Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

This might be a pretty damn stupid question, but I've been looking on several topics and google pages finding a lot of different opinions.

I have a 1970 VW bus, long story short, I activate the turn signal lever to the right, both dashboard indicators light up at the same time, same when I activate the lever to the left. Is this the way it works? Pretty much the same as activating the hazard light switch.

Not a big deal, I reckon I can remember which direction I active the lever. Just trying to figure out if this is the way it is. It seems some old cars operate this way, some other ones, depending on the year and model, light up the indicator light side you activate on the turn signal lever.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

sioux888 wrote:
Is this the way it works?

Yes
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

Alright! Thanks man.
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

sioux888 wrote:
I reckon I can remember which direction I active the lever.

Yeah, I think the Germans reckoned it too! Otherwise, someone who doesn't remember which way the lever was flicked probably shouldn't drive Laughing

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:
sioux888 wrote:
I reckon I can remember which direction I active the lever.

Yeah, I think the Germans reckoned it too! Otherwise, someone who doesn't remember which way the lever was flicked probably shouldn't drive Laughing

BMW is eliminating the indicators as they are never used...
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

sioux888 wrote:
This might be a pretty damn stupid question, but I've been looking on several topics and google pages finding a lot of different opinions.

I have a 1970 VW bus, long story short, I activate the turn signal lever to the right, both dashboard indicators light up at the same time, same when I activate the lever to the left. Is this the way it works? Pretty much the same as activating the hazard light switch.

Not a big deal, I reckon I can remember which direction I active the lever. Just trying to figure out if this is the way it is. It seems some old cars operate this way, some other ones, depending on the year and model, light up the indicator light side you activate on the turn signal lever.

If you want your two direction-indicator (i.e. turn-signal in USA parlance) warning lights to operate independently, try the following modified circuit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1982286

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

Nigel,

As the turn indicator lamps are commoned to switched +12 volts, how do you change their common reference to earth instead? If it was in your schematic, I must have missed it...

Another way of doing this is to have the front turn indicators drive the coils on two small relays, and then rewire the turn indicators such that each relay's contacts earth the appropriate turn indicator.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

So much fiddling and work for what exactly?, I can't remember the last time I looked to see if I got the signals right on any car while busy in traffic, I was too distracted looking out the windows to see who was going to hit me. Wink

The arrows are blinking.......I moved the switch in the direction I'm going..........job done, I'm busy now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

BMW is eliminating the indicators as they are never used...

that's funny shit right there Laughing

busdaddy wrote:
So much fiddling and work for what exactly?, I can't remember the last time I looked to see if I got the signals right on any car while busy in traffic, I was too distracted looking out the windows to see who was going to hit me. Wink

The arrows are blinking.......I moved the switch in the direction I'm going..........job done, I'm busy now.

yup...and the later buses only had the 1 indicator with <> printed on it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
sioux888 wrote:

If you want your two direction-indicator (i.e. turn-signal in USA parlance) warning lights to operate independently, try the following modified circuit.

I really wish I could fully understand your diagram because I know it lays it out perfectly.

It looks like you have the white/black wire and black/green wire going directly to their respective bulb and bypassing the metal contact plate. Is that correct? Are the two wires pigtailed/branching off the relay or before the relay?

Have you done this mod?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Nigel,

As the turn indicator lamps are commoned to switched +12 volts, how do you change their common reference to earth instead? If it was in your schematic, I must have missed it....

Originally the supply to both indicator lights is common as is the ground. You would need to split the supply while leaving the ground alone.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

Perhaps Nigel used the 2-regular-terminal twist-in bulb holders that used to be available. They are
otherwise identical to the stock units that have one lead of the bulb connected to the "live metal contact plate".
If so, he would do well to mention that in his diagram. That's how I rewired my indicator warning lights to
properly show which side of the vehicle has its indicators blinking. Over twenty years later, it still makes me smile to see that enormous wrong righted.

Also, I do believe he misidentifies the terminal "54BL" on the turn signal switch as being "49a". Or were non-USA
market vehicles different?

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

All too often, I have witnessed drivers giving a direction-indicator signal to turn in one direction, but actually turn in the opposite direction.

It is my conviction that all vehicles should be equipped with separate warning lights to unambiguously show on which side of the vehicle, the direction-indicator lamps have been activated. It would also be prudent to incorporate as standard (to optimise ergonomics!) a warning light to show that trailer direction indicators are functioning correctly.

Different cars have different configurations of direction-indicator stalk-switch location; typically being on either the right-hand or left-hand sides of the steering column; something I noted when driving a variety of cars such as an early-1970s vintage Hillman Hunter, 1974 Triumph Toledo, 1972 Fiat 124 Special T, 1977 Honda Civic, 1982 Honda Accord, 1986 Ford Sierra XR4x4 and 2004 SEAT Leon Cupra 20VT.

ivwshane wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
sioux888 wrote:

I really wish I could fully understand your diagram because I know it lays it out perfectly.

It looks like you have the white/black wire and black/green wire going directly to their respective bulb and bypassing the metal contact plate. Is that correct? Are the two wires pigtailed/branching off the relay or before the relay?

Have you done this mod?

Yes, I did this modification several years ago, but I have yet to complete the vehicle and drive it on the road. Others have done it to their vehicles following my instructions.

kreemoweet wrote:
Perhaps Nigel used the 2-regular-terminal twist-in bulb holders that used to be available. They are otherwise identical to the stock units that have one lead of the bulb connected to the "live metal contact plate".

If so, he would do well to mention that in his diagram. That's how I rewired my indicator warning lights to properly show which side of the vehicle has its indicators blinking. Over twenty years later, it still makes me smile to see that enormous wrong righted.

Also, I do believe he misidentifies the terminal "54BL" on the turn signal switch as being "49a". Or were non-USA market vehicles different?

Non-USA specification, 1968~71 VW Type 2s are very different with regard to the rear tail lights', brake lights' and direction-indicator lights' electrical circuits! the RED rear direction-indicators, are illegal here on vehicles first used in 1965 onward. Hence or otherwise, we have much simpler electrical circuitry, which I believe is like that of the USA specification, 1972~79 VW Type 2s.

For the foreseeable future, owing to COVID-19 restrictions, I shall be unable to provide an updated diagram which includes information about using modified original bulb holders or alternative bulb holders with insulated 2.8 mm spade connections, as commonly found in VDO Cockpit gauges.

Having limited Internet access time in my friend's green house (no power supply!) using a borrowed laptop every few days, I didn't have time to include the information about bulb holders, before the battery ran down! Sad

Try this topic thread:

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > Independent direction-indicator warning light upgrade

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259622

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

The link posted just above by Nigel has the "h" cut off from the "http" so you have to fix it to go there.

In that linked thread, Nigel gives a part number for a VDO bulb holder, which I got nowhere with.

I came up with a different VDO part number, 600-840, for a similar bulb holder, but was unable to determine
if it was suitable for the indicator warning light mod discussed above. CIP1 has it, pretty cheap.

I also came across a VW part #437-919-039, which seems to be the desired part. It's discontinued by VW, but
supposedly available in the US at https://www.vancafe.com/437919039-p/437919039.htm

It's also available from Bus-OK in Europe for 5 euros or so, plus godonlyknows how much for shipping.

So now the rest of y'all can fix VW's terrible turn indicator dash light design, and be happy.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster indicator lights, left, right or both? Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
The link posted just above by Nigel has the "h" cut off from the "http" so you have to fix it to go there.

In that linked thread, Nigel gives a part number for a VDO bulb holder, which I got nowhere with.

I came up with a different VDO part number, 600-840, for a similar bulb holder, but was unable to determine if it was suitable for the indicator warning light mod discussed above. CIP1 has it, pretty cheap.

I also came across a VW part #437-919-039, which seems to be the desired part. It's discontinued by VW, but
supposedly available in the US at https://www.vancafe.com/437919039-p/437919039.htm

It's also available from Bus-OK in Europe for 5 euros or so, plus godonlyknows how much for shipping.

So now the rest of y'all can fix VW's terrible turn indicator dash light design, and be happy.

As requested I have edited the link, reinstating the "h" of "https". In order to "properly" copy the link URLs these days, I need to omit at least one character and then reinstate the omitted characters afterwards; which I forgot to do. Whoops! Embarassed

The bulb holders illustrated at the link you provided appear to be the same as those to which I referred. THe VDO bulb-holder part number I quoted came from my British edition, 1992 VDO catalogue.

From what I recall of Bus-OK in Europe, their prices seem inordinately expensive to me!

You all have fun now, upgrading your VW Type 2s to a safer configuration! Very Happy

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: