Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plugs not firing, coil getting extremely hot.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs not firing, coil getting extremely hot. Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Twest451 wrote:

The negative wire from the coil isnt hooked up to anything, however my condenser doesn't have a spot for it and the car started just fine before and the negative wire wasn't hooked up to anything. Please help Very Happy

It CAN'T run without the wire from the negative side of the coil to the condensor/points.

I didn't catch that part.

Yeah what gives...it has to be connected.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs not firing, coil getting extremely hot. Reply with quote

Twest451 wrote:

The negative wire from the coil isnt hooked up to anything, however my condenser doesn't have a spot for it and the car started just fine before and the negative wire wasn't hooked up to anything. Please help Very Happy

It CAN'T run without the wire from the negative side of the coil to the condensor/points.
Greg!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also start with replacing the points and condensor.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean or what you may have done, so just start with the basics.

If the coil is getting too hot with the key on while cranking, it's probably because it is grounded all the time and current is constantly flowing through it. That is not supposed to happen during normal operation/running.

It's the points job to ground the coil on and off much like a switch at regular intervals (with some dwell time) when the engine/distributor rotates. If it's grounded all the time, a coil will get very hot, and run your battery down pretty quick too.

If you can see that the points are opening and closing and they were working before, then you may have wired something wrong. As in the diagram above, the black wire to coil terminal #15 should have 12v power only when the key is on or while cranking. The green "negative" wire from the coil terminal #1 does not go to ground, it goes to the points only. It should not touch the distributor body or any other ground.

The condenser is not shown in this simplified drawing, but it's main function is to suppress the arcing of the points. It's lead wire is connected to the points/coil "negative" terminal #1 in parallel only, and it does not connect to the distributor body or any other ground except at it's mounting base.

Hope this helps, and please post a picture of your coil/distributor/wiring if you have any other questions.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above- Me thinks you are having an issue with your condenser. It may look fine but... The condenser wire is supposed to go to the negative side of your coil.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a basic reference manual of some sort.

The negative side of the coil hooks to the condenser. The positive side to the ignition switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twest451
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Spark Plugs not firing, coil getting extremely hot. Reply with quote

I have a 1963 beetle baja. The engine was running but had a severe popping issue. I notice a bad air leak in the carb so I took it off and sealed the gasket that was leaking. After doing this, the car wouldn't start. It would crank but it wouldn't start. At first I assumed it was the carb since the problem happened right after I messed with the carb. However after inspection, I realized the carb is sucking air and getting gas so it cant be the carb. I realized the spark plugs weren't firing so I began to diagnose the ignition system. I had a 6 volt coil in before hooked up to a 12 volt battery. I bought another 6 volt coil and installed it and it didn't work. Then I bought a 12 volt coil and installed it and it still wont start. I heard it may be my condenser and points so I checked and they dont appear to be fried or anything. I just cranked the engine with the distributor cap off and the coil became so hot I couldn't touch it for more than a second without being burned. I am wondering what the problem could possibly be. The spark plugs still aren't firing. The negative wire from the coil isnt hooked up to anything, however my condenser doesn't have a spot for it and the car started just fine before and the negative wire wasn't hooked up to anything. Please help Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: