Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble with dryer, do I have appropriate voltage?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Trouble with dryer, do I have appropriate voltage? Reply with quote

I just bought a 1962 home and purchased a new digital samsung washer and dryer. The washer has been great but the dryer has only turned on once. I have scheduled for a geek squad technician to come out but in the meantime I checked my outlet voltage.

I have a three prong outlet, from hot to hot I have 244 volts. from one neutral to hot I have 95 volts and from the other hot to neutral I have 97 volts.

I believe I should be somewhere around 110 or 120 on the hot from neutral readings. Do I have insufficient voltage?

Also, as a contingency a new 200 amp circuit board was installed and there are dual 30 amp breakers that do not pop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three prong outlet has two hots and a neutral, but no ground.
Check the voltage at any convenient electrical outlet, from hot to neutral. If in the same 95-97 range, then must trace the problem back to the main panel. You could have a transformer problem with the utility or a loose/corroded neutral from the meter. A check inside the main panel with a meter between the neutral bus and a hot lug should confirm this. It should be repaired by a licensed electrician.

If you have about 120 at the other outlets, you have some diagnosis to do. Pull the cover off the main panel. If you have low voltage readings everywhere in the house, you have a problem beyond the abilities of the average homeowner to fix. If you only have low voltage between hot and neutral at the dryer, then you need to look inside the panel at the connection from the dryer's neutral wire to the neutral bus bar. A new panel will have the grounds landing on one bus bar and the neutrals landing on another. Years ago they landed all the grounds and neutrals on a common bus but that isn't OK anymore, I don't think.
Unplug the dryer, kill the breaker(s) feeding the dryer and reach in and wiggle the dryer's neutral wire. Check the screw holding it down. It should be very tight and show zero corrosion. Now test it with your voltmeter with one lead on the neutral wire and one on the hot bus or on some other hot wire inside the panel. 120? Good. Now go back to the dryer and test the receptacle. If the problem is solved, you had a loose neutral in the panel. If not, turn the power back off to the dryer and check the neutral wire where it connects to the dryer receptacle. If the neutral wire feeding the dryer gave you 120 at the panel and 95 at the box, then get it fixed by someone who can pull a new wire. Have them pull a ground too, and change to a 4 prong.

Be careful! Do not reach into any area where you may contact 240. Never look away from where your fingers and tools are. You cannot let go of 240.

If any of this seems scary or beyond your abilities, hire someone. If not, do some diagnosis and tell us what you find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: