Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 Westy, my project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

That's a cool looking trophy for "under construction"...

Nice looking photos!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Thanks VDN!

silkvw wrote:
You have done a great job on that bus!

SOMEBODY brainwashed me at a young age! Razz Razz Razz

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

A few early Christmas presents for myself! New Pacesetter muffler to replace my kinda crummy Monza, oil sender boot (the old one crumbled when I replaced the sender), new pop top seal (my last one only lasted 3 year then started separating, but Ron at Bus Depot made it right!), oil filter, and plug wires. All this is needed, but also in preparation for the BBBB (Big Bend Bus Bash) coming up directly after Christmas!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

BBBB lookalike my kind of trip...bout ready to move south!!! Keep up the awesome work Bala!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Awsome work bala! I haven't checked out your thread for a little while and all I can say is wow..really like all your little improvements each time, thanks it really comes in handy as many other buses need this kind of love you give yours!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Embarassed
It's all about the journey!

Still time for any adventurous folks to join in! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
A few early Christmas presents for myself! New Pacesetter muffler to replace my kinda crummy Monza, oil sender boot (the old one crumbled when I replaced the sender), new pop top seal (my last one only lasted 3 year then started separating, but Ron at Bus Depot made it right!), oil filter, and plug wires. All this is needed, but also in preparation for the BBBB (Big Bend Bus Bash) coming up directly after Christmas!

Hey Bala- the bus is looking great- does make my work look a little shoddy... Very Happy

Quick question- I just got the exact same muffler for mine but haven't put it together yet as I am waiting for new HAM heads to arrive. Do you know what the bracket, mounted to the exhaust, on the left side is for? My old exhaust had the same bracket, but nothing mounted to it- Thanks.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

That bracket is just to stabilize the muffler I believe. Hopefully it lines up correctly, I've read that the flanges can be a little "off" and need modification. The tube looking thing is for the (missing) EGR system, and I'm just going to cap it off.

1966 Beetle
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
That bracket is just to stabilize the muffler I believe. Hopefully it lines up correctly, I've read that the flanges can be a little "off" and need modification. The tube looking thing is for the (missing) EGR system, and I'm just going to cap it off.

Cool- when I pulled my motor, with the same exhaust mounted, that bracket was not connected to anything- What are you going to use to cap the EGR part?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

JP6210 wrote:
Cool- when I pulled my motor, with the same exhaust mounted, that bracket was not connected to anything- What are you going to use to cap the EGR part?

Just some aluminum stock and a gasket probably. Or, to insure no leaks I might take it to a muffler shop that I like and is pretty VW friendly. They could weld it up in 5 minutes and for about 10 bucks.

1966 Beetle
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

nice score. i have that muffler and the flanges are a little bit off but not too bad. just used a stocky philips screwdriver to wedge in and line up the holes while bolting it together. hanging bracket lines up good just had to be bent in a little to meet up with the fan shroud. only thing i had trouble with was the top portside (driverside) bolt, i had a really hard time getting it tight. let me know if yours is the same or if its just user error on my part.

Have fun on the trip!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Waves2day wrote:
nice score. i have that muffler and the flanges are a little bit off but not too bad. just used a stocky philips screwdriver to wedge in and line up the holes while bolting it together. hanging bracket lines up good just had to be bent in a little to meet up with the fan shroud. only thing i had trouble with was the top portside (driverside) bolt, i had a really hard time getting it tight. let me know if yours is the same or if its just user error on my part.

Have fun on the trip!

Thanks for the tips!
I'm hoping to install it Friday evening.
Did you strip and paint yours?

1966 Beetle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

You can also fold that egr tube in half to seal it up fairly nicely. But welding is a much cleaner look.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Bala wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

I didnt strip and paint... i was too excited to get it running and driving. mine has turned mostly silver now with very little rust.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Waves2day wrote:
Bala wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

I didnt strip and paint... i was too excited to get it running and driving. mine has turned mostly silver now with very little rust.

Thanks, that's probably what I'll do. Glad we don't get road salt around here! I think it'll be fine for a while.

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

The Monza is no more!

The old nuts and bolts were pretty rusty, but actually came apart really easily! I know I lucked out there.

New German gaskets.

And, the old exhaust had a little homemade block off plate for the EGR outlet, so I just re-used it.

Made a little "gasket" out of foil. The only thing I could think of that was laying around.

And installed it looks way better!!!

Rusty old Monza:

EGR block off. Yes it's oily. I replaced the oil pressure switch and I think that's helping. New oil cooler seals are also on the list.

In the previous picture you can also see the hanger bracket. I had to really tweak it to get it to line up. It was WAY off. The actual muffler wasn't perfect, but with a little gently coaxing it was not too difficult to install. Just make sure you don't snug anything down until you have all 6 nuts and bolts installed. Also, the Pacesetter flanges are much thicker than the Monza (and probably stock as well). Keep that in mind when you go to the hardware store for replacements. I had to make two trips. Confused Also the way it lines up makes bolt length on the driver's side pretty exact. I had to go with non-metric bolts and a lock washer on the head side to get it perfect. But, now I have all new hardware and used anti-seize so if I want to go back and paint the muffler with high temp. paint it shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, over all I like the Pacesetter. Heavy gauge metal and it bolted up without too much trouble. It does make more of a "popping" sound than the Monza. Not like backfiring, just a sharper sound on acceleration. Might start a separate thread about this. It did drive just fine.

Also replaced my spark plug wires with Canadian made parts from Busdepot.

And, with the help of my dad (thanks pops!), installed the passenger's side rear window seal. There was a little rust along the base of the window, but nothing major. We cleaned it well, but didn't have time to treat/paint. Oh well, later down the road I'll pull it and do a little more. The clock is ticking for our Big Bend trip!

Used lamp cord and a little glass cleaner to install. My biggest tip would be to make sure the window goes in flat. Don't angle it. Use plenty of lube and it will eventually work it's way into the opening. Also, don't be afraid to give the glass some good slaps. Just take any rings off first!

We had to work fast because the sun was setting and it was getting chilly.

More updates coming soon as I prepare for my longest trip yet! Should be about 1200 miles total!

1966 Beetle
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

great work! have a good trip!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Waves2day wrote:
great work! have a good trip!

Thank you sir!

1966 Beetle
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Looking good Bala!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Westy, my project Reply with quote

Thanks!

I started up the bus last night and felt around the muffler flanges and there is a lot of leakage I didn't notice before. Confused I'm going to try and get some better gaskets and high temp sealant today.

1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: