Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WA and OR trip to do advise?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only 1 Spruce Goose in the world! Cool

http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retterath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Portland:

Powell's books- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell%27s_Books

Everyday music- http://www.everydaymusic.com/
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check this out by pikes place market, it's discusting so that means the kids will like it Laughing

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_...all+of+gum

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather up in this region has been fairly nice over the last few weeks. Not sure what your schedule or budget allows but something I often recommend to visiting friends planning to travel in this area is the following…

After “doing”, Seattle, a city I love by the way, I tell folks to take what I call the “loop” drive to get a sense of what the Pacific NorthWest is about, a region as opposed to just a city.

Head north out of Seattle on I-5, in Everett, turn off and take the Whidbey Island ferry ( by the way did you catch the Boeing plant
Tour? You’ll pass right by it!)

The ferry will drop you off in Clinton on the south end of what’s often called bucolic Whidbey Island. Driving north on state hiway 20 be prepared for some awesome panoramic vistas and quaint
Small towns with interesting nick knack curio shops and some killer
Eating spots. Check out fort Casey the old coast artillery army base with its massive guns and concrete emplacements also the old
Whidbey Island light house. If you’re lucky you may get to see the kite flyers that do their thing there, some flying huge Japanese style box kites in the on shore breeze’s.

Stop in Coupeville a rebuilt 1890‘s town with all sorts of character. Signs on many structures let you know who lived where and when. Have a plate of Penn Cove mussels and clams.
Local from right in the area.

Continuing on, head into Oak Harbor. A jewel of the northwest. Camping / RV parking is available.
Need supplies? Wall Mart, Safeway, Home Depot , Ace Hardware
You name it, all available. Even a couple of Volkswagen air-cooled
Fix it shops in the area.
Naval Air Station Whidbey and the Seaplane base are located here.
Interested in jets? Interested in Naval aviation or Naval history?
Take a tour of the base. If you’re affiliated with the military in some way, active duty or reserve, some facilities may be readily available to you such as commissary, gas station, navy exchange,etc.

North out of Oak Harbor, still on hiway 20 a few miles is Deception pass park with camping and RV spots. The jewel of this area is Deception Pass Bridge. Absolutely beautiful views,
Camping, hiking, fishing, and tours are available.

From here you have a choice. You can continue on state route 20 east and return to I-5 and head south to Seattle ( after leaving Whidbey Island) or you can follow state route 20 WEST to
Anacortes, another beautiful small town located on Puget Sound.
Anacortes has this thing for boats. They have lots of boats and boat yards there, a beautiful place.
Also there is the Washington State ferry, which if you follow my urging you and your family will catch ( at 8 o’clock in the AM)

This ferry will take you on a tour of Puget Sound and Washington’s beautiful San Juan Islands. Don’t worry you’ll have your wheels with you in event you just have to get off and explore
Orcas Island or Friday Harbor, on San Juan Island.
But wait where you headed is the last stop on the ferry’s run.
The Canadian city of Victoria on Vancouver Island.
Did I mention this is in Canada?
A fabulous place. In the city are many places to stay.
And to see? An endless list including the wax museum, government buildings, waterfront tours, and an antique airplane museum for starters.
Ready to leave?
It’s back to the ferry landing but this time we catch the Canadian ferry to the city of Vancouver in British Columbia.
This has got to be one of the world’s most glamorous city’s. The Olympics were held there a few years back. So much to see and do here. I’ll start with Stanley Park, the world class zoo, the water front, Lions Gate Bridge, the capilano suspension bridge, and of course Grouse Mountain with its cable cars that take you up to a fantastic view of the region. In the winter there skiing of course but in summer ( if your lucky) the hang gliding championships where folks fling themselves off a three thousand foot cliff/mountain and sail into the sky.
Off course there’s more, my wife and I always enjoy the night life up there. Places like the spaghetti factory bring lots of memories.
Ready to head south?
Well its back to the U.S. border crossing at Blaine. Once back across the border its south on I-5.
Heading south there’s a few places you may want to stop and check. In Bellingham about an hours drive south check out the
College campus atWestern Washington University.
One of the prettiest small college campus’s in the U.S.
Perhaps you may want to drive up to the foot of Mount Baker,
A snow capped extinct volcano. Again hiking, great vistas,
Camping in the local area, etc.

Finally as you head south on I-5 take the “CHUCK-A-NUT ROAD” exit and follow this scenic route bordering Puget sound then south through farms, scenic vistas, tulip fields, as it takes you thru Skagit valley.
Finally you will return to I-5 and on back into Seattle.

That’s my “grand tour”. Living on Whidbey Island I’ve taken it many times and always enjoyed it. Its why my wife and I love this
Area so much!
Try it, you like it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: