Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace radiator fan without draining coolant?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Replace radiator fan without draining coolant? Reply with quote

Hello,

my radiator fan has been making very unhealthy noises for a long time, got a good used replacement. I really don't want to drain the coolant for this job... It is recently new and has been flushed. it looks like if one were bold and careful enough, you could disconnect the plastic fan from the motor, remove the fan through the shroud while still in the van, and then have enough room to remove the motor as well. Install new as reverse of removal. Anybody done it this way or something similar? The most difficult part would be removing and reattaching the fan circlip blind while laying on your back under the van.

My van is a 1990 without A/C, and has the 3 blade fan.

-Rob
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace radiator fan without draining coolant? Reply with quote

This is why the front radiator hoses are so long. They let you lower the radiator without unhooking it from the cooling system. It is very heavy when full and need s to be lowered by a jack so it can be raised back up with the jack.

Mark

Robw_z wrote:
Hello,

my radiator fan has been making very unhealthy noises for a long time, got a good used replacement. I really don't want to drain the coolant for this job... It is recently new and has been flushed. it looks like if one were bold and careful enough, you could disconnect the plastic fan from the motor, remove the fan through the shroud while still in the van, and then have enough room to remove the motor as well. Install new as reverse of removal. Anybody done it this way or something similar? The most difficult part would be removing and reattaching the fan circlip blind while laying on your back under the van.

-Rob
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks got the job done.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace radiator fan without draining coolant? Reply with quote

Would there be enough room to replace the shroud as well (got the wrong AC and have a non-AC coming in) or that's a little larger requiring the draining?

Thanks!

crazyvwvanman wrote:
This is why the front radiator hoses are so long. They let you lower the radiator without unhooking it from the cooling system. It is very heavy when full and need s to be lowered by a jack so it can be raised back up with the jack.

Mark

Robw_z wrote:
Hello,

-Rob

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen that many early vans but if you remove the retainers holding the pipes to the chassis, just above the steering rack, you gain a few precious extra bits of room to lower the entire rad asembly which allows for the six self tappers to be pulled and shroud removed.
The long hoses will be bent to get the top ones.
Support the assembly well, it is heavy well filled with coolant.

Your shroud will ship Monday AM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: