Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door panel restoration
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Door panel restoration Reply with quote

The front door panels on my '64 Deluxe are all warped - this side is the better side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whilst I understand that warping can be somewhat resolved by getting the panel wet, and then pressing it flat again, I was wondering if anyone had had any success in removing the original vinyl, and transferring it to new panels?

I have a new oil tempered trim panel, ready to go, and a tin of contact adhesive, but I don't want to destroy the original vinyl. Any guidance would be most welcome, particularly with the safe removal of the original vinyl from the original board.

Many thanks.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel restoration Reply with quote

I have had success damping and flattening og interior panels.

I have also transferred old vinyl to new boards. This is very fussy.

For a basalt interior, I would use use new vinyl. The new repro is a very good match, and *much* easier to use than original.
Also, VW skipped the vapour barrier 61-67, which was a bad idea, and not recommended.

Your door panel is in excellent shape for a basalt original.
After flattening, I would use a vapour barrier (aka plastic sheet aka shower curtain) when installing. When it rains, water drips through the door; a river runs through it. Not that it rains in the UK. Smile

I did this old vinyl on new boards, before the repro soft green vinyl was available. It was for a patina bus with complete original interior.
I though the shadow of rear and middle seats was a nice touch.

Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel restoration Reply with quote

Thanks. I love the fading from the rear seat on your panels!

I'll probably stick with what I've got, as it needs to match with the original panels in the rear, and I'm not sure my budget can stretch to new vinyl (I don't think there is a stockist in the UK for the TMI vinyl on its own)

It looks like others have had success with re-using their existing vinyl, as per this thread: https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110313

It doesn't sound easy to remove all traces of the old hardboard and glue though. Careful use of sandpaper seems to be the agreed way of doing it.

I'll also have to buy lots of clips to hold the corners down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: