Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

End Accelerator Cable Extension on an AAZ
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: End Accelerator Cable Extension on an AAZ Reply with quote

Because this engine is generally a Jetta placement (or front end) and because the accelerator is in a different position on the AAZ (vs WBX) an extension needs to be added to the end of the accelerator cable. That's the given. In the past and now more recently on Monday a length of wiring has been added with a 'dead end' fixed at the end aft of the accelerator. Because of the nature of the fixed adaptor, the wire does not lay fair, there is a slight change of direction. This constant rubbing of the threaded multi wire frays it.

What kind of wire could be used that won't be susceptable to this fraying? I'm thinking air plane wire or a large gauge 12V electrical wire with a protective covering, at least with the latter one could see the rubbing BEFORE the fraying of the actual wire. I foresee this as a regular occurence and would like to redesign or at the least use a wire that is more resistance to the slight angle friction. I will try to remember to take a picture of the set up.

An added question would be what type of equipment should be used to join the two wires and what kind of dead end can be used? Any info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We did the extension on Monday morning with the tools and equipment available and I would like to do it more permanently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of an extension is needed?

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: End Accelerator Cable Extension on an AAZ Reply with quote

Rather than splicing a diesel extension cable end to a wbx cable why not just get the correct diesel cable meant for 83+ diesel Vanagons?

I ordered a couple the other day from a discount online VW Dealer and they confirmed availability and said I should have them next week.

There is a slightly shorter one from the more common 82 diesel Vanagons that will probably work as well and that one is available in the aftermarket parts supply chain for about $40, same as the later cable from the discount dealer.

Mark

DAIZEE wrote:
Because this engine is generally a Jetta placement (or front end) and because the accelerator is in a different position on the AAZ (vs WBX) an extension needs to be added to the end of the accelerator cable. That's the given. In the past and now more recently on Monday a length of wiring has been added with a 'dead end' fixed at the end aft of the accelerator. Because of the nature of the fixed adaptor, the wire does not lay fair, there is a slight change of direction. This constant rubbing of the threaded multi wire frays it...............
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee, I really wish I had known this before we saw you at WRW last weekend, I fear you're really going to have to deviate from the oem bits in the cable system.
I have a spare custom throttle cable we use for our converted engines under each rear bench.
it's a bit universal but it has a long life expectancy.

the connection at the injection pump would need to be figure out as it's differant than a gas engine. but I've even had great luck in just forming a loop in the end to hoop the ball stud on the injection pump throttle arm.

I can send one up for you to consider.

I use 1/16" ss aircraft cable inside a teflon lined cable housing with a rubber seal on the ends. takes about 12ft, but I keep it in the van as a 15ft length for customization to suit the particular VW.

I may still have yoru mail address, if so I'll forward one along.. and post a pic up in this thread.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the AAZ engine sits high and the accelerator cable parts can bind on the engine cover even with the foam removed. Would have to be small loops and what material do you use to close the loops?

I don't think using the earlier model diesel's would come closer as this is a 98 engine. The extension is fine, I just need to redo it from what it's been since I've gotten the van. The extension is only about 4 " long over all. I definitely need to see pictures and as I said I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow of present and past set up.

Doing 65 mph on an Interstate and losing acceleration is not a nice feeling, fortunately I recognized it for what it was and was able to use my momentum to get way off the road onto 1/2 soft and 1/2 hard shoulder. Cool

Dan don't fret, I didn't realize that it was fraying, nor that it could happen so suddenly. I did my engine compartment & fluid checks on Saturday. I always do before a trip. Like it was an over 1000 mile trip for me. Ball stud is what I need for the end so that the cable runs fair thru that end hole. What are thoughts on using fishing weights? I have a replacement accelerator cable but it has to be reconfigured due to the AAZ accelerator being at the rear of the engine. Can this connection in this location be welded or am I thinking of an explosion? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always have the fresh cut end dipped in solder at a motorcycle shop. That will at least keep it from fraying. I am thinking about threading the stock cable end and finding a barrel nut that can be soldered on the end of a cable to extend mine on an engine swap I am thinking of.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Last edited by westyventures on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Daizee, I really wish I had known this before we saw you at WRW last weekend, I fear you're really going to have to deviate from the oem bits in the cable system.
I have a spare custom throttle cable we use for our converted engines under each rear bench.
it's a bit universal but it has a long life expectancy.

the connection at the injection pump would need to be figure out as it's differant than a gas engine. but I've even had great luck in just forming a loop in the end to hoop the ball stud on the injection pump throttle arm.

I can send one up for you to consider.

I use 1/16" ss aircraft cable inside a teflon lined cable housing with a rubber seal on the ends. takes about 12ft, but I keep it in the van as a 15ft length for customization to suit the particular VW.

I may still have yoru mail address, if so I'll forward one along.. and post a pic up in this thread.

Dan

Dan I stopped by your set up but you were out. Really wanted
to chat with you.
Daisy- I messed up and really should have thought more
about your situation to give you proper advice. I should have
been with you while you were giving the engine an inspection
before you left. I wasnt feeling the greatest this past weeken
and the heat didn't make it any better. I'll email you later
today. Everyone made it home safely and that's what's
important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me again today, just exiting a busy Tim Horton's, several long blocks from Nelson's shop. So I unload the back, go into compartment and yep, once again at 'knob' end. I expected it as what we did was really only a temporary fix. So all by myself, I fixed it just to get me to Nelson's and then to Cdn Tire to get an inner bike brake cable with just the right kind of end. I took pics so will post them later. I'm still not totally pleased but this is 100% better, instead of several different connections, there is now only one where the accelerator cable comes into the compartment. I couldn't get the c=clamps that are needed but I used some brass with tightening screw joiners. Took pics. I made a mistake taping one end of the cable and the engine reved at 3000 constantly. LOL, took the tape off and it was fixed.

I do have a accelerator cable from Justin at Greaseworks, I'll dig it out tomorrow. The bike brake cable is airplane cable and not mere twisted wire so I am more pleased with it.

Noboby should feel bad about not checking me checking my engine compartment. I saw the problem but with my limited experience I didn't think it was an accute problem, just something that would need attention. So I got caught with my pants down but I'll not forget the lesson(s). I believe I have the almost perfect solution and tomorrow I am going to reset the accelerator cable length as pick up is limited and sluggish. Will post some pics after I have dinner. THANKS ALL

ps I made a $5.00 tip today down at the shop. Nelson on holidays, one mechanic was at lunch and the other was busy and a very elderly arthritic deformed hands lady came in for someone to put the sticker on her license. So I said I could do it, grabbed a ratchett and socket, took her protector cover off, took off 10 years of stickers, put new one on and put it back together. Customers just think I'm great doing most of my own work (but not engine work). lol
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the '83 diesel vanagon cable is appealing, I actually prefer a properly spliced WBX to Jetta/Golf cable. If done right, there is no downside (other than the work of doing it right) and you gain adjustment at the pump end of the cable where the diesel vanagon cable has none.

The pump cable holder bracket can be fairly easily modified to move the cable to a position like that of the stock diesel vanagon. Coupled with an angled accelerator lever extension, there will be no rubbing on the lid.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, do you have any pics of what you mention?. What I've done today is far far superior to that which was done at the time of the initial conversion and was copied by the professional for engine #. He didn't like it but I didn't have any answers at that time. I am pleased now that what I accomplished this afternoon has removed several segments of wire and multiple connectors. Now there is only one connection point and a manufactured knob which gives a fair lead at the end point.

Sorrry the rubbing I'm talking about is at the cable end previous connection method. It did not allow a fair lead and rubbed due to the change of direction (almost right angle). That these breaks didn't happen before is amazing to me and gives kudo to the strength of the wiring, not the method used. It is corrected now.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok 5 pics posted in my gallery. The one on the green tarp is the original style. The other 4 are of today's installation done by someone else not of my wishes. As I said, too much slack, need to take it out tomorrow.

Can you find my mistake? Since I discovered it, have corrected it but still not perfect. Tomorrow, I make it perfect myself. ggggrrrrr

Can't remember how to post pics in here. Embarassed
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays replacement but needs to be tightened

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the original cable extensions ( 2 or 3)

re posting pictures: You can call me Anatasia or Brain Fart! Embarassed

Moderator note: image tags fixed.

Anastasia thanks you!

Last edited by DAIZEE on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played some more with it today. It's very much one of those 3 hand jobs, but alas only have 2 so I'm still not happy with the accelerator set.

Dug out my new Accelerator Cable from Justin last summer, it's marked as a Vanagon Diesel Acc Cable. How will I know if it's long enough for my set up? Do you attach a line and pull it thru front to back, I'm thinking back to front? MOST IMPORTANT tho is to know what length it needs to be. Anyone know for an AAZ TD conversion 1.9L? I'm bored with this project and just want it done but to do it right.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, three hand jobs? Dayamn!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no, no 3 hands at once job!!! Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...well, that changes everything.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: