Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baking Bumper to Bumper: Vanagons in Summer Traffic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Baking Bumper to Bumper: Vanagons in Summer Traffic Reply with quote

I turn to you, my fellow Sambanistas, for wisdom in a dilemma I have faced for two straight weeks, now.

About the worst case for summer traffic I can image is bumper-to-bumper in a manual, going up a hill--and Winston is my only manual. Vanagons are not typical vehicles, all generalities do not apply. I did all I could to minimize both our suffering.

I waited for a bit of a gap to open up before easing Winston at low RPM's forward in 1st and 2nd.

I coasted whenever possible to keep revs down.

I put him in neutral every time it was possible to save wear on the clutch and the hydraulic system.

I of course keep him full of good coolant and the cooling system is in good condition.

My tires are properly inflated.

I got the fan at a few intervals, and a bit of needle creep over the red indicator light, but nothing worse. I still worried if I was doing all I could. I didn't think running the heater would help a lot. Was I wrong?

What wisdom do you all have to offer about driving a manual Vanagon on hot summer day on hills in heavy traffic? I seek to profit from our collected experiences!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roll up the windows and cook on the dash.

seriously, I really try to avoid routes with lots of stop and go traffic and driving in the heat of the day or rush hour.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fan wired so that I can turn it on whenever I want. It still works as normal, but in traffic I can just leave it on. It just makes me feel better not seeing the temp needle creep up, then come back down when the fan comes on.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP

Last edited by foodeater on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Baking Bumper to Bumper: Vanagons in Summer Traffic Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I got the fan at a few intervals, and a bit of needle creep over the red indicator light, but nothing worse. I still worried if I was doing all I could. I didn't think running the heater would help a lot. Was I wrong?

Everything sounds normal. What exactly are you trying to alleviate?

Running the heater does bring down your coolant temp. But why? Your rad fan is doing its thing and your temp is within normal range.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't have one already may be you could try a lower range radiator fan switch.

also your actual switch may be covered with a layer of deposit which delay the trigger of the fan.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I was climbing steep hills on a bad dirt road with the A/C on full, and outside temps of 95+ F. The temp gauge climbed up to 7/8 full scale, and the high speed fan kicked on. The gauge did not keep climbing, and the high speed fan would cycle. I did keep an eye on the gauge, but this is normal operation and I was pleased that everything worked as intended.

I'd say you don't have a problem, and no need to worry. Here is a good article from GoWesty:
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=52
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the radio up and quit WORRYING.

I know you too well to know that is impossible and that is why i luv ya.

Try the rear heater first, it will bake the brow less.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater helps.

So does turning on the radiator fan.

On a van with AC, you can wire something up easy.

If no AC then you have to get creative.

How I can not tell you at this moment.

Also, on hills you can use the hand brake with your thumb on the button to keep from rolling back too much.

Every thing seems normal from your description.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's currently out of stock but here's a really cool little accessory from VanCafe http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1349_670/fan_controller.html
It's a little sail switch that turns on the fan when the outside temps are high and the van is crawling along. It even has a little LED that can go on the instrument cluster to show you when the fan is on (I guess for when you do have the radio turned up). I'm not sure but I think this may be a shoebox electronics product.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got caught in Phoenix once. Hot day, holiday traffic. Sucked!! Sounds like yours is doing just fine. Mine got a little higher on the gauge than what you described but I wasn't worried about it.

The thing that got me worried was with all the creeping along, 1st gear and sometimes 2nd, my clutch got kinda hot and started to slip. I finally just pulled over and let things cool down some. It seemed fine after that. Oh yeah, and after 45 minutes to go 10 miles on the freeway my left leg was getting really shaky and weak.
'96 BMW R1100GS
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
I know it's currently out of stock but here's a really cool little accessory from VanCafe http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1349_670/fan_controller.html
It's a little sail switch that turns on the fan when the outside temps are high and the van is crawling along. It even has a little LED that can go on the instrument cluster to show you when the fan is on (I guess for when you do have the radio turned up). I'm not sure but I think this may be a shoebox electronics product.

I seen one of those on a van at West River that had its
lower grill removed and I wondered what it was. The owner
wasn't around to ask. Now I know. That's perfect for the
paranoid driver.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: slow in a van Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus We don't have many traffic jams up here, but when we do I just love a syncro , put it in low low and just creep along. Kind of like having a drag race with a split screen. But this way does keep things cool! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relay+switch+your brain= rad fan override. Just do it.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive a diesel so generally I can creep along on the flat with very little temp rise BUT in 95+ temp it does go up, I drive with the front heater fan on (rear heater removed). In stopped traffic last week temp went WAY up, pulled over onto paved shoulder and guess what tried to get by me >>>a fire truck!!! Just some highways you can't pull over. Embarassed Got back in left lane pdf and as we were a parking lot now, just turned it off for almost 2 hours. Rolling Eyes

Question: have you changed your thermostat lately? plenty of comments about new thermostats not being big enough to allow functional cooling. I've asked if this could happen with a diesel which is pretty good at creeping along. The List has all the info. Widespread problem over North America, Canada & States.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to run the heater to keep the car from overheating to me that says something in the cooling system is not up to par. No doubt that vanagons have a few design flaws but the radiator is plenty adequate to cool the engine by itself. Sure the fan might come on frequently, maybe even the high speed from time to time but you should be able to creep along for hours on the sweltering blacktop when it's 105 out. I sure as heck would not want to be driving around with the heater on when it's that hot, that sounds like torture.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Many Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the replies. I don't think Winston was in any danger of overheating--what I was really asking was whether or not I'd overlooked any other tricks or Vanagon idiosyncrasies to keep the engine as cool as practically possible under such ghastly conditions.

Point of fact, Winston HAD A/C, the previous owner removed the compressor and it was only last Spring that I got rid of the last of the harness and finally blocked the holes for the tubes. I left the switch on the dashboard, with the thought that I can use it to turn the fan on at any time. The engine speeds up when I hit that switch and the fan turns on.

Just wondering if the other stuff I was doing was all I could do, or what I'd overlooked. He did fine, I just don't want to miss a trick if things were to keep going on like that.

Best!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes an automatic is just plain nice. Very Happy

At 100°F when crawling in traffic my low temperature fan switch will keep the fan running on low about 1/3 time. The gauge will never move.

For me the 75° fan switch and the stock thermostat seem to work well together.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everyone else; seems to be operating fine.

Wildthings wrote:
Sometimes an automatic is just plain nice. Very Happy

Indeed! Cool

Syncrozilla wrote:
...but you should be able to creep along for hours on the sweltering blacktop when it's 105 out. I sure as heck would not want to be driving around with the heater on when it's that hot, that sounds like torture.

I did just that in my Cabriolet once, and it was 116° out (Needles, CA in the middle of August). Shocked I was sweltering, but it saved the car from overheating on the highway.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Baking Bumper to Bumper: Vanagons in Summer Traffic Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

I coasted whenever possible to keep revs down.

Coasting whenever possible would be the approach to take to keep the engine temp as high as possible. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as this temp isn't too high. You'll get your best fuel economy.

At idle your water pump's impeller is moving at its slowest speed, circulating coolant as slowly as possible.

If instead you take every opportunity to decelerate, not only is the impeller moving faster (increased coolant flow through the rad), but also since the injectors are shut off, you have no ignition, and outside (cooler) air is being forced through the chambers cooling the engine.

If you have a downhill stretch and decelerate you should see you temp needle moving down after only about 2 blocks or so.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Levi! Reply with quote

A thoughtful response, Levi, no less than what I'd expect from you. It sounds as if I should have hit the otherwise-useless A/C switch on the dash, or at least hit it if the needle crept too much. On the downhill I didn't feel too bad about coasting, what the engine wasn't doing wouldn't heat it up, was my thought. Yours about the water pump and circulation, though, was well-founded. So much to think about, so many factors... But all worth considering.

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: