Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My attempt at a 1904
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah hah, thanks for the re cap

Click to view image
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is not unusual for a fresh engine. Things should stabilize as it gets more miles on it. Just remember to periodically re-set idle mixture screws and check the timing and valve lash until things stop changing.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
this is not unusual for a fresh engine. Things should stabilize as it gets more miles on it. Just remember to periodically re-set idle mixture screws and check the timing and valve lash until things stop changing.

for sure! i plan on doing some work with a LM-1 at some point too. i will either rent yours or see about borrowing a friends. i want to get her all dialed in the best i can

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey skills, are you going to have that mill dialled in by Litchfield? Looking forward to seeing it and swapping lies.

See you there.

Marshall
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My attempt at a 1904 Reply with quote

OK so is thing still running?

Still using that 010 distributor?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My attempt at a 1904 Reply with quote

Some oil filters drain back and this can make quite a bit of difference on a dip stick readings. I had to try several brands etc to find one that worked well.
The Hastings LF493F seemed to work well to stop it. As did the Wix-51342 These filters do have a higher bypass valve pressure of 16 PSI Whereas the usual VW Type 1 Engine and type 4's use a 6 or 7 psi bypass pressure. Perhaps this is why they solve the problem.

I have noticed that the 74mm Crank does pick up the oil and blow it out of the engine If I drive above 75 MPH for a long time. Perhaps yours was just too full of oil so it was smoking.
My engine didn't really settle in and have Zero valve adjust needed until It had about 15,000 on it and I switched from Castrol 5W30 to Mobel 1 0W40 and quit adding the ZDDP.
Took it out on the Interstate for a 100miles at 75mph or more. It was like 95' degrees out that day too. It went through a 1/2" quart of oil doing that but it broke it in. Valve adjustments are stable now and no smoke at all and it's not using any oil if it stay below 70mph.
I don't really have a proper breather setup on mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: