must be some serious reinforcement on the front of that bus...

M-code BEEF.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

They probly used it in town only and pushed 2 inch drifts around max and went 10mph. Laughing You can stick a snow plow on small cars and trucks and it doesn't mean they need extra reinforcement. It tears them up and I'm sure that bus lived a rough short life but it works.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Heinz Nordhoff
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 426, 427, 428  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 428

Jump to: