Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo Diesel JX engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Folks, here's the deal; i need a turbocharger that bolts up to the JX manifold. same mounting as most VW turbo engines before 92.
i have a very limited budget. the new K14 i found on line is $810 shipped. that means going hungry for a month and a half.
i have a pile of good turbocharger parts. i need the most cost effective option to get a working turbo onto this engine. otherwise i will have to take the only turbine casting i have that is usable, block off the side the cartridge mounts in, and run with no boost.
those are the options.
so, who can help with either, a new cartridge for the K24, or a usable turbine casting for a K14?
unless one of you rich guys is feeling generous enough to send me a new turbo that will just bolt on.
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

my search for turbo parts has come up dry. nothing affordable anywhere i can find.
it looks like i will be running 'normally aspirated'
anyone want a bushel of good used triple K turbo parts?
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Typical of my "luck" i find a turbo after i give up looking.
i found a K24.
now the question is, any good ideas out there on how to connect the larger compressor intake to the JX air filter plumbing?
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

the K24 arrived last night. i expected to re clock it. the cartridge was about 180 degrees off of where i needed it, ant the compressor was off by about 45.
of course the turbo had to be mounted to see all this. of course i couldn't get the bolts loose with the turbo mounted.
i was able to loosen up the cartridge clamp bolts. i loosened the mounting bolts and got enough clearance to swing the wrench. once the cartridge rotated, i could get at all the bolts on the compressor housing clamps.
too bad that didn't do any good.
the compressor housing is locked onto the backing plate. it won't budge.
it isn't even that cold out, but after just a little work, all the joints in my hands are screaming in pain from working in the cold.
anyone got a heated garage they would loan me until this project is finished?
at the best predictable rate of progress, i can guaranty it will be finished before the end of the century.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

You got a smile in my face Smile
I am happy working atim in my garage in Italy. My frinds from germany told me iits cold and rainy.

Usually the intake side of the turbo turns easy.
The exhaust side can be difficult.
Spray it with wd40 put it into a vice ans use a hamer. But on the right place.
You sure know alreready that you have to bow the wastegate pipe new.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

nekto wrote:
Typical of my "luck" i find a turbo after i give up looking.
i found a K24.
now the question is, any good ideas out there on how to connect the larger compressor intake to the JX air filter plumbing?

Turn the z-hose and it will fit on the turbo.
cut about 1cm of , and it will fit into the engine bracet.
You can enter the other end of the z-hose into the plastic filter tube.
Use a robber hose from a motorcycle wheel to hold both together.
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Hi Waldi
i got the compressor housing loose by bringing it in where it is warm. then i tapped it carefully using a block of wood. it rotates easy enough now.
thanks for the tip on the "Z" hose. i had the thought of turning it around. glad to know that works.
one of the studs for the down pipe was bent when the turbo got here. i brought the turbo inside to get it out. two nuts on the stud tightened together and it came out no problem. i have a new stud waiting for me at the VW dealer.
other than that, the damaged joints in my hands were in screaming pain the last time i worked outside. handling the cold metal parts and tools aggravated my joints all the way to my shoulders. unless i find heated work space, i am done working until late spring.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is another pump that can be used in place of the Pump that is in the JX. I have seen tons of Mods that have been done with other pumps in the 1.6td. I have the pump in the pics above and have seen people have adjusted theres to gain upwards of 90-100Hp. I have checked vwdiesel.net but still can't find much on tuning this one. I have a syncro doka so there is plenty of room for it to sit straight up and be replaced. open to options!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Hello all
I have been on the hunt for months lurking on vwdiesel.net, thesamba.com, and a plethora of other forums to try to figure out the best route for my JX.
After much debate, i am wanting to restore my 1.6td jx and am looking for advice on what should be done. The engine runs strong have had no problems since purchasing it.
What i am look at.
1. The diesel pump is a natural aspirating one i think? I was wondering if there is a pump that can be swapped out to allow for adjustments like on some of the other turbo diesels i have seen.
2. Intercooler. Behind the air filter there is a fan that i assume is air to air for the turbo, i was wondering if anyone has a better solution and a more efficient for the turbo.
3. gauges I have seen every thread for gauges out there. I want a simple Tach, oil temp, and volt setup that is easy to setup.
4. transmission the gearing is a little off. 1st gear is very short and second seems to not gain any extra speed. third is dialed, and fourth has no steam. Any advice would be great.
5. Cylinder head Do i have a need to use an AAZ 1.9 head on my 1.6 jx? would it gain anything for me?
I am open to hearing any and all Ideas about what you think to use my current engine and gain more HP and keeping it alive. I live in the S.F. area so if anyone is near I can travel to see your setup or find a shop with the services i am looking for.

Here are the current SPECS.

1990 VW SYNCRO DOKA 1.6TD JX (I brought it in from europe last year)
This is the 247 model with the 16" arms and reienforced shocks.
Tranny-AHF0503 7
Pump- Bosch R170 BT4000
Turbo- k14
12v Turbo Electric fan (not sure it works)
Tires- 14"vanagon rims ( looking to Use a bigger all terrain Tire)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

the_last1 wrote:
1. The diesel pump is a natural aspirating one i think? I was wondering if there is a pump that can be swapped out to allow for adjustments like on some of the other turbo diesels i have seen.

Pictured is a JX turbo pump. It has a different aneroid setup than the typical bosch pump, but it does indeed have boost fuel enrichment.

Quote:
2. Intercooler. Behind the air filter there is a fan that i assume is air to air for the turbo, i was wondering if anyone has a better solution and a more efficient for the turbo.

In this picture you can see the turbo.

There is a hose clamped on that is going vertically UP from the aluminum compressor outlet. Does that hose go to your cooler or to the intake manifold? If it goes directly to the intake manifold, then the other thing is not an intercooler.

Quote:
3. gauges I have seen every thread for gauges out there. I want a simple Tach, oil temp, and volt setup that is easy to setup.

I'd rather have EGT, Boost, and Oil Pressure, but ok. Tach is nice. I have no real use for a volts gauge.

Quote:
4. transmission the gearing is a little off. 1st gear is very short and second seems to not gain any extra speed. third is dialed, and fourth has no steam. Any advice would be great.

How can second not gain any speed. I don't understand. There are gearing options. Top gear will be a trade off between poor acceleration, insufficient power to maintain higher speeds and/or overly high revs at highway cruising speeds.

Quote:
5. Cylinder head Do i have a need to use an AAZ 1.9 head on my 1.6 jx? would it gain anything for me?

No and no.

Quote:
I am open to hearing any and all Ideas about what you think to use my current engine and gain more HP and keeping it alive. I live in the S.F. area so if anyone is near I can travel to see your setup or find a shop with the services i am looking for.

Add intercooler, increase boost a bit, adjust fueling a bit, and enjoy the ride.
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

The fan behind the air filter is to cool the turbo,it should be switched on if and when the engine coolant gets to 107 deg c ( the auxiliary water pump should come on as well )
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
the_last1 wrote:

Pictured is a JX turbo pump. It has a different aneroid setup than the typical bosch pump, but it does indeed have boost fuel enrichment.

Quote:

In this picture you can see the turbo.

There is a hose clamped on that is going vertically UP from the aluminum compressor outlet. Does that hose go to your cooler or to the intake manifold? If it goes directly to the intake manifold, then the other thing is not an intercooler.

Quote:

I'd rather have EGT, Boost, and Oil Pressure, but ok. Tach is nice. I have no real use for a volts gauge.

Quote:

How can second not gain any speed. I don't understand. There are gearing options. Top gear will be a trade off between poor acceleration, insufficient power to maintain higher speeds and/or overly high revs at highway cruising speeds.

Quote:

No and no.

Quote:

Add intercooler, increase boost a bit, adjust fueling a bit, and enjoy the ride.

Wow! thanks Andrew! all very helpful, im new to the diesel realm, and haveing a hard time sourcing a repair manual. Most of what i have been sifting through has been through loads of forums.
I do agree on the EGT, Boost, oil temp, and Tach. Those will be key.
There is no intercooler after checking from the turbo, any recommendations on a setup? I have plenty of room to add one.
Any tips on adjusting the pump?
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

i have to mothball my engine under a tarp to survive the winter. any suggestions on raising the probability i will have a usable engine come spring would be appreciated.
michaelphand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

I bought a 91 syncro doka with a 1.6 JX this fall. It's been a battle trying to get it into proper running order. I need some serious help now, I've read endless threads trying to make sense of all the great information out there but now just really need some advice for my exact symptoms.

Problems first arose with exhaust gases in my coolant. This was fixed with a head and head gasket replacement. There were significant cracks near the pre-cumbustion chambers. The refurbished head was provided by Gustav, in Anacortes WA. A local VW diesel guru who has built dozens of these engines and other VW diesels.

About 150 miles after the head change, I started experiencing loss of power. Especially the load of going up any type of incline. There was also oil mist that was coming off the muffler and covering tailgate and engine. At certain RPMs there was a knocking sound which went away by switching gears or throttle level. I completly lost boost, which had been between 5-10psi.

Since that day,

-I have replaced Turbo cartridge. I assumed oil was going through exhaust through turbo seals.
-changed fuel and oil filter
-compression is at 325 in each cylinder. Obviously not great but engine still starts easy.

After a short test drive I still had no boost, low power and lots of smoke when trying to put the truck under load.

Things I've noticed that don't understand:

I pulled Cam cover and doubled checked timing. Perfect, but there was oil sludge near all the carrier bearings at the cam.

There was also lots of sludge in turbo charger, intake manifold and intake hoses.

I'm not really sure where to diagnose next. Injectors are currently being tested.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
-
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

hello folks.
i have acquired all the parts to install a ribbed belt system on the JAZ (for lack of a better term) engine i am building to replace the JX that blew up.
for any of you folks familiar with the flat belt hardware, the alternator bracket mounts differently than the usual 1.6 hardware. any information on what i need to bolt that up would be appreciated.
i have also gathered parts to build a turbocharger oil feed line. i am not looking forward to bending that beast.
as close as i am to having a working engine, my motivation is almost nonexistent. i am basically just going through the motions. any help that would prevent running into a brick wall, will probably end up doing the old horse a lot of good.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

Nekto! Welcome back from hibernation!

-Rob
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

thanks Rob. i wish i were still hibernating.
i am so tired of people telling me, with absolute certainty, things that are clearly false. this time it was alternator brackets. i was told, by more than one source, that AAZ, AHU, 1Z alternator brackets were all bolt on interchangeable with the JX set up i have. not.
the one i picked up, taken off an AHU, will not bolt up over the water pump on my AAZ. the part numbers are so close it hurts.
the one i have is 028 903 143 AB
ETKA tells me one that fits the AAZ is 028 903 142 AD
i am guessing the bracket i have mounts on studs listed in ETKA, but that leaves one bolt hole hanging over the edge.
if there is a different water pump housing, that might solve some of the problems. anyone have information on that?
any information would be appreciated.
it looks like i might be able to make it work with a handful of spacers.
either way, i can't mount the dipstick without machining the bracket.
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

it was warm enough today to work on the lump out in the back woods. i bought the "studs" ETKA listed on the page for the alternator bracket and mountings. i guessed right that one stud(028 260 821 A), listed as one needed, was the same one i needed for two holes. i also guessed right that another stud, not even shown in the illustration (028 260 821 C), was the one i needed for the fourth bolt hole. i had previously purchased 028 260 821 and determined it was correct for the top of the water pump,
i mounted the alternator bracket today. i have to find an alternative position for the dipstick, as the alternator bracket occupies the stock position of the JX dipstick.
while i was out there, i scoped out what i need to do to install the clutch and time the engine. no big deal, if i can get a couple competent hands to help.
after i came in, i found four ticks crawling on various parts of my body.
anyone still wonder why i would much rather work in a garage? Barn? abandoned factory? empty warehouse?
if i had had reasonably warm indoor work space over the winter, i would have had a running engine a year ago.
i already have another Lyme Disease infection (and zero medical coverage). good thing i know how to take care of that OTC.
life was so much easier on the oncology ward.
Can i go back on chemo? i felt so much better when i was on chemo.
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Diesel JX engine Reply with quote

the customized intake manifold arrived from my friend the welder/fabricator yesterday, while i was elsewhere.
i decided to check it out this afternoon. the welding looks top quality, but i wish i had mentioned taking better care of the mating surface. my friend works, almost entirely, on U.S. made machines. she doesn't have to take much care with mating surfaces when the gasket is more than 1/16 inch thick.
it was warm and sunny out at the engine stand, so i decided to bolt the manifold on. i sure don't have any better place to put it.
i hate working where i have zero capacity to clean parts. this is especially frustrating with intake parts. the best i could do was wipe things off with a shop towel.
then, an installation that should have taken all of ten minutes, took a half hour. i had to take the heat shield off the exhaust manifold to get the screws into the intake manifold. no dig deal, just time consuming. then there was the common frustration of no swing room for the wrench, some other aggravations.
of course, it all would have worked better if i wasn't so darned sick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: