Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Space under the swivel seat in 87 Westy - how to access it
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaeger74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Space under the swivel seat in 87 Westy - how to access it Reply with quote

Good Morning friends,

I added a second battery kit form GoWesty earlier this year and now looking to upgrade the system to a dual battery charger like the Pro Sport model they have for sale. I watched the excellent video but am scratching my head because: In the video they show how they neatly put all the components under the space under the seat, but I have a Westy with swivel seats and that base seems to be welded in place denying me access to it.

Am I missing something here? Is the base bolted on somewhere beneath the carpet and if not is there another trick to access that area and bolt the components down safely? That space seems to be perfect for it and I love to utilize it.

Thanks for the help and a happy 4th. of July in advance
Elmar
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Westy, the front panel of the pedestal has to be cut off to access that space. Sawzall works, smaller reciprocating saw is better.

Carefully peel away the carpet on the front of the pedestal. There are a couple holes there that allow the start of the saw.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$15 harbor freight oscillating tool with a metal capable blade is very controllable and a handy tool to have around.. works like the saw they cut casts off limbs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When GoWesty installs their Recaro seat upgrade, they remove the swivel completely. This opens up complete access to that area with the driver's seat removed. I removed my d/s swivel to lower the seat back to the stock vanagon height. The stock seat tracks are already there. I saved it, but found I never swiveled it when camping.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
When GoWesty installs their Recaro seat upgrade, they remove the swivel completely. This opens up complete access to that area with the driver's seat removed. I removed my d/s swivel to lower the seat back to the stock vanagon height. The stock seat tracks are already there. I saved it, but found I never swiveled it when camping.

Honestly - I never swivel the drivers side either. Too much stuff around it to make the effort worth it.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic with swivels, I am thinking of adding this to my passenger seat, is it really worth the effort/cost? Pros/cons of it...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's %150 worth adding a swivel to the pass seat in any van.
so much so that it's a shame it wasn't at least an factory/dealer option.

I'm in the "removes" swivel from drivers seat.. and one van we have came w/o the DS swivel .. I tear tags off mattresses too. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: