Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam choice for 1300 build...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Cam choice for 1300 build... Reply with quote

I recently picked up a numbers matching 66 bug. The old 1300 is pretty tired and I'm going to rebuild it. Not interested in bumping it to a 15 or 1600, I want to keep it a 1300.

On the flip side, sort of, I'd like to do a "fluff and buff" on the heads and maybe put a cam in it to get just a little more out of it. The end goal is to create a "period correct" type performance engine. It's more for nostalgic reasons than anything else.

So, would maybe a CB cheater work nice for that or something else or should I just stick with the stock cam?

BTW I'm also kicking the idea around of putting a Judson on it, again more for the period/nostalgic type idea.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2280 is a very good choice, - along with a compression raise to at least 8, preferably 8,3 to 8,5 - 1 dependant on your choice of fuel.

I rebuilt a couple of 1300 sgl. ports about 1½ years ago. Installed a 35,5 mm inlet valve though, along with cleaned up heads better valve job etc. They pull 52ish hp and 100ish NM torque. They keep up with stock stock 1500 engines without a problem.

T
PS. I forgot to write, that I also ligthened the flywheel 1 Kg and of course balanced the rotating assembly. I also used a quality stock exhaust (Ernst)

The lighter flywheel makes the engine much more "fresh" in lack of a better word. It takes a lot of the lazyness away and it does only barely affect idle take off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alstrup.... seems there is not many people who like the small engines. Very Happy
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:
Thanks Alstrup.... seems there is not many people who like the small engines. Very Happy

I love em Very Happy
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the Cheater cam.....with a set of CB's Lightweight Racing Lifters.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: